Can't deny it anymore.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Minor complaint I guess but I'm fed up with the commentary.

I have 4 guys who are in the top 10 in the league for hits, and every game Eddie O says some nonsense about "They're not known for hitting but this guy is like a rose among the thorns". Every game. They know that people will play a lot of games, yet they record enough commentary track for a game or two before it's repeat repeat repeat.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL

I have 4 guys who are in the top 10 in the league for hits, and every game Eddie O says some nonsense about "They're not known for hitting but this guy is like a rose among the thorns". Every game. They know that people will play a lot of games, yet they record enough commentary track for a game or two before it's repeat repeat repeat.

That's more bad scripting than it is a lack of commentary, but your point is still valid. They need about three times as many lines as they currently have.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
That's more bad scripting than it is a lack of commentary, but your point is still valid. They need about three times as many lines as they currently have.
Emerick is the most god awful commentator I've ever heard.

CATTAWAMPUS into the corner.
Everything is academic here.
For over a century hockey has been three periods instead of two halves,and we're heading to the third now.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I haven't played a NHL game for probably 5-6 years, so this game is pretty foreign to me.

At first, I thought it was pretty cool and much more realistic--which is true, but it was probably also a case of 'shiny new toy' syndrome. The more I play this, though, the more I see how much work EA has to do to get this series to start catching up to MLB The Show (which is the other series, I play).

The gameplay on this, while more realistic, still has some major issues. First, these are supposed to be NHL players, for chrissakes. Getting them to stop and start, turn and go a different direction, etc., shouldn't be like trying to do an about-face with the Titantic. I'm (obviously) not playing in the NHL, but I'm a decent hockey player in real life and I can do tighter turns and quicker stops than the players on here.

Second, the AI is good, but also stupid. About 6 times a game, I'm trying to carry the puck into the zone on the wing and right at the offensive blueline my own player cuts right in front of me and stops me from entering the zone or causes me to lose the puck. Also, the AI cannot read and react to loose pucks at all. I've had it happen a number of times in the slot where my AI is the closest to a quick rebound but will not start moving toward it. By the time I take control of that player, I've already lost the puck race to the other team.

Third, the poke check spamming is annoying as hell. They need to figure out a way to tone down the effectiveness of poke checks.

Fourth, and related to the poke check, the passing is too slow to react when going back for a loose puck. In real life you can tap the puck up the boards or to someone as soon as you reach it when it's loose. Not in this game, though, and it leads to lame poke checks when in reality the puck would have been long gone.

That's all I can think of right now, but I know there's more that bugs this shit out of me about this game.

member 262271

One of my pet peeves was Doc not saying names of players who had significant seasons last year - but some random player is called by name. Ferraro talks about current rookies quite a bit (though not at first) - it began with his Nico Hischier blurb. From there he's brought up Matthews, Laine, Marner etc. Just the other day I was playing and Matthews name was suddenly being said by everybody. Must've been added at the last update?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

Eddie O is soooo bad. I've only got 17 but every other comment is "my dad used to say, if you cant hit the net you cant score" or some other useless variant. Is he really that much of a moron in real life?

Also, I hear he has cancer, so I'm not trying to rag on a guy when he's down, he just sucks in these games, realllllly badly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad