Pre-Game Talk: Canes@Leafs, Tuesday Dec.19th, 2 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
even if that were the case, it doesn't explain why Kapanen/Leivo don't get more games. They're young players who might have a future on this team, isn't it important for them to get their games shaped by Babcock? Carrick is our 2nd youngest defenseman and he can't even crack the lineup no matter how many poor games Polak has. I think what we're seeing here is Babcock is genuinely thinks that the way he creates the lineup and allocates ice time is what gives us the best chance to win every night rather than any kind of developmental thing. To me that's an issue.

That all said, I have faith in the talent of this team and in the upper management/scouting and Babcock for the most part. Our team will be defined by the time Matthews' career is at an end, not through this stretch of games in November/December while he's not even healthy

I would bet my last dollar that Kapanen isn't getting more games due to contract manipulation/waiver wire eligibility. Leivo got what? a contract extension, so it's kinda meh. the other aspects of it - I firmly believe it's the Leafs trying to straddle the line and they have a foot in development - and a foot in trying to eek out victories , as I said before sort of the trying to be half pregnant. (re: Carrick. i'll argue that Babcock doesn't like him and his spot is gonna go to one of the youngsters in the Marlies) and because this league goes gaga over right handed defensemen, people won't really care he's not playing. (but I'll own my whole "I don't really care" card when they are in the press box, or players like Carrick, because i don't think they are long for this team regardless, i know milage varies on that).

I've also been arguing people can't have it both ways here - among everything it seems like.

You guys can't go "we want these people off the team" regarding Komarov, Polak etc - but then get angry that they are put in situations to drive up their value from nothing (according to some fans) to at least a pick or two.

We can't scream we want to have a safe atmosphere here, and then get mad that Babcock isn't ripping the team a new one or saying "hey they are playing like crap. (especially with their star player out) and quite frankly that goes towards Babcock as well. though I honestly find it hilarious that people want the media to call him out and demand things - which A: he doesn't have to answer, B: he'll more than likely not answer, and then C: i'd really like to know where the media has demanded the Coach explains himself and then the Coach actually answers in a satisfactory way that doesn't put his job in jeopardy or throw the players under the bus (w/babcock it wouldn't be so much due to the contract, but I mean, still. come on).

We can't demand that the players we want on the team long term be held accountable, and earn their way through the line up, then get mad, that they play limited time on the 4th line or limited minutes and not be consistent enough (not just points, but overall general play). to move their way up through the line up. and - yes, imo, it is different between a younger player and a veteran. I also think comparing how Young Player plays vs. Vet player isn't helpful. the young player doesn't need to play as better than the vet. the Young player needs to be the best that they can be. I do believe there is a difference. (again YMMV).

We can't claim to be patient - then get mad that the team is in an obvious slump and learning how to play a different style of play (which - again I will firmly bet isn't the end result of how Babcock wants the team to play) and want things changed because it's boring.

I don't want to be like that person like tralallaa Babcock is doing everything right, (because I don't). nor do I want to be all like well you we should just accept it (or we're "passionate" if we see the problem we should debate about it) but it would be nice you know to actually see this thing play out as well. like if this is the final team plan, then i can see the problems that people have and the frustration, and i would join you too because I don't think it's a relatively good one. But then I'd also assume at that point more trades and moves have been done to truly form the team to what we want the Leafs to ultimately look like doing. Not - still trying to mould a huge chunk of this team that hasn't played 300 games in the league, battling some form of sophomore slump/league adjustment slump to them among other things.

i think you are partially right. I do think right now Babcock things this is the best way to win every night, but i want to add right now for what he's trying to accomplish. I think with this team right now it's not going to be firmly A or firmly B, but they're trying to do a hybrid of sorts. I promise you. if this is the permanent way I'll stop defending this, and be mad right along with you.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
cands are a n elite possesion team and are getting hot.

in our current state we better hope we win the goalie battle.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Matthews was on the ice for about 20 minutes before practice. Left the ice. Will not practice with the team as per Shilton.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Yeah that's real good on our rear ends. We getting our kahuna back. Zaitsev on IR is a worry though, Marinchin up. Polak's role on the pole will be trump huge y'all heard me.

We might win or lose, but it don't matter none, cause we gon give up a hell of an effort tuesday y'all can bank that thang up.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
We need Matthews to play and score, because he has scored in every jersey he's played in so far. Blue, white, Centennial Classic, St. Pats. He can't miss this Arenas jersey! And hope he scores in his outdoor jersey vs. Washington. By the way, any idea how that jersey will look? I believe they are using the current logo for it.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah that's real good on our rear ends. We getting our kahuna back. Zaitsev on IR is a worry though, Marinchin up. Polak's role on the pole will be trump huge y'all heard me.

We might win or lose, but it don't matter none, cause we gon give up a hell of an effort tuesday y'all can bank that thang up.

Zaitsev is on IR? when did this happen? damn it!!! Another PKer gone and a stable D-man. In comes Marincin?

this is gonna be fun........ Though unlike most I like Marincin and have some hope for him; not a good time for him to draw in when the team is playing like crap.

Damn it!!!

Panic mode ----->>>> Initiated!

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
1st line no chemistry at all
2nd line - defensive tire fire
3rd line - interesting
4th line - it's somehow crucial Martin plays and Leivo sits

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Reactions: S2S

member 262271

I'll be at work - but I'm sure I'll be on here anyways :laugh:

Hopefully we see a different style of play than the one employed recently.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
cands are a n elite possesion team and are getting hot.

in our current state we better hope we win the goalie battle.
So you want us to get outplayed but hope Anderson bails us out? I'd rather have the Leafs lose when they get outplayed and win when they outplay teams.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Canes are playing some good hockey, so we need to be sharp. There are no easy games in this league

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Lines at practice today as per Kristen Shilton:

Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Marleau - Nylander - Hyman
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Martin - Moore - Kapanen
Leivo

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Carrick
Borgman - Polak
Marincin

Trying out Hyman on the right side today for maybe the first time in his career? Decent lineup though, I would switch Kappy and Hyman.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I like those forward lines. Brown always seemed to fit the best next to Kadri, Hyman on his strong side, Nylander at that center with Marleau next to him. Looks good.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kristen Shilton @kristen_shilton
16m
#Leafs lines at practice:
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Nylander-Hyman
van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Kapanen
Leivo

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Carrick
Borgman-Polak
Marincin

So brown and marleau flip lines.

this puts hyman on his natural right side for the first time. and gives us all lefties on LW and all righties on RW for the first time too.

It also puts the two current center candidates - Marleau and Nylander - on the same line, which is something I thought would make sense because you can just flip them in and out at the C spot as needed/wanted.

now just potentially picture Matthews returning in between Marleay and Nylander, with Hyman replacing Komo on the Kadri line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad