Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Swiss Defenseman Michael Fora

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Maybe a Charlotte captain once Brown goes?
Possible as Brown was only brought back on a one-year deal. Fora's still young enough that they may see a good bit of NHL potential in him especially after a breakout season.

At worst this really helps balance things for us since we're so LHD heavy:

Slavin - Pesce
Hanifin - Faulk
Fleury - TVR
Bean - McKeown
Carrick - Fora
Samuelsson - Martin

Will be interested to see if we sign De Jong next season, a bit surprised that we didn't sign Jenkins but

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'm glad the Canes are starting to reach out to other European leagues with their scouting recently. It opens up a lot more possibilities for us.

I'm glad that we're opening up training camp to be a true competition. And I'm glad we're adding quality depth instead of warm bodies. No NHL player should ever feel comfortable with his role and roster spot. I imagine a lot of folks are looking at these signings and getting a little antsy. I think that's a good thing.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Great pickup for you guys. Terrific young stay at home defenseman. Unfortunately, we don't have too many of those in Switzerland. He's gonna be a good one and unlike other Swiss players with more talent he has the work ethic it takes to be a regular in the NHL. Fora isn't gonna wow anybody offensively but he's easily good enough to play some solid minutes as 3rd-6th defender down the stretch. He's also a righty so there's another plus.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Great pickup for you guys. Terrific young stay at home defenseman. Unfortunately, we don't have too many of those in Switzerland. He's gonna be a good one and unlike other Swiss players with more talent he has the work ethic it takes to be a regular in the NHL. Fora isn't gonna wow anybody offensively but he's easily good enough to play some solid minutes as 3rd-6th defender down the stretch. He's also a righty so there's another plus.
Thanks for the input. Nice to hear from fans who know him. We heard he has a good personality and positive attitude, too. That's always welcome, can't wait to see how he fits.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks for the input. Nice to hear from fans who know him. We heard he has a good personality and positive attitude, too. That's always welcome, can't wait to see how he fits.

To be honest, despite being Swiss, I usually don't have time to watch a lot of Swiss hockey (level is fair but I prefer NHL) so others might know him better than me. I like him as a player though and he's come along nicely. He was also one of the pleasant surprises at the world championships which is probably why the Canes wanted him.
The fact that Fora accepted a two way contract tells you everything you need to know about him. Not many Swiss players would be prepared to do that. NLA is much more convenient than AHL which is why there still aren't too many Swiss in the NHL...it's not because of a lack of talent in our country, that's for sure. Fora played in NA before and the smaller ice fits his game. I'm positive that he has what it takes to play at least 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL. He might need some time to adjust his game though.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
He can’t possibly have expected to be on the big team this year.

Change "Canes" to "Checkers" in Anton Dubinchuk's post and I think it becomes clear. He wasn't playing regularly for the Checkers before Fleury was sent down. That's only less likely now.

This isn't leaving regular minutes in Charlotte to go back to Europe. This is leaving the Bojangles press box to go back to Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad