'Can't miss' potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I agree with that list, and would add Kesler as well. He's already shown he can play at the nhl level. I see no reason to think he won't be a successful third liner

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
komisakick ass said:
idem for Fritsche (IMO)
I like Fritsche but does he have the heart to play on a bad team. I heard from Sting fans that he just didn't want to be there. That wasn't encouraging to hear, especially when I wanted NJ to draft him first round in 2003.

Victory Ali*

Zack FitzGerald looks like he'll be a decent #4 d-man in the NHL.

Agreed on Kesler and Bergeron, they'll have long careers in the pro game.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
I'd be shocked if Mike Richards doesn't play at least 8-10 seasons in the league.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Can't miss is a term that really should never be applied to a prospect. Cartainly not borderline prospects like Lappiere, Locke and Korpikari.

Anyways, the guys who are closest to this that I see:

Zherdev, Phaneuf, Staal, Bergeron.

Most of them have played quite a bit in the NHL, which is about all that gives you can't miss status.

edit: typo

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jason MacIsaac said:
I like Fritsche but does he have the heart to play on a bad team. I heard from Sting fans that he just didn't want to be there. That wasn't encouraging to hear, especially when I wanted NJ to draft him first round in 2003.

He gave it his all on a "troubled" U.S. WJC team and has had no problems with a less than stellar Columbus squad. The big concern with Fritsche will be whether his shoulders can hold up. If they do, he'll be an excellent 2nd line player in the NHL for years.

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Asiaoil said:
Ah your "shutdown center" is wearing a -9 .Tell me you are joking here :lol

What's next for you Parise fans - does he turn water into wine on Sundays and cure the blind.
Maybe you shopuld have interpreted this statistic alittle further before commenting. +/- is a totally un useful statistic to look after a single individual without comparing him to his teammates.

If you look on the Alabany roster, only one player is on the + side of the +/-. He has a +9 and the worst player has a -21. And if you look at each player, Parise is right in the middle of the pack with his -9 and if you remove player who played under 50 games Parise is in the Top 10 of his team in that category which is pretty repectable and if you take only centers he's right at the number two spot.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Can't miss is a term that really should never be applied to a prospect. Cartainly not borderline prospects like Lappiere, Locke and Korpikoski.

i think you mean korpikari, since he was the one mentioned in this thread...not korpikoski, who was drafted by the rangers in 2004

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Guys, everybody knows that Zherdev, Stall, Bergeron and all that groups are "can't miss potential"...They played and performed well in the NHL. It would be fun if some of you could make a list of some of the later round pick who have some decent chance to make it to the NHL.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Guys, everybody knows that Zherdev, Stall, Bergeron and all that groups are "can't miss potential"...They played and performed well in the NHL. It would be fun if some of you could make a list of some of the later round pick who have some decent chance to make it to the NHL.

from 2003? I'll go out on a limb and say Ivan Baranka. I don't predict him to be a star but I think his style and ability make him a very good bet to be a solid, if unspectacular defenseman in the NHL.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Asiaoil said:
Ah your "shutdown center" is wearing a -9 .Tell me you are joking here :lol

What's next for you Parise fans - does he turn water into wine on Sundays and cure the blind.

The entire team with the exception of Rheaume is minus and he is the 2nd highest center on the team in plus minus, again behind Rheaume

The Kid is good and I would have to say he is can't miss, he tends to make everyone around him better. Look at UND this year, they lost three seniors, only one of which scored with any regularity and then him and Bochenski left early. Other than that, everyone else came back and they had an awesome freshman class and UND went from the McNaughton cup champions with a potent offense to a team that could barely score and finished in 5th place.
Parise made a huge difference to that team, and he will be a staple in the NHL for the Devils, bank on it

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
Freaky Habs Fan said:

Well, the title of the thread is "can't miss prospects." Those are the guys that can't miss. It is hard to label late-rounders as can't miss when we are still less than two years since they've been drafted. I wouldn't be opposed to another thread, though, which explores late round "steals," although those have been done in the past. Thank you NHL lockout.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Thornton97 said:
Well, the title of the thread is "can't miss prospects." Those are the guys that can't miss. It is hard to label late-rounders as can't miss when we are still less than two years since they've been drafted. I wouldn't be opposed to another thread, though, which explores late round "steals," although those have been done in the past. Thank you NHL lockout.

I know that but the thread is starting to be very boring so I'm just trying to bring something new to it...

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Levitate said:
from 2003? I'll go out on a limb and say Ivan Baranka. I don't predict him to be a star but I think his style and ability make him a very good bet to be a solid, if unspectacular defenseman in the NHL.
I actually second that

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Staal, Zherdev, Vanek, Suter, Phaneuf, Coburn, Carter, Brown, Getzlaf, Parise, Stuart, Seabrook, Burns, Kesler, Richards, Stewart, Belle, Bergeron, Fritsche, Colliton, MacArthur, Fraser and Weber all look like can't miss to me at this point. But of course anything is possible.

Eaves, Horton, Michalek, Egener would make the list but for concussion or other injury concerns that make them slightly more risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad