Proposal: Canes - Jets - Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Would the fan bases of these three teams think this trade was too far off base?

Canes: Nylander

Jets: Hanifin

Leafs: Trouba

The reason the Canes might do it is obvious; they need top six forward help and a guy that can play a scoring center in the top six is a big plus. The reason the Leafs might do it is also obvious; they want more help on defense, preferable a RHD that is balanced between being a good defender and can score. I think the Jets might also be interested as Trouba probably would cost more on this contract than Hanifin, and if I remember correctly from when Trouba was holding out a couple of years ago, swapping a RHD for a LHD would help balance their back end a bit better. All three still have contract control years as RFAs, all three need contracts this year, and all three are still pretty young.

Do any teams need to add a pick?

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
There had better be some heavy additions from the Leafs. Trouba is a clear cut #1D and is not going to come this cheap.

Canes fans, chill. Hanifin is good, maybe even great, but LHD is no longer a need. If Trouba was traded, RHD would become the most pressing need.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I would need some assurances of Trouba's commitment before I entertained trading Nylander for him.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Would the fan bases of these three teams think this trade was too far off base?

Jets: Hanifin

The reason the Canes might do it is obvious; they need top six forward help and a guy that can play a scoring center in the top six is a big plus. The reason the Leafs might do it is also obvious; they want more help on defense, preferable a RHD that is balanced between being a good defender and can score. I think the Jets might also be interested as Trouba probably would cost more on this contract than Hanifin, and if I remember correctly from when Trouba was holding out a couple of years ago, swapping a RHD for a LHD would help balance their back end a bit better. All three still have contract control years as RFAs, all three need contracts this year, and all three are still pretty young.

Do any teams need to add a pick?
Suprisingly good proposal, and actually seems to fit each teams needs well. Good job.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
There had better be some heavy additions from the Leafs. Trouba is a clear cut #1D and is not going to come this cheap.

Canes fans, chill. Hanifin is good, maybe even great, but LHD is no longer a need. If Trouba was traded, RHD would become the most pressing need.
Nylander is a clear cut top line forward so...

Also how would RHD become the biggest need? Big Buff and Myers aren’t capable of playing top 4 RHD?

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
If Trouba doesn’t want to re-sign in the Peg then I certainly could see this working. A few tweaks would need to be added here and there. RHD is harder to find so a small plus for Trouba (2 round pick + b/c prospect) and smaller add for Hanifin (3rd rd pick?)

For Trouba. (Hanifin + TO/2nd + CAR/3rd or Nic Roy? Big bodied centre who would fit Winnipeg’s system and style)

For Hanifin. (Nylander + Peg 3rd?)

Nylander straight up?

Too much?? The second and 3rd could drop to 3/4 th round if need be.

A Reilly/Trouba pairing would be great and spread the minutes around which is what TO has trouble with followed my Gardiner/Zaitzev as the second pairing
Morrissey/Buff, Hanifin/Myers would be a great defensive core for the next few years of cup contention.
Nylander would bring some much needed forward strength to the Canes

Reactions: MinJaBen

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Nylander is a clear cut top line forward so...

Also how would RHD become the biggest need? Big Buff and Myers aren’t capable of playing top 4 RHD?
60-point winger with questionable defensive side of his game is nowhere near Trouba's value (or Hanifin's, for that matter).

As for Buff and Myers, one of them might end up being a cap casualty very soon.

Reactions: Snowman

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

How is LHD not a need? All you guys have is Morrissey.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Hypothetically could work. I just don't see two playoff teams trading core pieces in order to balance out what is for the Leafs a fairly decent defenciency, Jets not so big of a deficiency. I think WPG probably wants to stick with the definite though.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If Trouba doesn’t want to re-sign in the Peg then I certainly could see this working. A few tweaks would need to be added here and there. RHD is harder to find so a small plus for Trouba (2 round pick + b/c prospect) and smaller add for Hanifin (3rd rd pick?)

For Trouba. (Hanifin + TO/2nd + CAR/3rd or Nic Roy? Big bodied centre who would fit Winnipeg’s system and style)

For Hanifin. (Nylander + Peg 3rd?)

Nylander straight up?

Too much?? The second and 3rd could drop to 3/4 th round if need be.

A Reilly/Trouba pairing would be great and spread the minutes around which is what TO has trouble with followed my Gardiner/Zaitzev as the second pairing
Morrissey/Buff, Hanifin/Myers would be a great defensive core for the next few years of cup contention.
Nylander would bring some much needed forward strength to the Canes

I don't think any of this is unreasonable.
It's not a big difference but I'd argue that the value goes as follows, though;

Trouba>Nylander>/=Hanafin

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
60-point winger with questionable defensive side of his game is nowhere near Trouba's value (or Hanifin's, for that matter).

If you think Hanafin is some defensive stalwart, you clearly haven't watched many Canes games.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017

Hence why I am constantly saying Faulk for Nylander.

Jan 21, 2018

Jets: Hanifin + 1st TOR' 18 + Fleury (or something else from the canes)

Jets use Leafs 1st + Fleury in a package with some of their good prospects to acquire a top 4 RHD.

Obviously they are better off just keeping Trouba but if for some reason they had to trade him is that fair value?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
How is LHD not a need? All you guys have is Morrissey.
And Kulikov... and Niku... and enough depth options for the foreseeable future.

Let's put it this way: all things considered, I am more comfortable having a LHD depth of Morrissey-Kulikov-Niku+depth than having a RHD depth of Buff-Myers-Poolman+no depth whatsoever. Yes, our RHD pipeline f***ing sucks. Make that in all caps, if you like.

If you think Hanafin is some defensive stalwart, you clearly haven't watched many Canes games.
D>>>W, though.

And anyway, Trouba is the superior player here, so we need additions coming to Winnipeg.

Hence why I am constantly saying Faulk for Nylander.
Potentially. I am glad to keep Trouba and stay out of that convo.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017

Jets use Leafs 1st + Fleury in a package with some of their good prospects to acquire a top 4 RHD.

Obviously they are better off just keeping Trouba but if for some reason they had to trade him is that fair value?

No the Canes are overpaying.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

no to trading a 1st AND nylander for trouba

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
And Kulikov... and Niku... and enough depth options for the foreseeable future.

Let's put it this way: all things considered, I am more comfortable having a LHD depth of Morrissey-Kulikov-Niku+depth than having a RHD depth of Buff-Myers-Poolman+no depth whatsoever. Yes, our RHD pipeline ****ing sucks. Make that in all caps, if you like.

D>>>W, though.

And anyway, Trouba is the superior player here, so we need additions coming to Winnipeg.

Potentially. I am glad to keep Trouba and stay out of that convo.

I agree with the bolded but I don't think Leafs brass see him as a winger.
So today, yes but when/if he plays his first season as a C, those '>' disappear and Nylander's superior talent (currently) will flip the script back to my valuation of Nylander>Hanafin.
You're right about Trouba being the more valuable of the three and Winnipeg should get more as a result.

Jan 21, 2018
no to trading a 1st AND nylander for trouba

A late 1st is too much? Even if it's an overpayment, you're getting a young RHD with top pairing potential.

Nylander is great and has formed good chemistry with Matthews but eventually Matthews will be good enough to plug two "Hyman"'s with and carry them, just like other elite C can do.

Jan 21, 2018
No the Canes are overpaying.

No they aren't. Nylander is worth more than Hanifin (as of now), and Fleury's value is decreasing every year.

I can understand if you feel Hanifin has potential to be worth more than Nylander but when you are getting a better asset at the cost of Fleury it's not an overpayment.

The canes are better off keeping Hanifin and hoping he develops into a top pairing D, I can agree with that.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
A late 1st is too much? Even if it's an overpayment, you're getting a young RHD with top pairing potential.

Nylander is great and has formed good chemistry with Matthews but eventually Matthews will be good enough to plug two "Hyman"'s with and carry them, just like other elite C can do.
a 1st AND nylander will turn out to be better than trouba in as little as like 5 years. also the leafs will need as much entry level players that can contribute when the big 3 get paid

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Trouba is good but he's not Nylander + Leafs 1st good lol.

Nylander had shitty luck on the PP this year, he's still one of the best ES producers in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->