Confirmed with Link: Canes acquire Trevor van Riemsdyk +7th for Pit 2nd

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I like it when people drop by here and ask us what our needs are, instead of just making assumptions and standing by them on other boards.

Oh the better was the knee-jerk "oh, well I guess this makes Hanifin expendable" right after it was announced.

Can't wait for the JVR for Hanifin/Slavin threads to start up this afternoon. All we've been missing so far is Toronto fans to get involved.

This is going to be a fun offseason.

:popcorn:

Reactions: Unsustainable

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I suppose whatever random asset they would have taken and its value doesn't really matter as much as it matters that as opposed to that asset, they chose an asset on our behalf. That seems to have some pertinence as it pertains to the price I would suspect. But considering that it's 45 minutes after the deal and we still don't have the other piece of the trade, I will now assume it was free. Thanks Vegas.

Respectfully disagreed, since before CAR was even mentioned in this discussion it was clear that TVR was their #1 choice.

Sounds like TVR + 7th for a late 2nd. Can live with but probably a slight overpayment.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So what you're telling me is

:canes
Trevor VanReimsdyk
2017 7th Rounder
Expansion Draft Protection on Stempniak
Expansion Draft Protection on Nordstrom

:vegas
2017 2nd Rounder
2017 5th Rounder
Connor Brickley

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to excuse myself while I laugh about this for a long, long time.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
So it`s Pens 2nd for TVR on a great deal for bottom pair D who is decent? I think I am fine with this, this is the reason why we had so many picks, so we can give up some to get something we need.

3rd pair D man - check
Goalie - check
Scoring help - still needed

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The second is essentially a third if it's the penguins. We were able to protect our two forwards, gain a solid third pairing defenseman and a 7th for a late 2nd and a 5th. I'm ok with it. We still have two better seconds.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If you look at it like this:

To Carolina:
7th round pick
Protecting Stempniak and Nordstrom
Trevor van Riemsdyk

To Vegas:
Pit 2nd
Boston 5th
Connor Brickley

It looks pretty damn good for us

That's just robbery on our end. We guy a guy who immediately slots into a defensive pairing and will likely play 70+ games this year for a borderline 2nd/3rd, a 5th, and an AHLer? And for our troubles, they throw in a 7th?

Seriously, is Francis just using McPhee as a puppet?

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Not flashy but beyond effective. I don't know if there's a HOF type player who was the spitting image of his playing career as a GM.

That's the way I see it, and expiring UFA Hainsey for TVR is a solid move. Some people will get their panties in a wad over a 2nd rounder, but I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That's the way I see it, and expiring UFA Hainsey for TVR is a solid move. Some people will get their panties in a wad over a 2nd rounder, but I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today.

When you have a stack of picks, spending one for a young player who will immediately slot into the lineup is a no-brainer. A 2nd round pick, especially one that low in a year like this, is a complete crapshoot on whether or not they'll make it and contribute at the NHL level. This feels like a big win on our end.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I'm not a fan of Duchene by any means but i don't care that much about the situation with the contract - with this roster + Duchene we could be in playoffs in next two seasons. Only if we could land him without giving up Hanifin/Slavin...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->