Canes will attempt to sign(again)Jack Johnson

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Geez stop jumping the gun so much. I'm in college right now, being a star athlete of Johnson's caliber at University of Michigan is treatment unlike any other. The way people interact with him at U of M is probably better treatment than he'll get with fans in the NHL. Money aside, which obviously is the big factor, so what if he wants to play another year in college? If he doesn't feel like he's ready to play in the NHL then so be it. Malkin could have come over here last season but didn't because he decided not to play in the NHL even though he could have. Johnson wants to take one more year at least and play there. All of you saying how he refuses to play in Carolina are being ridiculous. The only thing that would really cause him to sour on signing with them is the constant pressure and attention he's getting from the Canes to try and get him to sign with them. That could turn him off really quickly. He's going to make the money regardless barring some freak career ending injury. He'll have the money, if he wants the experience and feeling in college, he'll never have a chance at that again. And yeah........to the person who said "he can finish his education after he's comfortable with money at the end of his NHL career," that's ridiculous........as a 40 year old former NHL star defensman why would someone want to go back to college? It's not only the education but most likely the experience he's living. It's probably more of a dream to him to play for Michigan than it is to play for Carolina, although obvious the NHL will be his ultimate goal.

A Good Flying Bird*

I don't think Johnson is avoiding playing for Carolina. I think he simply wants to enjoy playing for a NCAA team he grew up wanting to play for.

*DISCLAIMER: HYPOTHETICAL!!!!*

That said...if he is simply avoiding Carolina, he's an *******. How dare someone refuse to play in the greatest hockey league in the world, making a TON of money, simply because he doesn't want to play in a city? There are thousands upon thousands of hockey players of all ages who would sell their soul to have a tenth of Johnson's talent and to play in the NHL for ANY TEAM.

Avoiding a team because "you don't want to play for them" is so ungrateful, childish, and petty unless there is a very good reason.

Yeah. How dare somebody try to use the leverage they have to try and work in a city they choose.
How childish.

Are you bloody serious?
Guess what. If my job want to a city I didn't want, I'd work for a new company.
If I had my heart set on working in a certain city and raising my family in a certain city, I'd do whatever I could to do make it happen.

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
What do you guys see as his offensice ceiling, once he's been in the NHL for a year or two. Are we talking about a stay-at-home player ala Scott Stevens......or someone with a fairly substantial offence upside, who hits like a truck as in Dion Phaneuf.

25 points in his 1st year?? 50?? more ??

Is he defensively sound enough to be a plus in the +/- category??

A Good Flying Bird*

What do you guys see as his offensice ceiling, once he's been in the NHL for a year or two. Are we talking about a stay-at-home player ala Scott Stevens......or someone with a fairly substantial offence upside, who hits like a truck as in Dion Phaneuf.

25 points in his 1st year?? 50?? more ??

Is he defensively sound enough to be a plus in the +/- category??

As a 19-year-old? Probably 30 points with good IT.
But his upside is very high.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
*DISCLAIMER: HYPOTHETICAL!!!!*

That said...if he is simply avoiding Carolina, he's an *******. How dare someone refuse to play in the greatest hockey league in the world, making a TON of money, simply because he doesn't want to play in a city? There are thousands upon thousands of hockey players of all ages who would sell their soul to have a tenth of Johnson's talent and to play in the NHL for ANY TEAM.

Avoiding a team because "you don't want to play for them" is so ungrateful, childish, and petty unless there is a very good reason.

I've got to disagree here. If he doesn't want to play for Carolina then he's going to have to pay a price. He'll have to risk a career ending injury at the college level and then he'll have to sign an entry level contract at the age of 22 when other top picks from his draft class are signing lucrative RFA contracts. If he's willing to pay that price then I have no problem with him signing with the team of his choice.

Most players are not going to be willing to pay this price (if they have the option not too.)

There seems to be an expectation that highly drafted collegiate players will sign a contract whenever the team that draft's them decides to offer them a contract. Personally, I applaud Johnson for doing this on his terms. Carolina drafted Jack, he didn't draft them. The only team that Jack made a commitment too was U of M. And while he's probably at U of M soley for the hockey, it's possible that he even wants to (gasp) graduate from a highly regarded academic institution (despite they're fan's inability to come up with they're own cheers ;).)

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
its already been noted, but ill say it anyway.

staal
ladd
cole
williams
ward
stillman for two more years

how is this an "up and down" team? last time they made the finals and lost it was a veteran team with few quality youngsters. this team is lead by youngsters. give them a chance before saying they are up and down. just say maybe he is biased towards michigan - it would make sense though i dont believe he's avoiding the canes.

Husky

Feb 3, 2006
Ottawa
I'm quoting you because I would pretty much just say the same thing including loving how he handles himself.

If by that you mean he elbows Canadians in the head out of pure frustration then you'd be right.

That was despicable and i won't forget it through the rest of that man's career. At 18 you should be in control of your emotions.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
its already been noted, but ill say it anyway.

staal
ladd
cole
williams
ward
stillman for two more years

how is this an "up and down" team? last time they made the finals and lost it was a veteran team with few quality youngsters. this team is lead by youngsters. give them a chance before saying they are up and down. just say maybe he is biased towards michigan - it would make sense though i dont believe he's avoiding the canes.

agreed but Stillman is not really a youngster...as the matter of fact he is an example of a up and down person :D

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
agreed but Stillman is not really a youngster...as the matter of fact he is an example of a up and down person :D

Stillman doesn't get enough credit for the two years that he has put together with Tampa and Carolina. He has been one of the elite playmaking forwards in the league in those two years, and nobody really says much about the guy. With the way he played in the playoffs this year, he has also shaken the reputation as being a player that can't show up when it matters. I honestly think he's the most underrated of all Carolina players, and how hard people bash on Erik Cole makes that a pretty heavy task.

156 points in 153 games in the past two NHL years, and one of those seasons was in the clutch and grab league. 26 points in 25 playoff games this year in the postseason as well with two series clinching goals.

espo*

One word can prove that is an unfounded statement based in fallacy:

COLLEGE.

J.J plays it rough,sometimes dirty.I like that in a d-man overall and recognize what he did last year as part of the game.

Having said that i do expect him,his team and fans to take it like a man if there is some pay-back delivered in this years tournament.He's fair game and if we can catch him with his head down and lay the guy out (even if it means leaving our feet) then i'm all for that. That's hockey,you can't always be in control of your emotions but if you do something out of bounds you've put your calling card out and are subject to the game being played the same way against you.

I just want to get that out of the way should some guy single him out and put the hurt on him this year,cheap-shot or not.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
J.J plays it rough,sometimes dirty.I like that in a d-man overall and recognize what he did last year as part of the game.

Having said that i do expect him,his team and fans to take it like a man if there is some pay-back delivered in this years tournament.He's fair game and if we can catch him with his head down and lay the guy out (even if it means leaving our feet) then i'm all for that. That's hockey,you can't always be in control of your emotions but if you do something out of bounds you've put your calling card out and are subject to the game being played the same way against you.

I just want to get that out of the way should some guy single him out and put the hurt on him this year,cheap-shot or not.

Do you honestly think someone is going to go after Johnson for what happened in last year's WJC? I'd be pretty surprised if that's the case.

espo*

Do you honestly think someone is going to go after Johnson for what happened in last year's WJC? I'd be pretty surprised if that's the case.

I' don't know ,we'll have to wait and see.I don't think anyone would go out of their way to get him since a U.S -Canada game at this years tournament is going to be a real close affair.But if the chance is there to put some real pain in him,i would'nt be surprised someone takes it.There will be a good amount of returnees on the team and you know how hockey is.

We'll see.it would'nt be the first time that's happened though.

I'm just hoping i don't have to sit through a lot of complaining if it does.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i was under the impression downie got what he had been asking for, as he is not known for being a gentle player himself. not that what jj did is right, but it happens in hockey. im sure he'll get paid back for it, im sure he looks forward to the attempts. he wont back down when it happens, and i dont think this has bearing on anything. it'll make for some fun games to watch when it happens. part of jj's job is to get the other team more into him than the game.

espo*

i was under the impression downie got what he had been asking for, as he is not known for being a gentle player himself. not that what jj did is right, but it happens in hockey. im sure he'll get paid back for it, im sure he looks forward to the attempts. he wont back down when it happens, and i dont think this has bearing on anything. it'll make for some fun games to watch when it happens. part of jj's job is to get the other team more into him than the game.

Agree with pretty much everything you've said here.

1.Downie's an agitating little s.o.b,

2.Johnson took a cheap head shot

3. Johnson surely knows someone may come after him because of it and hopefully accepts the consequences of his actions (much like Downie did for his)

4. it will be fun to watch

5.All of this is hockey

Hopefully all the fans will recognize this when/if someone oh, say, get's their shoulder into Johnsons mellon and he get's concussed or something. The last thing we're going to need is to hear someone complaining that some player cheapied J.J when the guy shows he has no problem doing that himself.

Let's just accept the realities and enjoy the show this december!!!

Transported Upstater

Yeah. How dare somebody try to use the leverage they have to try and work in a city they choose.
How childish.

Are you bloody serious?
Guess what. If my job want to a city I didn't want, I'd work for a new company.
If I had my heart set on working in a certain city and raising my family in a certain city, I'd do whatever I could to do make it happen.

Guess what? That's your perogative, and that's fine.

To each his own, but if my job paid me as much as these guys get paid, I wouldn't really care where I played.

There are definitely cities in the NHL I would prefer not to play in, and some I would love to play in. But for the amount these guys make...I'd get over it. You can't necessarily have everything you want in life.

I guess I'm a person who likes to roll with the punches and treat each situation as it comes up. I don't believe there is anything predetermined for me, and that I make my own path. I don't have dreams. I don't have my heart set on anything. I stopped dreaming about my future my first year of college, where all my previous dreams were shattered, stomped on and set afire.

As Linda Hamilton said in Terminator II "There is no fate except what we make for ourselves." You can believe it, or not believe it. But that is one of my core beliefs.

I'd be so thankful that I made it to the NHL in the first place that I wouldn't really care as much where I played. I believe there are big positives to playing in each and every NHL market, you just have to find them and embrace them.

Also, I'm the type of person who would play until I'm early 30's, then retire very early, and then get married and have 1 or 2 children after my playing career is over.
I don't want to move my family around every time I get traded.
I don't want to spend weeks at a time around co-workers, flying from random city to random city to get the ever loving **** beaten out of me for 20 minutes a game, and to have no one to come home to and share my thoughts/experiences with during that time.
I don't want to be away from them for that long...I can't be the type of father/husband I want to be from a distance. I love kids and am very good with them. I couldn't stand being away from a wfie and family like that. Not my idea of utopia.

Maybe if I didn't become conditioned to avoid dreams, I'd think differently. But I don't. You can think whatever you want, there's no right answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->