GDT: Canes gonna bust da Caps in da ass

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'll have to watch the pay again. Not saying the D doesn't have some culpability here, but the key is for the forwards to not let a guy get a head of steam and easily into the zone like that in the first place. That's probably the hardest thing for a defenseman to defend is when he's dropping back in his zone with little momentum to stop a guy (especially one without the puck) from getting an advantage when he's coming in with more speed. You are kind of stuck in no mans land a bit given the positioning and momentum. Pesce kind of slacked off after the shot but even if Pesce turned right away, he probably wasn't going to beat Orlov to the puck because Orlov had all the momentum (and hitting him would have been clear interference).

Our defensemen play much better when they can engage in the neutral zone and skate with the player using their speed, sticks and body to separate the guy from the puck. Forwards have to stop Orlov in that situation and not even let him get to through the first level so easily.

Agreed on everything. Wasn't trying to imply it was the D's fault, although they've definitely taken a more conservative approach at the blueline in terms of their gaps; might just be recency bias and only apply to situations like this.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
the key is for the forwards to not let a guy get a head of steam and easily into the zone like that in the first place.
Pretty sure Orlov was pushing up-ice because CAR was on a line change.

This was the goal that I thought was 100% on Ward. The puck wizzed by him well wide and, for all the time he had to react, he was nowhere near covering the near post. Like you said, both defensemen need to prevent Orlov from waltzing into the zone with possession, and when he dumped, Ward didn't do shit to help anything. Frankly, I was flabberfasted that he didn't stand up, pivot 180, and stick-handle the little black thing out of harm's way. But we all know that Ward is a terrible puck-handler, so what can I expect. ;)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Aho - 30 points
Marner - 29 points
Nylander - 28 points

I want to start a thread on the main board about it, but I'm choosing to show restraint instead. Some Leafs fans were adamant that Aho wasn't in the same class as the other two coming into the season and look what we have here.

1. Start one comparing late 1st/early 2nd guys Brock Boeser (21+17) and Aho, and also work in the flow.

GettyImages-476080204.0.0.0.jpg

2. Wait.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I find it hard to say that was a clunker game from Ward. 1st goal, 2-1 no chance. 2nd goal the D let the guy walk right in and he shot it where every coach from mites on up tell guys to shoot because it's one of the toughest to stop, just over the pad on the blocker side. 3rd goal, yeah, he recovered poorly on the wonky rebound off the wall so didn't play it well, but his defensemen let Orlov waltz right in. Ovi's game tying goal? No chance. OT looked soft, but let's not kid ourselves, that was the best sniper in the NHL shooting on him.

I've never been a Ward fanboy and am by no means saying he played great last night, but at least 3 of those he had little to no chance on.

Understand your POV on this, but from what I saw at the game as well as the replays, that 3rd goal was almost 100% a Cam Ward derp. The 4th goal, was a sweet play by Ovechkin, no doubt. But Cam looked to be slightly favoring his glove side, playing a smidge too deep, but the real thing is he looked to be focused on the man not the puck. It appeared that he lost sight of it at the end of the sequence, and, of course, Ovi whizzed it by him.

The overtime goal was a back breaker and while you'd like to see Cam make a great save there, that's what it would have been....a great save. There were just too many mistakes late in the game. Frankly, I thought Pesce played an outstanding game and, for 2 periods, so did Slavin. Things just seemed to fall apart for the entire team defensively.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
NHL.com - Stats

I'm surprised to see Rantanen up so high on the 2015 draftee scoring race list. He doesn't get the hype he deserves.

It's also interesting to see Hanifin actually outproducing Werenski thus far in 17-18.

Rantanen has been a beast when I've seen him this year, however he also has the benefit of being stapled to Nathan "43 points in his last 29 games" MacKinnon.

Will be fairer next year when Aho is stapled to the left side of Tavares.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
NHL.com - Stats

I'm surprised to see Rantanen up so high on the 2015 draftee scoring race list. He doesn't get the hype he deserves.

It's also interesting to see Hanifin actually outproducing Werenski thus far in 17-18.

Dear god, that is the perfect hockey hair.

Edit: I quoted the wrong post because I am a moron.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Rantanen has been a beast when I've seen him this year, however he also has the benefit of being stapled to Nathan "43 points in his last 29 games" MacKinnon.

Will be fairer next year when Aho is stapled to the left side of Tavares.

With Pulju stapled to McD and Laine stapled to Scheifele, the dismantling of our WJC glory will be complete.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Understand your POV on this, but from what I saw at the game as well as the replays, that 3rd goal was almost 100% a Cam Ward derp.

Like I said, he didn't play it great but got zero help from the team in front of him. I personally wouldn't put that 100% on Ward, but am fine if you feel that way and won't argue it.

The 4th goal, was a sweet play by Ovechkin, no doubt. But Cam looked to be slightly favoring his glove side, playing a smidge too deep, but the real thing is he looked to be focused on the man not the puck. It appeared that he lost sight of it at the end of the sequence, and, of course, Ovi whizzed it by him.

That's being unrealistically picky. Bad turn-over, sweet pass from one of the best playmakers in the game to one of the best goal scorers in the game on a bang, bang play. It would have taken quite a play for him to stop that.

The overtime goal was a back breaker and while you'd like to see Cam make a great save there, that's what it would have been....a great save. There were just too many mistakes late in the game. Frankly, I thought Pesce played an outstanding game and, for 2 periods, so did Slavin. Things just seemed to fall apart for the entire team defensively.

Agree on all that. Very sloppy play all around. I'm not sure if it was scouting on the Caps part or poor execution on the Canes part or both, but they seemingly picked off, nearly picked off, or deflected a lot of the Canes passes last night. Of course, the Caps weren't overly sharp either.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Like I said, he didn't play it great but got zero help from the team in front of him. I personally wouldn't put that 100% on Ward, but am fine if you feel that way and won't argue it.

That's being unrealistically picky. Bad turn-over, sweet pass from one of the best playmakers in the game to one of the best goal scorers in the game on a bang, bang play. It would have taken quite a play for him to stop that.

Agree on all that. Very sloppy play all around. I'm not sure if it was scouting on the Caps part or poor execution on the Canes part or both, but they seemingly picked off, nearly picked off, or deflected a lot of the Canes passes last night. Of course, the Caps weren't overly sharp either.

Okay, I'll put it 90% on Ward :sarcasm:

I wasn't putting the 4th goal all on Ward but I wasn't absolving him of a fair amount of responsibility. I was there and fully realize it was Ales "Freakin'" Ovechkin, so there is always that. But it was also pretty clear he lost sight of the puck. I thought for a second that he was going to try a poke check as Ovi closed on him; might not have been a bad choice, but it was such a split second deal and he probably wasn't close enough to execute it properly. But from where I sat and from all the replays that I watched, I felt that Ward didn't play it particularly well. But then again, if Slavin doesn't make the ill advised pass to the center of the ice, then the play doesn't happen at all....so yeah, maybe I'm nit-picking a bit, but I really do want to see one of our goalies stop more than one shot that they have to stop to keep the game in play.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Okay, I'll put it 90% on Ward :sarcasm:

I wasn't putting the 4th goal all on Ward but I wasn't absolving him of a fair amount of responsibility. I was there and fully realize it was Ales "Freakin'" Ovechkin, so there is always that. But it was also pretty clear he lost sight of the puck. I thought for a second that he was going to try a poke check as Ovi closed on him; might not have been a bad choice, but it was such a split second deal and he probably wasn't close enough to execute it properly. But from where I sat and from all the replays that I watched, I felt that Ward didn't play it particularly well. But then again, if Slavin doesn't make the ill advised pass to the center of the ice, then the play doesn't happen at all....so yeah, maybe I'm nit-picking a bit, but I really do want to see one of our goalies stop more than one shot that they have to stop to keep the game in play.

No maybe about it. :D

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Everyone be debating who's fault it was. This is what's great about the game of hockey, it's such a team game, it's hard to pinpoint just who's fault it was. You could sprinkle some of the blame on the forwards, the defense, the coach, and Ward haha.

And sometimes, it's nobody's fault. Sometimes, the other team and the other player are just plain better than your team and your player and make a good play.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Aho - 30 points
Marner - 29 points
Nylander - 28 points

I want to start a thread on the main board about it, but I'm choosing to show restraint instead. Some Leafs fans were adamant that Aho wasn't in the same class as the other two coming into the season and look what we have here.

What would Aho’s Matthews adjusted stats be compared to Marner / Nylander with Staal?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Aho - 30 points
Marner - 29 points
Nylander - 28 points

Yeah well, that's because we're national media darlings. Plus the tier system means that, like flights in a bad local weekend golf tournament, Aho's national media darling status means that his 30 points only translates to 14 real-life points. Marner is playing on the next tier up, where 29 points equals 54 real-life points.

Science

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Yeah well, that's because we're national media darlings. Plus the tier system means that, like flights in a bad local weekend golf tournament, Aho's national media darling status means that his 30 points only translates to 14 real-life points. Marner is playing on the next tier up, where 29 points equals 54 real-life points.

Science

Watched the TB-TOR game last night, and I gotta say all the Marner hype is real. It's a shame those six goals he scored were all called back, but at least he was there to save all those lives in the crowd and deliver that intermission lecture on dialectical materialism and modern media culture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad