Can't wait to read the new CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabi

Feb 27, 2002
Lancaster, NY
Visit site
I hope either the NHL or NHLPA publishes it as soon as they can once it's ratified...

I've looked at the old one on the NHLPA's site as well as NHL.com and find all the intracacies so interesting...

Ok, reading it is something that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy, but I've had a lot of time on my hands with a broken patella, femur, and tibia...

I've printed out the entire CBA(all 144 pages), just to be able to compare once the new one is made...

Ok, so I'm a geek!!!

SedinFan*

rabi said:
I hope either the NHL or NHLPA publishes it as soon as they can once it's ratified...

I've looked at the old one on the NHLPA's site as well as NHL.com and find all the intracacies so interesting...

Ok, reading it is something that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy, but I've had a lot of time on my hands with a broken patella, femur, and tibia...

I've printed out the entire CBA(all 144 pages), just to be able to compare once the new one is made...

Ok, so I'm a geek!!!

The joys of healing eh?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
What else are we going to do through the summer? I think the regulars around the business board will be dissecting every angle of this like they do when they read a news report and put every spin imaginable on what's being said.

I'd wager to say that you are in the majority here with printing the CBA. I could see a regular wallpapering his/her walls to find the tiniest morsel that, when deciphered correctly, negates a clear victory for the Owners or the Players

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Here's a question I've never figured out - why does it matter so much who "wins" or who's "right" or who's "to blame" for this whole lockout? I would just go with the fact that we all know both sides have made stupid decisions, both sides are very dug in to what they believe is the right approach, and it's undeniably bad for the sport now and will be good for the sport when it gets signed.

These people who devote all their energy to calling one side or the other stupid befuddle me.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
rabi said:

Ok, so I'm a geek!!!

Been there, done that...and I skimmed through other leagues CBAs also. Seems to me like other sports are much more detailed though (see NFL/NBA--both are soo long and full of loopholes to make players happy )
:sarcasm:

SPARTAKUS*

Kritter471 said:
Here's a question I've never figured out - why does it matter so much who "wins" or who's "right" or who's "to blame" for this whole lockout? I would just go with the fact that we all know both sides have made stupid decisions, both sides are very dug in to what they believe is the right approach, and it's undeniably bad for the sport now and will be good for the sport when it gets signed.

These people who devote all their energy to calling one side or the other stupid befuddle me.
Kritter, I agree with you 110%. As far as I am concern I could not care less which side "wins" this lockout. I want this lockout to end so that we can start rebuilding this great game. The players and the owners will have a lot work to do to bring back the fans, especially in the US.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Kritter471 said:

I agree, it's just that you know it's going to happen in the end, it's going to be a resounding victory for ______

i'd much rather fill the blank in with "Fans" than either player or the owners.

WC Handy*

futurcorerock said:
I agree, it's just that you know it's going to happen in the end, it's going to be a resounding victory for ______

Victory for fans = Victory for owners

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
futurcorerock said:

True true.

I guess people like to argue about all of this, and especailly with no season, need something to keep them going. it's just such a phenominal waste of brainpower to go around and around arguing about X, Y or Z will win or have already won. And as soon as the new CBA is released, I know one side will crow about how "they" were right all along, and all I'll want to say is ,"Yay you. You should rule the world."

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
WC Handy said:
Victory for fans = Victory for owners

Not necessarily. I think most are counting on that, but it might not happen. What is stopping the owners from pocketing all their money and just continue to hose the fans? Absolutely nothing. IMO owners are on top of the greed scale, so a victory for owners does not mean a victory for fans.

WC Handy*

Icey said:
Not necessarily. I think most are counting on that, but it might not happen. What is stopping the owners from pocketing all their money and just continue to hose the fans? Absolutely nothing. IMO owners are on top of the greed scale, so a victory for owners does not mean a victory for fans.

I wasn't insinuating that a victory for the owners would result in lower ticket prices. It won't. Ticket prices will continue to be set by supply and demand, so they will go down to bring the fans back but then they'll go back up.

What I meant is that a league with 30 competitive team is a good thing for fans. I'm sure Wings and Avs and Leafs fans will disagree, but my concern is the entire league. Plus, even if the owners do start making money hand over first that's a good thing for the fans because it's always better to have good owners in the league.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
What I meant is that a league with 30 competitive team is a good thing for fans.

it's one thing to have a competative league where every team is talented, and it's another to have a competative league where every team is mediocre. I'm hoping the NHL doesn't end up being mediocre, i'd rather see some teams bomb and fold than to see the entire NHL wallow in mediocrity (well, that's kind of what it's been doing lately anyways...)

WC Handy*

Levitate said:
it's one thing to have a competative league where every team is talented, and it's another to have a competative league where every team is mediocre. I'm hoping the NHL doesn't end up being mediocre, i'd rather see some teams bomb and fold than to see the entire NHL wallow in mediocrity (well, that's kind of what it's been doing lately anyways...)

That hasn't happened in either of the two leagues with a cap already in place so there's no reason to think it will happen now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Levitate said:
That perfectly sums up a Fans point of view on the issue. Watering down teams can only lead in one direction to the on ice product and if other hockey markets benefit from the best players no longer playing in the clutch and grab NHL filled with glorified AHLers in cost cutting measures to line owners pockets I don't see the win for the fans either ..

WC Handy*

The Messenger said:
That perfectly sums up a Fans point of view on the issue. Watering down teams can only lead in one direction to the on ice product and if other hockey markets benefit from the best players no longer playing in the clutch and grab NHL filled with glorified AHLers in cost cutting measures to line owners pockets I don't see the win for the fans either ..

That hasn't happened in either of the two leagues with a cap already in place so there's no reason to think it will happen now.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
The Messenger said:
Levitate said:
it's one thing to have a competative league where every team is talented, and it's another to have a competative league where every team is mediocre. I'm hoping the NHL doesn't end up being mediocre, i'd rather see some teams bomb and fold than to see the entire NHL wallow in mediocrity (well, that's kind of what it's been doing lately anyways...
That perfectly sums up a Fans point of view on the issue. Watering down teams can only lead in one direction to the on ice product and if other hockey markets benefit from the best players no longer playing in the clutch and grab NHL filled with glorified AHLers in cost cutting measures to line owners pockets I don't see the win for the fans either
How does a salary cap or linkage water down the talent? Does Nash, LeCavalier, or Kovalchuk lose their skills because their teams have to spend less money?

What is the correlation between salay caps and talent??

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
WC Handy said:

Player freedom is the reason it has not in a Hard Cap world .. Shopping you services on the open market have kept greedy owners honest in their offers and contracts awarded as its the market that sets the prices not the rules of the CBA.

Slavery and a Hard Cap could be a dangerous precedence for the NHL .. Where a players only opportunity is to withhold services and that certainly does not benefit fans ..

If the NHL owners provided the NHL player with as much freedom as the other Hard Cap sports leagues then I am sure the NHLPA would have no problem allowing the owners their Hard Cap and financial cost certainty ..

Living all my life in a free society, I guess has tainted my view of freedom of choice I suppose ..

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The Messenger said:

How are the teams watered down? Less money for teams to spend = less money players can sign for. Sure, you won't have teams who can buy the cup anymore, but talent comes regardless of the paycheck.

The most I'll concede is that implementing a cap may mess up a few teams short term. However, once they get their budget set, and as players get used to the cap, the talent will be signed.

SENSible1*

The ONLY way that talent is lessened is if the NHL is no longer the highest paying league in the world. The new capped CBA will ensure that they still remain far and away the most lucrative place for hockey players to ply their trade.

Sorry, but that is a poorly thought out theory.

WC Handy*

The Messenger said:

Player freedom is the reason it has not in a Hard Cap world .. Shopping you services on the open market have kept greedy owners honest in their offers and contracts awarded as its the market that sets the prices not the rules of the CBA.

Slavery and a Hard Cap could be a dangerous precedence for the NHL .. Where a players only opportunity is to withhold services and that certainly does not benefit fans ..

If the NHL owners provided the NHL player with as much freedom as the other Hard Cap sports leagues then I am sure the NHLPA would have no problem allowing the owners their Hard Cap and financial cost certainty ..

Living all my life in a free society, I guess has tainted my view of freedom of choice I suppose ..

Wow. Did you really just compare the potential NHL CBA to slavery?
:shakehead

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
HockeyCritter said:
How does a salary cap or linkage water down the talent? Does Nash, LeCavalier, or Kovalchuk lose their skills because their teams have to spend less money?

What is the correlation between salay caps and talent??
Kovalchuk made $ 3 mil last year playing in his home country .. What happens if he choses that again in the future ?? Crosby is considering Europe even if a new CBA and NHL season is ahead .. Why would his agent be suggesting that ??

Salary caps that encourage players to seek work outside the NHL has a direct effect on NHL game and its the Salary Cap that makes that an issue ..

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
The Messenger said:

You really are quite fond of hypebole aren't you.

Slavery, you're equating playing a flippin’ hockey game (where even the lowest salaried players are well compensated) to slavery. That’s beyond classless, that’s downright myopic not to mention insulting.

These are players, players who by their own volition elected to play a game. They weren’t forced to become hockey player. They wanted to do so. They elected to play in the NHL with all it's glory and warts. If they are so dismayed with the working conditions they are more than free to retire or play in Europe.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
The Messenger said:
Kovalchuk made $ 3 mil last year playing in his home country .. What happens if he choses that again in the future ?? Crosby is considering Europe even if a new CBA and NHL season is ahead .. Why would his agent be suggesting that ??

Salary caps that encourage players to seek work outside the NHL has a direct effect on NHL game and its the Salary Cap that makes that an issue ..
Then let them. I am not certain I want a player more concerned with the bottom line than with the win/loss record. Sure the League might lose a few players (I suspect less than 5-percent will jump ship) but there are more than enough hungrier players to fill those slots. Russia (the only league offering high salaries) cannot continue to pay extremely large salaries. If they do so, they will be right where the NHL is today in a few short years. NHL players will be well compensated, have excellent playing conditions, a great benefits package, excellent insurance and medical coverage, highly specialized training, and a very, very good pension plan. That is more than other leagues can offer.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
WC Handy said:
Wow. Did you really just compare the potential NHL CBA to slavery?
:shakehead

What term would you prefer then that best describes a player rights being controlled from 18 to 30 years old.??

Being drafted into a labour force you never signed up for, often forced to work in a foreign country for the player. Is at the mercy of the owners every wish that now owns him, with no opportunity to leave and seek employment elsewhere.

Its the first thing that came to my mind with all things considered ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->