Can't deny it anymore.

Finnhockeyfann

Dec 5, 2015
Yeah im tired this shit too. Be a pro its still that same boring mode like it has been many years. Nothing really happens there at all. Its just dosent feel that its real team and hockey u are playing.

Franchise is mode that i usually play. Its too get boring after coupple of season. I think this was my last ea game for long time. Maybe its time to say good bye this garbage. f*** u ea. 2kk come back and make good hockey game again.

And why ea removed National teams from game?????

Reactions: Pickles and CamMac

CamMac

Jan 3, 2015
EA only cares about Madden and FIFA. This is the first year since 05 that I have not bought the game and I have many friends who skipped out too. NHL 14 was the last good rendition, after that it's pretty much been glorified roster updates.

f*** EA. What a terrible company.

Reactions: Pickles

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I found a new glitch. On the Florida Panthers roster, Roberto Luongo is an assistant captain and there's nothing you can do about it. He can't be unassigned him from this role :laugh:

Edit:

Turns out it can be solved by trading him and trading him back. Didn't think of that at first.

Last edited:

DarthDangl

Oct 3, 2017
Killa So Cal
I gave up on the series at NHL14, I always check each year to see if its fixed. Namely (passing, and A.I) saddens me to see everything has only gotten worse from what i can tell. Hopefully they will take a good hard look at NBA2k's and give us back player control and substance to the game

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The trouble with them is they only care about the cash cow, HUT. which receives regular updates and goodies. I find BAP and Franchise mode far more interesting. Franchise mode got a nice overhaul but is still missing some stuff. BAP needs a face lift. I feel like it should be more of an RPG. They need to alter the Junior leagues to reflect their scoring rates and not the NHL's. There shouldn't be like 2- 90 point players at the top of the WHL after a season. They need to try and bring in the USHL and get the NTDP in there as well to expand the player base. They need to actually care about the Junior rosters.. for example the newest update still doesn't have Svehcnikov on Barrie.
The two most important things are they need roster sharing and the ability to add leagues, change structures and create teams in those leagues. If we can't have the NCAA at least let us add it.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
EA is just a terrible company. Despite a ton of resources and quite a library of games, they have released very few real classics. The higlights for me have been System Shock 2, Shogun Total War, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Mass Effect 1, the original Dungeon Keeper and Battlefield 1942. Probably a couple missing but EA releases a bunch of crap every year and has killed or ruined a many classic game studios like Westwood, Bullfrog and Bioware. Its too bad the NHL games are made by EA as they rarely get their sports games right. Just look at FIFA's gameplay and compare it to what Konami is doing, the difference in quality is massive. Despite all this their products do sell a lot of copies for some damn reason, I guess it just shows how putting cash on marketing creates loyal customers.

Reactions: Pickles

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Holy ice tilt, Batman!

Started my franchise season 3-0-0... but I just got through one of those EA specials where the game has decided that you flat out aren't going to win, no matter how well you might play. Out-shot my opponent 44-25 and lost 3-0. Their goals were hardly laser beams, but Jake Allen was stopping slam dunks all game long.

f*** ice tilt with a rusty knife.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Everyone in this thread is right on about all the shitty parts of the game. There are so many things wrong with it, and there have been for many years.

I think the most annoying part for me is how they obviously just don't care, and it shows in the little things. For example, the Binghamton Senators moved to Belleville and are now the Belleville Senators. The Albany Devils moved to Binghamton and are now the Binghamton Devils. Yet if you play a game as the Binghamton Devils, the commentators call them "Belleville" and "the Senators." Similarly, if you play as the Belleville Senators, you'll hear them called "the Bulls."

It's probably the last problem on the long list of things wrong with this game, but it's just such a simple fix and they obviously don't care at all. I hate spending money on this game and probably won't after they suckered me in again this year.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
This is the first year that I haven't at least rented an NHL game. This series used to be a sports innovator now it's behind every major league sports series. It's sad to see what's become of this series.

member 262271

Ended it up buying it on sale, buyers remorse still there. It's essentially NHL 17.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is the first year that I haven't at least rented an NHL game. This series used to be a sports innovator now it's behind every major league sports series. It's sad to see what's become of this series.

Elliott Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts article touches on ESports and how the NHL are taking a hard look at it. They see the money to be made and the money being made by other ESports games, but obviously their focus would be on hockey.

You have to wonder if the NHL goes full-bore into ESports hockey, will they coerce or even force EA Sports to release a better, and more innovative product. Or simply decide it's time to move on and do business with another game studio.

Reactions: Rebels57

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Elliott Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts article touches on ESports and how the NHL are taking a hard look at it. They see the money to be made and the money being made by other ESports games, but obviously their focus would be on hockey.

You have to wonder if the NHL goes full-bore into ESports hockey, will they coerce or even force EA Sports to release a better, and more innovative product. Or simply decide it's time to move on and do business with another game studio.
The most innovation in hockey games took place when 2k sports was doing hockey. Competition leads to innovation. EA has no competition in NHL games. I'm dying to play a hockey game on the next gen console that I own but none of them are worth buying. I'd kill for an MLB 2k-esk hockey game.

Reactions: Nickmo82

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Holy ice tilt, Batman!

Started my franchise season 3-0-0... but I just got through one of those EA specials where the game has decided that you flat out aren't going to win, no matter how well you might play. Out-shot my opponent 44-25 and lost 3-0. Their goals were hardly laser beams, but Jake Allen was stopping slam dunks all game long.

**** ice tilt with a rusty knife.

As if that doesn't happen in the NHL on a nightly basis.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
As if that doesn't happen in the NHL on a nightly basis.

I'd say it happens far less IRL than it does in game. At any rate, even if it does happen in the NHL, who enjoys it? Do you enjoy watching your favourite team utterly dominate, only to give up a bunch of soft goals and lose? I'm guessing.... no. Video games are supposed to be fun. Ice tilt isn't fun.

I've no desire to go 82-0-0 in a season. I'm happy to lose games throughout the season, but not via some bogus artificially generated scoresheet parity where my super elite on paper goaltender plays like a blind amputee and the other team's 75 rated so-so backup plays like the spirit of Dom Hasek has possessed him every other damn game.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'd say it happens far less IRL than it does in game. At any rate, even if it does happen in the NHL, who enjoys it? Do you enjoy watching your favourite team utterly dominate, only to give up a bunch of soft goals and lose? I'm guessing.... no. Video games are supposed to be fun. Ice tilt isn't fun.

I've no desire to go 82-0-0 in a season. I'm happy to lose games throughout the season, but not via some bogus artificially generated scoresheet parity where my super elite on paper goaltender plays like a blind amputee and the other team's 75 rated so-so backup plays like the spirit of Dom Hasek has possessed him every other damn game.

Sorry, you can't complain about your goalie allowing 3 goals on 25 shots, or not scoring on 44 shots. That's not a glitch, it's just bad luck.

There are countless examples of people outshooting the CPU like 35-4 and losing 3-2. They got 25 shots on you, that's a ton.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Maybe if something actually goes through with the anti-lootbox agenda and EA is no longer allowed to sell cards for 90% of their profits they will be forced to make a good game.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Maybe if something actually goes through with the anti-lootbox agenda and EA is no longer allowed to sell cards for 90% of their profits they will be forced to make a good game.

doubt it.

It's honestly aggravating that since they joined the "next gen" consoles in 2015, they've done jack all with the franchise

NHL 15/16/17/18 are all essentially the same game from last gen, just updated.

Be a GM has had minor Tweaks, Be a Pro regressed (how??) and their only focus seems to be EASHL and HUT.

They really just need a new DEV team to take it to another direction, rammer is a lazy POS.

Be a Pro/GM needs a massive overhaul.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

EA's Ultimate Team Card Packs don't really fall into the same anti-lootbox movement that has caught fire. At least, they shouldn't.

You make a really good point though:

If HUT / FUT weren't as incredibly successful as they currently are, I do wonder whether we would see a more concentraded effort to improve each iteration, especially in the NHL series.

As it is, they make SO MUCH money off of card packs, just chugging out the same stuff every year, that there's very little incentive or need to innovate beyond that key new yearly feature (THE JOURNEY! or NHL THREES! or THE LONGSHOT! etc)

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
EA's Ultimate Team Card Packs don't really fall into the same anti-lootbox movement that has caught fire. At least, they shouldn't.

You make a really good point though:

If HUT / FUT weren't as incredibly successful as they currently are, I do wonder whether we would see a more concentraded effort to improve each iteration, especially in the NHL series.

As it is, they make SO MUCH money off of card packs, just chugging out the same stuff every year, that there's very little incentive or need to innovate beyond that key new yearly feature (THE JOURNEY! or NHL THREES! or THE LONGSHOT! etc)

It pisses me off, and we as NHL fans are a minority versus other EA titans.

I wish the current dev team would get fired/scrapped.

I HATE RAMMER, I once tweeted him asking him about a glitch in the game that had been in for about 5 YEARS (the one where your gameplay settings will not save, also the be a pro simming penalty not working at all)

and the dude blocked me, didn't even bother to answer anything.

He's the goddamn worse thing to happen to this franchise since littman stepped down.

Once littman stepped down this game lost ALL direction(2014.. the last great NHL game and before the next gen garbage), it's absolutely mind boggling how no one has attempted to fix this.

I f***ing hate EA.

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
It stinks for those of us who hate HUT. I tried it the year it came out and it ended up being work hard for a team, then play against the exact same team over and over for cards that mean nothing. I went back to GM and haven’t touched it since.

Ice tilt for goodness sakes is still a thing no matter how much EA denies it too. Just lost 6-5 in OT where I was winning 5-2 with 60 seconds left. They tied it with 10 seconds left, in OT won the face off and beat my goalie clean from behind center FFS. How is that not tilt and decided that I was to lose.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It pisses me off, and we as NHL fans are a minority versus other EA titans.

I wish the current dev team would get fired/scrapped.

I HATE RAMMER, I once tweeted him asking him about a glitch in the game that had been in for about 5 YEARS (the one where your gameplay settings will not save, also the be a pro simming penalty not working at all)

and the dude blocked me, didn't even bother to answer anything.

He's the goddamn worse thing to happen to this franchise since littman stepped down.

Once littman stepped down this game lost ALL direction(2014.. the last great NHL game and before the next gen garbage), it's absolutely mind boggling how no one has attempted to fix this.

I ****ing hate EA.

While I don't hate EA nearly as much as you do, and am not as angry as you here, I do agree that Rammer is not very good for the brand or the product anymore.

The series really is in need of a major refresh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->