Confirmed with Link: Canes acquire Trevor van Riemsdyk +7th for Pit 2nd

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Go for a longshot with a young goalie with the 7th.

Yep, pick some random 20yo that played in the world championships and hope he doesn't switch agents to Ritch Winter

Thinking a bit more, maybe the draft pick cost was upped a bit because the pick also includes the cost to get Vegas to take TVR over someone else.

Eh the protect list for Chicago had him as the obvious selection. Only other quality guy there was Krueger.

Reactions: Unsustainable

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Van Riemsdyk, who has a cap hit of $825,000 for 2017-18, played with Canes defenseman Brett Pesce at New Hampshire and like Pesce is a right-handed shot. Unlike Pesce, van Riemsdyk was not drafted by an NHL team.

Maybe we know something more for TVR.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'm not a fan of Duchene by any means but i don't care that much about the situation with the contract - with this roster + Duchene we could be in playoffs in next two seasons. Only if we could land him without giving up Hanifin/Slavin...

In what world do you think Slavin would ever be on the table, or be a requirement, for Duchene?

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
In what world do you think Slavin would ever be on the table, or be a requirement, for Duchene?
Wtf, where i say that he's on the table? I just think that Sakic will ask for him. I wouldn't trade Slavin nor Hanifin for Duchene. I'm fine with Bean and our first though.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Aaaand that's why I was disappointed with the 2nd rounder.

Schlemko to the Habs for a 5th.

VGK is having a fire...sale on defenseman, and we probably just paid the most premium price.

TVR is the better player, younger, cheaper, right handed shot. I don't see the problem here.

LD's are a lot more available, and Schlemko is one of them...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I see what A.D. is saying about giving up a 2nd for TVR. Seems like a bit much, but I think RF did not want to do what he did last year. He tried to solve the 3rd pairing D via free agency and failed and was left to scramble with the likes of Dhalbeck and Nakladal. I think he paid a bit of a premium (not much though), like he did with the 3rd for Darling's negotiation rights so that he could get in front of everyone else.

In that light, I'm ok with it. He can now focus 100% on the draft and trying to get an impact forward.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
An underrated part of this is that having 5 (6 if Fleury is legit) guys that can at worst pass as top 4 defenseman. That means if any of the top 4 is nicked up a bit, they can sit a game or a week or whatever and the team isn't totally up ***** creek without them. Faulk espescially constantly comes back from injuries way too early because it means tweedle dee and tweedle dum taking his top 4 spot.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I see what A.D. is saying about giving up a 2nd for TVR. Seems like a bit much, but I think RF did not want to do what he did last year. He tried to solve the 3rd pairing D via free agency and failed and was left to scramble with the likes of Dhalbeck and Nakladal. I think he paid a bit of a premium (not much though), like he did with the 3rd for Darling's negotiation rights so that he could get in front of everyone else.

In that light, I'm ok with it. He can now focus 100% on the draft and trying to get an impact forward.

That's fair.

I am excited to have him, having that crappy bottom pairing last year at times felt like our top 4 didn't matter because of how often the third group got manhandled. Shoring that up is an exciting thing. I just wish it could've been for less, seems like there's a lot of good players in the 2nd/3rd range this year.

That said, I said I'd be ok with a 3rd, and the 62nd overall would be a 3rd any other year. Add in a 7th and it's not so bad. More complaining over nothing I guess.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
An underrated part of this is that having 5 (6 if Fleury is legit) guys that can at worst pass as top 4 defenseman. That means if any of the top 4 is nicked up a bit, they can sit a game or a week or whatever and the team isn't totally up ***** creek without them. Faulk espescially constantly comes back from injuries way too early because it means tweedle dee and tweedle dum taking his top 4 spot.

He's passable for sure, but when he played 2nd pairing with Seabrook last year he was a disaster. He is very clearly a 3rd pairing guy, a good one, mind you, but considering him a 2nd/3rd pairing guy is something I'd disagree with.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
That's fair.

I am excited to have him, having that crappy bottom pairing last year at times felt like our top 4 didn't matter because of how often the third group got manhandled. Shoring that up is an exciting thing. I just wish it could've been for less, seems like there's a lot of good players in the 2nd/3rd range this year.

That said, I said I'd be ok with a 3rd, and the 62nd overall would be a 3rd any other year. Add in a 7th and it's not so bad. More complaining over nothing I guess.

And don't forget to take into account that we got to keep Stempniak for a 5th rounder. This deal could of very well been apart of that 5th to keep Stemp deal.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
He's passable for sure, but when he played 2nd pairing with Seabrook last year he was a disaster. He is very clearly a 3rd pairing guy, a good one, mind you, but considering him a 2nd/3rd pairing guy is something I'd disagree with.

I'm. It saying he's a top 4 guy, but the way he plays stylistically means he can play in that role briefly and not look like a putz. Like Harrison would look almost competent as a bottom pairing guy and then a total gong show the minute he had to move up. I think TVR is that bottom pair guy that can move up in a pinch. Not necessarily over a long stretch of time, but if Faulk has a sore knee and needs a game off to get better? They'll be ok. Last year the alternative was Dahlbek and Tennyson in the lineup at the same time.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm. It saying he's a top 4 guy, but the way he plays stylistically means he can play in that role briefly and not look like a putz. Like Harrison would look almost competent as a bottom pairing guy and then a total gong show the minute he had to move up. I think TVR is that bottom pair guy that can move up in a pinch. Not necessarily over a long stretch of time, but if Faulk has a sore knee and needs a game off to get better? They'll be ok. Last year the alternative was Dahlbek and Tennyson in the lineup at the same time.

Truth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->