Confirmed with Link: Canes trade Lowe for Ulf's kid

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
yeah, lowe has managed to progress from a below average third-pairing defenseman in the ahl to an average one. i'd be shocked if he ever touched nhl ice again. he's been on the checkers for almost four years and got a couple nhl games at the end of a lost season. then again brett bellemore managed to play over 100 NHL games, so maybe lowe can hope to catch on with us again in a couple years to fill our yearly career AHLer on the NHL roster quota.

what could this possibly a precursor to? we now have a different depth defenseman in the ahl, so....?

Like I said maybe it's nothing, but teams don't do other teams favors for nothing. There was literally no reason to do this trade.

So my conspiracy theory-ridden mind looks at this as us giving the Habs slightly more value so that we can accept slightly less value in another deal....like Rask for Galchenyuk :sarcasm:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Like I said maybe it's nothing, but teams don't do other teams favors for nothing. There was literally no reason to do this trade.

So my conspiracy theory-ridden mind looks at this as us giving the Habs slightly more value so that we can accept slightly less value in another deal....like Rask for Galchenyuk :sarcasm:

Ah, nepotism. Not a good reason, but a reason.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014

Bergevin Svengali'd Ribby

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Ah, nepotism. Not a good reason, but a reason.

GMRF and Ulfie building a world-class blueline

Slap-Shot-Hanson-Brothers.jpg

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com

Who did anyone a "favor"? It's a swap of fringe prospects. I seriously doubt either player could have garnered a 7th round pick in 2090 if they were shopped around. The fact that Lowe is a couple years younger is balanced out by the fact that Samuelsson had been much better in the past--he had 31 points in 56 AHL games last year, which is better production than Lowe's best *junior* season. There's a possibility that Hamilton was a bad fit for Samuelsson and that he'll be able to turn around it around and be a legit top 4 guy in Charlotte playing for his dad. And if not, he likely won't be any worse than Lowe.

And the further "reason" to do the trade is pretty obvious, which is that it's Ulf's son and the Hurricanes love nepotism.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Who did anyone a "favor"? It's a swap of fringe prospects. I seriously doubt either player could have garnered a 7th round pick in 2090 if they were shopped around. The fact that Lowe is a couple years younger is balanced out by the fact that Samuelsson had been much better in the past--he had 31 points in 56 AHL games last year, which is better production than Lowe's best *junior* season. There's a possibility that Hamilton was a bad fit for Samuelsson and that he'll be able to turn around it around and be a legit top 4 guy in Charlotte playing for his dad. And if not, he likely won't be any worse than Lowe.

And the further "reason" to do the trade is pretty obvious, which is that it's Ulf's son and the Hurricanes love nepotism.

The nepotism thing is what it is. And maybe that's all it is. But Lowe was having a pretty good year hence my feeling there has to be more. Maybe Samuelsson is the better player, but I doubt it. Lowe's never had offense in his arsenal. He's always been a stay at home guy. Who knows....just doesn't feel right to me, but that's just one man's opinion.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
The nepotism thing is what it is. And maybe that's all it is. But Lowe was having a pretty good year hence my feeling there has to be more. Maybe Samuelsson is the better player, but I doubt it. Lowe's never had offense in his arsenal. He's always been a stay at home guy. Who knows....just doesn't feel right to me, but that's just one man's opinion.
Yeah, Lowe has never had any offensive abilities. That makes him worse than he would be if he had offensive skills. Calling him a "stay at home guy" is just an admission that he doesn't have skills and trying to morph it was something good. Samuelsson has at least shown that in the past that he can produce decent numbers at the AHL level, though not this year.

Again, how was Lowe having a "pretty good year"? He was on the third pairing most of the time is in his 4th AHL season. I guess you could say that he was a pretty good third pairing defenseman, but that's it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, Lowe has never had any offensive abilities. That makes him worse than he would be if he had offensive skills. Calling him a "stay at home guy" is just an admission that he doesn't have skills and trying to morph it was something good. Samuelsson has at least shown that in the past that he can produce decent numbers at the AHL level, though not this year.

Again, how was Lowe having a "pretty good year"? He was on the third pairing most of the time is in his 4th AHL season. I guess you could say that he was a pretty good third pairing defenseman, but that's it.

This season Lowe has played on all three lines. But this stupid to argue over.

You think there's nothing to this nothing trade and I think there might be a tiny something to this nothing trade.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

And nepotism loves Canes back, or then they're just have a very specific scouting approach towards organizational fit that allowed them to unearth and steal the hidden gem that is young Aho.

Though if I start thinking about young Kapanen just last night, and young Lehkonen doing ok as rookie in Montreal, the organizational eugenics as a tool for prospect development seems to be pretty much a legit thing.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Ulf Junior has looked great in the last two games I watched. Paired with Chris Chelios Junior. They were the best pairing out there for long stretches of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->