Prospect Info: Canadiens 2015 Rookie Tournament Thread (Sept 11th to 13th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Didn't see this posted. The Habs are going to be replacing the Blackhawks in the Leafs' annual rookie tournament in London.

For the third straight year, the Toronto Maple Leafs will hold their rookie tournament in London at Budweiser Gardens.

The 2015 rookie tournament will see the Montreal Canadiens making the trip to London for the first time, replacing the Chicago Blackhawks. The Ottawa Senators and Pittsburgh Penguins will also participate.

http://www.am980.ca/2015/04/20/leafs-rookie-tournament-london/

Habs haven't participated in a rookie tourney in a long time so this should be interesting to watch.

Schedule (thanks to habsprospects):

Scrimmages will also be held on Tuesday, July 7 and Wednesday, July 8, at 4 p.m. A three-period intra-squad game will be played on Thursday, July 9, at 9:30 a.m.

Last edited by a moderator:

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
The Sens?! I hope they don't get the Rookie Cup and raise a banner for it... This is good news. I missed the Habs being a part of these things. It just seems like more experience and more opportunity for evaluation, all good things.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
The Sens?! I hope they don't get the Rookie Cup and raise a banner for it... This is good news. I missed the Habs being a part of these things. It just seems like more experience and more opportunity for evaluation, all good things.

The Habs had issues in the past with teams dressing goons and not wanting to risk having their prospects injured by some scrub on another team trying to make a name for himself with a big hit or a fight or something. Which is valid too, I guess. But I think the positives outweigh the negatives overall.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
The Habs had issues in the past with teams dressing goons and not wanting to risk having their prospects injured by some scrub on another team trying to make a name for himself with a big hit or a fight or something. Which is valid too, I guess. But I think the positives outweigh the negatives overall.

Oh yeah I remember all that, I never thought it was a valid enough concern, but I also think that the time of the goon has passed more and more. And I was glad the Leafs were out since IIRC they were the main culprits. I don't think that'll be a problem anymore but yeah, never know.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Oh yeah I remember all that, I never thought it was a valid enough concern, but I also think that the time of the goon has passed more and more. And I was glad the Leafs were out since IIRC they were the main culprits. I don't think that'll be a problem anymore but yeah, never know.

Yeah, doesn't seem to be much of an issue anymore. At least, I can't remember the last time I heard about a guy getting hurt by a cheapshot at a rookie tourney. :dunno:

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
This is great news for the young prospects, I use to go watch 2-3 games years ago when they played at les 4 glaces in Pierrefonds.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
So. . . Who will be on the roster? NHLers not allowed I assume?

Reway - McCarron - Scherbak
Andrighetto - Hudon - Nattinen
Lekhonen - Audette - Thomas
Carr - Dumont - Grégoire

Tinordi - Lernout
Dietz - Nygren
Thrower - Didier

Fucale
Condon

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Reway - McCarron - Scherbak
Andrighetto - Hudon - Nattinen
Lekhonen - Audette - Thomas
Carr - Dumont - Grégoire

Tinordi - Lernout
Dietz - Nygren
Thrower - Didier

Fucale
Condon
Dumont??....LOL
We're sending prospects, not career AHLers...the rest of your list is good though but no way should Dumont be there.

Brockoli

Jun 24, 2004
Dumont??....LOL
We're sending prospects, not career AHLers...the rest of your list is good though but no way should Dumont be there.

Really I wouldn't expect any of Reway, Andrighetto, Hudon, Nattinen, Thomas, Dumont, Carr, Tinordi, Dietz, Nygren, Thrower or Condon. They're all playing pro hockey already.

brockoli

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Nice! I'm already looking forward to this.

With this and the World Championship, hockey games will be back 1/2-1 month sooner this year!

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
I preferred the rookie camps with drills/video rather than this tournament format.

Not enough emphasis put on learning, improving skills.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Some kid got rekt last year at that tourny.

Bad idea. Development camps are much better, imo.

Bad in a good way, for some. The Leafs prospects showed a lot of that Burkian truculence throughout the tournament. Their crew of rough-and-tumble prospects put their stamp on the tournament and set a physical tone throughout.

Physicality is good, but carelessness is not. Likely as a result of these young kids trying to make their presence known and putting on a good show for the suits in the upper boxes, there were several incidents of players hitting from behind, taking runs at semi-defenseless players, and stickwork.

For example, Pittsburgh’s Bobby Farnham went nuts on one shift in the Sunday afternoon game against Chicago. He got a head of steam from the blueline and ran a guy in the corner, went to the opposite boards and delivered an ugly hit from behind, before running into a solid right cross from Bobby Shea.

no wonder the Hawks dropped out....

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I would guess it will be our CHL prospects plus maybe some of the younger AHL prospects, plus any undrafted FA NCAA/CHL prospects we might be looking at signing. The Euro picks likely won't be there as it's too close to the start of their season (Reway, Lehkonen), the NCAA guys have to pay their own way and school either will have already started or will start, so not sure we will see any of them or not. (Hawkey, Evans, Sullivan, Koberstein)

McCarron, Scherbak, Grégoire, Bozon, Fucale, Lernout, MacMillan, Didier (if signed), Audette. Perhaps Hudon, Thrower, Fournier, Crisp, Bennett, Carr.

When is this tournament usually held?

Sept 11th through 13th

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
I don't think one prevent the other.

Yeah I'm expecting this will be supplemental, so in that way aside from the small worry of some terrible injury [which I don't worry about, as that can happen anywhere at any time, if its going to happen it happens], this should only be a positive additional step in the development/assessment process. But if it did replace the rookie camp I might have more reservations.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Habs Development Camp 2015

I know....pretty early to start this, though there is some news regarding it and I'll just remember, when it's time, to get this thread going again. Until then...here's the BIG news....;) Alex Dubeau is officially invited to the Habs development camp. Smallish Moncton goalie.

Here's the official twitter feed that announced it. Now that are you are all excited, you can't go back to bed now. But when there are other news as far as the invitations or anything else, let's put it in here. And the reports will also be put in this thread too.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Well we will need a ECHL goalie so...

Surely. Though, we don't know what they think of Palazzese who I think did a fine job with Wheeling. But there's surely better candidate than Dubeau, IMHO.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Is Tinordi going?

I don't think he will. While Beaulieu was there last year, Tinordi wasn't. Will they switch it up this year....;) Quite a few guys will be coming from undrafted kids especially Q guys. Like we did all those years, I will be making a "shortlist" of guys I want to be invited....knowing full well I'm doing this for absolutely nothing as usually nobody is....:laugh: Well last year, was a BIG year....Gadoury and Goulet were invited. Was a pretty good year last year as far as "sexy names".

Need to find the next Tyler Johnson though....I do have some names in that regard....but the mock draft isn't over....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->