Candidates for defensemen coach

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Andrei Markov, the best compagnon to play backgammon and have fun after a lost 7th game in the playoffs.

Wow.... what can I say. A top 10 D in his prime who was never part of any controversy through his almost-1000 games career with us, fighting serious injuries throughout it and always had great sportsmanship, and it's how you remember him. "Dommage". Some of us will always acknowledge his qualities and give him his due credit.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Mike Kitchen should be pretty high on the list

they other candidate I have are:

Chris Chelios
Phillipe Boucher
Wade Redden
Marty Wilford
Jay McKee
Mike Komisarek

Chelios would be a great addition, not only due to being a former Norris winner, SCC, but maybe he can impart his secrets of longevity to our defence corps.:dumbo::dumbo::dumbo:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Hopefully a coach that can create a defence corps capable of quick transition to offence. The abilities to coordinate our young prospects into the speedy PMD necessary in this era. An area that Chris Chelios excelled in as an NHL defenceman, whilst having the grit to ensure players didn't set up shop in front of his goalie.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
People keep talking about how far Montreal's level of play is from the current contenders. While I agree, I also say most of it is self-inflicted. The transition games of these teams is way ahead of Montreal because Julien insists on this slow, D-to-D based set up game that no longer works. You have to go north-south quickly. Whoever they pick for this job better understand that fully. Plodding teams stink.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
People keep talking about how far Montreal's level of play is from the current contenders. While I agree, I also say most of it is self-inflicted. The transition games of these teams is way ahead of Montreal because Julien insists on this slow, D-to-D based set up game that no longer works. You have to go north-south quickly. Whoever they pick for this job better understand that fully. Plodding teams stink.

Plenty of good teams still use D to D transition. In fact, a lot of teams actually trend towards east-west since forcing goalie movement is how they score more.

Montreal's a plodding team is more because their best passing D this past season were a 20 year old undersized rookie and a slower vet that was injured the first game of the season and Petry. That, plus the fact that their C couldn't get control of the slot were what killed them offensively.

The weakness at C and D are also why a lost D-zone face-off was basically a goal against.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
As you approach the offensive zone (or once you're in it), D-to-D is more useful. I'm talking about the lame, pointless D-to-D's in their own zone when not pressured. Or retreating behind the net to set up when they have real estate to move it up.

I find they play a brain dead brand of transition where they go on auto-pilot and set up the same way regardless. The good teams read the flow of the play much better and go through their reads with up ice being option 1.

You are absolutely right about draws though. One of the most under-rated components of the game in terms of influencing outcome.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
As you approach the offensive zone (or once you're in it), D-to-D is more useful. I'm talking about the lame, pointless D-to-D's in their own zone when not pressured. Or retreating behind the net to set up when they have real estate to move it up.

I find they play a brain dead brand of transition where they go on auto-pilot and set up the same way regardless. The good teams read the flow of the play much better and go through their reads with up ice being option 1.

You are absolutely right about draws though. One of the most under-rated components of the game in terms of influencing outcome.

Who on the D is going to read the flow of the play better or find seams in the other team's defence. D to D can work if you can build momentum forward as a unit. But other teams can defend against them if there isn't a threat for a quick transition.

That's why Montreal couldn't afford to lose Markov without a replacement. Even with Markov's lack of foot speed, ignoring his offense, he was an incredible passer and has amazing vision. Mete was Montreal's best passing D-man. He's got good upside, but if he's your best puck mover on D and you have play-off aspirations, that's a massive problem.

It may be a coaching issue. But its hard to know if the personnel aren't in place.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Oh, we agree there Captain. It was largely due to the backwards personnel decisions they made. I was just operating on the assumption Julien and the coaching had input as to the type of team/game they wanted.

Jul 6, 2016
Who on the D is going to read the flow of the play better or find seams in the other team's defence. D to D can work if you can build momentum forward as a unit. But other teams can defend against them if there isn't a threat for a quick transition.

That's why Montreal couldn't afford to lose Markov without a replacement. Even with Markov's lack of foot speed, ignoring his offense, he was an incredible passer and has amazing vision. Mete was Montreal's best passing D-man. He's got good upside, but if he's your best puck mover on D and you have play-off aspirations, that's a massive problem.

It may be a coaching issue. But its hard to know if the personnel aren't in place.

You cannot do chicken salad with chicken shit... MB destroyed the whole left side of his D-Corp in one Summer and tried to patch it with bottom six and seventh d-men.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

OB5

May 2, 2015
I wonder if Julien would be able to convince an unemployed head coach to come in and thrive as the D coach. Look at Martin in Pittsburgh.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
It's scary how much better the bit players are when they play for other teams. Joe Morrow is a 7th D but he doesn't look bad for the Jets when he has to play. He complained about the confidence of the coach but for whatever reason he's not giving up easy goals every game now. Beaulieu looked bad in Buffalo but everyone looks bad in Buffalo. Davidson looked better after he changed teams and so did Barberio.

Obviously everyone in Montreal was playing a slot or two up from their ability after Weber went out and Markov left, but even so, guys who were still playing bottom pairing have done better elsewhere. Benn went the other way last year, looking better here than in Dallas.

Maybe Markov was coaching the D the last few years? He made a contribution as a player but maybe he was covering for JJD as well?

Could be that going from the relatively simple system that Therrien likes to the more complicated one that Julien runs and that the players never really figured out just makes everyone suck.

Forwards like Andriggeto and Smith-Pelley looked better elsewhere, too. Obviously the habs didn't evaluate Drouin or Sergachev properly.

I wonder if changing the coaching can help or if they really need Markov playing (player coaching?) 20 minutes per game not to suck.

Maybe hire Andrei as a player coach and transition him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->