Canelo vs Golovkin

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Lol this was even bigger robbery than Nunes vs Shevchenko. GGG clearly won that fight. Canelo maybe landed better shots. But GGG landed clearly more shots, was the agressor and that should be enough.

No doubt.

GGG was the agressor, though Canelo was essentially putting himself out there and saying something along the lines of "what does this supposed knockout master have"

The scoring in boxing is what prevents me from transitioning out of casual fandom and into being a diehard. It's too subjective IMO'

as a hockey huy , give me sudden death! These are two warriors, let the fight go on till someone is on their back!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Joke of a decision. How anyone can give Canelo more than 5 rounds max is beyond me.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Watched the fight at a movie theater tonight. A majority of people clearly rooting for Canelo and the entire theater gasped at the idiot, I mean Byrd's scorecard, and then booed the decision.

It was a great fight between my two favorite current fighters, but this is why boxing is dying despite a top quality entertaining fight like this one. The judges cannot be trusted and there is absolutely no oversight and no repercussions. This woman has been known to be clueless and it was written about in numerous places BEFORE the fight, yet she continues to be assigned to fights.

The quotes from the NSAC director after the fight were disgraceful. Incompetency at best, corruption at worst, condoned as a "bad day" and "it happens" is outrageous.

And mark my word this woman will continue to get work. How is nothing done about this? How can someone show a pattern of being incompetent at their job and yet they continue to be employed and paid?

It is very sad that a great fight is now going to be overshadowed by another black eye for boxing. But they will get their rematch and get more money, so everything is fine and nothing will be done.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Bad decision by that one judge - reminded me of Leonard v Haggler (the first great fight of my childhood). GGG was robbed of the win, but will make plenty of dough on the rematch so maybe it ain't so bad for him. Couldn't make as much against anyone if he walked out with the win.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
And mark my word this woman will continue to get work. How is nothing done about this? How can someone show a pattern of being incompetent at their job and yet they continue to be employed and paid?

It is very sad that a great fight is now going to be overshadowed by another black eye for boxing. But they will get their rematch and get more money, so everything is fine and nothing will be done.

Yes i will. I could make a bet that her career as a referee is over and it take's under month.

There won't be rematch. GGG is 36 years old and he doesn't give a **** about money. He is 1 or 2 fights away from finishing his career and i think that he wants to end his career with knockouts. It doesn't sell that much at second time and he already beat Saul. There is no reason for rematch. Canelo duck GGG few years, wait till he got out of his prime and still got his ass whooped.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
I think one of the most important things we learned last night is that Golovkin can handle real competition that's thrown at him. And he might not win it by knockout but as Kellerman said last night, he's faced Danny Jacobs and Canelo Alvarez and arguably was the better boxer in both.

Before last night, there was this perception that while Golovkin was good, he did not face the best the middleweight class had to offer. Canelo was the one who was fighting guys like Mayweather and challenging himself. In addition to that, yesterday was Golovkin's first fight in Las Vegas, believe it or not. Despite all that, he was able to look somewhat dominant and made Canelo look vulnerable for most of the fight. New respect for him.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
People told me not to watch the mcgregor-mayweather because it's a farce and to watch the GGG-Canelo fight for real boxing. I'd say this is the bigger farce

Yup.

Posters here were saying that was a joke but GGG-Canelo is what everyone should really watch. Boxing ****ing stinks. It has for years. At least I got a freakshow out of the Mayweather fight.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Yes i will. I could make a bet that her career as a referee is over and it take's under month.

There won't be rematch. GGG is 36 years old and he doesn't give a **** about money. He is 1 or 2 fights away from finishing his career and i think that he wants to end his career with knockouts. It doesn't sell that much at second time and he already beat Saul. There is no reason for rematch. Canelo duck GGG few years, wait till he got out of his prime and still got his ass whooped.

You must have missed the part where Canelo has an immediate rematch clause in his contract. It's going to happen.

Sep 19, 2008
There's too much money for it not to happen. The question is that as Atlas pointed out on ESPN Golovkin is getting old and who knows if he'll be the same guy during the rematch. But one is probably going to happen. It depends on whether Byrd will also be working the match too...

Again I'm really impressed with how Golovkin did against legitimate competition and that was a concern, he wasn't "boxing anyone good" because they kept dodging him, well he beat Jacobs and he didn't lose at all to Canelo

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
You must have missed the part where Canelo has an immediate rematch clause in his contract. It's going to happen.

No it's not. Golovkin retires before Canelo is ready to fight again. He knows that he has no chance to beat GGG before he turns 40. And GGG also won't fight at Vegas again. Does Canelo have balls to fight at Europe? I really doubt it. Rematch clause was only if Golovkin wons. There was no word about draw. There is pretty many factors why it wouldn't happen.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Oscar has been buying judges since Canelo started out. 114-114 against Mayweather... really? The Cotto scorecard? Now this.

GGG is more of a Mexican fighter than Canelo is.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Teddy Atlas had a pretty hot take about that one judge's scores (Byrd). He even referenced corruption, although the way he discussed it was as if it were more a result of indirect effects because of the influence of a small number of promoters. Surely that implies Oscar.

That seems ironic as Oscar made Floyd/Connor out to be a farce and he even took it to the point of saying that the fight was a circus attraction (I think) that threatened the integrity of the sport of boxing. So yeah, weak ground for that now (not that MMA has a great track record for fair decisions in big fights).

It was a great fight though in any event. I would really like to see them fight again. Age factor really favours Canelo in a rematch I think.

In a rematch give me Canelo. GGG has awesome skills and is a boss ring general but Canelo was able to hurt him a couple of times and you have to think those blows add up, mentally and physically, and I like his chances for a TKO.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Teddy Atlas had a pretty hot take about that one judge's scores (Byrd). He even referenced corruption, although the way he discussed it was as if it were more a result of indirect effects because of the influence of a small number of promoters. Surely that implies Oscar.

That seems ironic as Oscar made Floyd/Connor out to be a farce and he even took it to the point of saying that the fight was a circus attraction (I think) that threatened the integrity of the sport of boxing. So yeah, weak ground for that now (not that MMA has a great track record for fair decisions in big fights).

It was a great fight though in any event. I would really like to see them fight again. Age factor really favours Canelo in a rematch I think.

In a rematch give me Canelo. GGG has awesome skills and is a boss ring general but Canelo was able to hurt him a couple of times and you have to think those blows add up, mentally and physically, and I like his chances for a TKO.

Canelo didn't hurt Golovkin at all. Even if he did, it wouldn't have been anything significant or lasting, and Golovkin hurt him just as much, if not more.

Speaking of being impacted mentally or physically, what about Canelo? Golovkin was walking through everything Canelo threw at him and kept coming forward, how do you think that will affect Canelo?

The benefit that Canelo will have in the potential rematch is age, because he will likely stall for another couple of years again. If this fight takes place in Golovkin's prime years he probably finishes Canelo.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Yeah it's a good year for boxing. Not so much for MMA.

I think MMA has taken a huge hit by multiple things, such as:

- Thanks to USADA, a lot of top athletes got busted.

- Jon Jones ruining his career and leaving a question mark on his division.

- Thanks to the point above, the lack of super champions outside of McGregor. In the past, we had the likes of GSP, Silva, Jones, Ronda, etc to make things interesting.

- McGregor's explosion is obviously a good thing, but I think fighting Mayweather did not do the sport any favors outside of profit.

With that said, I'm not sure boxing is in great shape either. I mean I did like the GGG vs Canelo fight, but the judging of that fight alone seriously kills the sport. Also outside of these two guys, I'm not sure I'm interested in seeing other boxers.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Lomachenko, Crawford, Spence, Ward, Joshua are all great.

Loma/Rigo fight in December is gonna be amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->