Confirmed with Link: Canes trade Lowe for Ulf's kid

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Not that Lowe moves the needle for me in any way, but still seems really stupid. Yay nepotism.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Now Ulf is gonna play favoritism and give Phillip first pairing minutes over Fleury, Carrick, and McKeown woo

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Why is it "really stupid"? Lowe is a career AHLer who cleared waivers already. He had no value. The same thing can be said for Samuelsson. It's a nothing trade.

Agree it's something of a nothing trade, but I'd argue that Lowe is the better player....and he's a couple of years younger.

This makes me think that there's another deal coming. Otherwise it feels pretty pointless.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Just because it's a nothing trade, which I agreed on when I said Lowe was nothing to me, doesn't mean it can't be stupid. I think it's stupid to make a nothing trade seemingly for no other reason than to get the coach's kid. Maybe they really, truly have a better reason than that, but I doubt it.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Definitely shoring up the Checkers defense for their big playoff push...they only have to win approximately 18 of their last 25 games to have a shot (estimate based on the .536 win % of the team currently holding the last playoff spot) :help:

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I'd agree its potentially annoying Canes nepotism again....holding out hope that after 237 games for checkers Lowe asked for a change of scenery if it became available. If thats the case, good on RF for serving the kid as a good GM after he has been a worker in the organization for quite a while.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'd agree its potentially annoying Canes nepotism again....holding out hope that after 237 games for checkers Lowe asked for a change of scenery if it became available. If thats the case, good on RF for serving the kid as a good GM after he has been a worker in the organization for quite a while.

One might argue that Lowe is having his best year too. Likely he wasn't going to be offered contract next season so this was maybe his shot at getting a fresh start.

That said, this just feels like one of those pre-cursor deals, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
MTL get better depth for playoff, Cans save couple of bucks. (Lowe on 1-way deal, Samuelsson 2-way)

Edit: I was wrong.

Last edited:

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
One might argue that Lowe is having his best year too. Likely he wasn't going to be offered contract next season so this was maybe his shot at getting a fresh start.

That said, this just feels like one of those pre-cursor deals, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
yeah, lowe has managed to progress from a below average third-pairing defenseman in the ahl to an average one. i'd be shocked if he ever touched nhl ice again. he's been on the checkers for almost four years and got a couple nhl games at the end of a lost season. then again brett bellemore managed to play over 100 NHL games, so maybe lowe can hope to catch on with us again in a couple years to fill our yearly career AHLer on the NHL roster quota.

what could this possibly a precursor to? we now have a different depth defenseman in the ahl, so....?

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
lowe's not on a one-way. he's actually less expensive at the AHL level

and if lowe is playing in a playoff game at the nhl level then the canadiens are probably in trouble.

Oups my bad misread (in fact its the opposite Lowe cheaper in the AHL), what do you think is the reasoning behind the trade? How is Lowe game?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Oups my bad misread (in fact its the opposite Lowe cheaper in the AHL), what do you think is the reasoning behind the trade? How is Lowe game?

Fairly meh. Defensive dman with some toughness but not a particularly good one. His only notable experience in the NHL level is beating the crap out of Lecavalier and getting jumped by him later in that game when Vinny lost his mind.

Has always been fairly low on the depth chart here. The one season he got NHL time here I think every dman in the system aside from Beau Schmitz and Austin Levi that was on a non-PTO contract got playing time up here in some form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad