Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Saarela to ELC

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Agree. PDG being on the roster won't surprise me in the least.

An interesting one will be Derek Ryan. Of all the players that were called up late last year, to me, he looked by far to be the best of them, and at his age, he should have been. He's not a "typical" 4th liner, but he's a true center and more developed than others.

I see it as more than just contracts. I think that unless a talent is so fantastic, that there isn't a decision to be made or the team has no choice, Francis wants to live by the "draft and develop" mantra. I don't think Nicholas Roy, Goat, or Walmark are going to make this team better next year than guys like Nestrasil, Nordstrom, PDG, Mcginn, etc.. so let them spend time maturing and developing, just as PDG, Slavin, Pesce, etc. have and just as Fleury, McKeown, McGinn, Carrick, etc.. are.

PDG is in both a great position and an unlucky one. Of all the guys he'll be competing with, he's the only one waiver exempt (of the NHL guys).

I don't know how Ryan would fare on the PK long term. That may be a moot point if Lindy proves capable as a centerman. Frankly he looked pretty good on the PK last year so I wouldn't be surprised if he and Jordan are our primary PK centermen.

I don't disagree at all about the need for additional development, but many a player can make a significant leap with a good offseason (both physical training-wise and mental development). While I don't think Roy is in the mix much, I think Gauthier and Wallmark could have people stand up and take notice. Saarela to a lesser extent. It just feels that contract status gets overlooked from time to time, especially "when all things are equal".

I personally don't think we see any of The Gaut, Saarela, or Roy this year.

The competition for whatever remaining roster spots will be are PDG, Mcginn, Wallmark, Ryan, Brown, & Tolchinsky.

I just don't believe Tolchinsky is in the mix nor do I think McGinn is either. Both will benefit from being studs in the AHL for at least part of another year. I've touched on Ryan and Wallmark. Brown is an interesting option as he's got some skills and some speed. He'd be an interesting guy to have on the 4th line, especially as a right-hander. That's some flexibility to add if he can learn to win a faceoff.

Except from day 1, for the better part of the early season, he was given the most sheltered minutes of any defenseman, was not out there during crunch time, was often very ineffective, and even earned a healthy scratch early on in the season. Nobody can convince me, that another season in the NCAA wouldn't have still helped his development.

There's no doubt he was rushed and he showed it early in the season. But, in my opinion, it was the exact right thing to do. It not only protected the org from a Vesey-like situation, Hanifin is a very cerebral guy and he clearly learned "on the job". Noah Hanifin in March was much better than Noah Hanifin in November.

But I agree, it we had the luxury and knowledge to have allowed at least 1 more year of NCAA time, he'd be that much better of a player.

Having said that, on the main board, in the Trouba for Hanifin thread, one guy from Boston said that young Noah was up to about 220 and still skating like the wind. A stronger Noah Hanifin makes me :):handclap::yo: .

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Having said that, on the main board, in the Trouba for Hanifin thread, one guy from Boston said that young Noah was up to about 220 and still skating like the wind. A stronger Noah Hanifin makes me :):handclap::yo: .

Most of that guys posts are about Hanifin and I think he's obsessed with him :laugh: so not sure we are getting an unbiased report. Of course, he's also the same guy that said an offer sheet from Boston was coming (Mods deleted it).

That said, I listened to an interview with Hanifin a while back and that was the #1 thing he said, he was focused on adding strength in the off season so it makes sense.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Most of that guys posts are about Hanifin and I think he's obsessed with him :laugh: so not sure we are getting an unbiased report. Of course, he's also the same guy that said an offer sheet from Boston was coming (Mods deleted it).

That said, I listened to an interview with Hanifin a while back and that was the #1 thing he said, he was focused on adding strength in the off season so it makes sense.

Yeah, there was a story that I followed a while back that talked about how he was training super hard.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Prolly his paps

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Yeah, he seemed a bit irritated too.

-I just had some back luck. I would totally have been ready to fight for a spot. I'm annoyed, but can't help it.

-I don't really know what's gonna happen. Nothing is 100% certain. But how can I get a spot in an NHL team if I can't participate in its training camp?

The article also mentions that the Urheilusanomat (Finnish sports magazine) Liiga guide has estimated that Saarela will grow to be one of the best players in FEL if he plays in Finland next season.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So, is he currently hurt or is this some previous injury and some paperwork issue around it's treatment is preventing him from coming over?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Ughhhhhh dang it, dang it, dang it! Was so looking forward to seeing him in training camp.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
So, is he currently hurt or is this some previous injury and some paperwork issue around it's treatment is preventing him from coming over?

I just read another article and got a more clear picture about it. He's healing from a minor surgery he had very recently and the doctors won't allow him to play.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm actually a little relieved that he's not going to force his way onto the team this year. I think the best thing for his development is to go back to Finland and just dominate. Plus, getting to see him in the WJC is going to be immense. We already have enough young forwards trying to break in and find out who they are.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I'm actually a little relieved that he's not going to force his way onto the team this year. I think the best thing for his development is to go back to Finland and just dominate. Plus, getting to see him in the WJC is going to be immense. We already have enough young forwards trying to break in and find out who they are.

I'm a believer the more competition the better. Also getting to work with your potential future coaches at training camp is huge, the coaches will tell you what you need to work on. I wasn't expecting him to make the team, but going to camp as a prospect is a significant step in your development as a hockey player. This is unfortunate.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Impressive that Torres was already able to take a guy out from across the ocean. Shows some real gritnitiative. One down, more to go.

Kaljis

Jul 3, 2013
He will hear on Wednesday does he get permission to play.
And in any case he might come to visit on the camp.
:)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Is any chances to put this and Saarela's ELC signing thread together.
There's no sense to keep up 2 different threads of the same player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad