Canadian WJ Selection Camp Roster Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
It's being announced Monday, so I think it's about time we start predicting who is going to be invited and who isn't. I'm going to post my entire predicted roster, plus many other guys who might be invited to get us started, but let's try to focus on debating those last few spots rather than everyone posting entire rosters. We all know most of the obvious choices anyway. I'm assuming the breakdown is going to be 4+10+18=32.

G
Price (WHL)
Dubnyk (WHL)
Ellis (QMJHL)
Pogge (WHL)

The only other guy I can imagine getting invited would be Pelletier, but I think the above 4 are much more likely.

D
Barker (WHL)
Bourdon (QMJHL)
Staal (OHL)
Parent (OHL)
Fistric (WHL)
Jackson (WHL)
Russel (WHL)
Rogers (WHL)
Funk (WHL)
Schultz (WHL)

Others who could be invited include Kohn (WHL), Stephenson (WHL), Letang (QMJHL), Gragnani (QMJHL), Vlasic (QMJHL), and Pokoluk (NCAA). Mikkelson (WHL) would have certainly been invited, and I think would have likely made the team, but he tore his MCL and won't be healthy until mid December at the very earliest.

F
Chipchura (WHL)
Bolland (OHL)
Pouliot (OHL)
Boyd (WHL)
Wolski (OHL)
Latendresse (QMJHL)
Comeau (WHL)
Cogliano (NCAA)
McCardle (WHL)
Little (OHL)
Bourret (QMJHL)
Downie (OHL)
Bass (OHL)
O'Marra (OHL)
Setoguchi (WHL)
McGrath (OHL)
Chucko (NCAA)
Toews (NCAA)

Other possibilities include Bertram (NCAA), Brassard (QMJHL), Reddox (OHL), Kennedy (OHL), Blunden (OHL), Pyatt (OHL), Cabana (QMJHL), and Esposito (QMJHL) although I think he's unlikely. Too bad Brule got hurt again.

Have I forgotten anyone? Who do you think are going to fill out those last few spots?

Last edited:

phil macrackin

Sep 28, 2005
Pouliot isn't eligible - too old. My hunch pick is Gragnani, although I'm not sure he'll make the final roster. He's been awesome for PEI this year. I also think Cabana could surprise. He's done well in previous Team Canada appearances and he plays a Sutter type of game.

Maybe some of you OHL guys can tell me if Patrick McNeill has any chance. I look at the D candidates and picture an opening for a PP guy. McNeill's second in the O in D scoring so maybe he'd be a guy to slot in there.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
phil macrackin said:
Pouliot isn't eligible - too old. My hunch pick is Gragnani, although I'm not sure he'll make the final roster. He's been awesome for PEI this year. I also think Cabana could surprise. He's done well in previous Team Canada appearances and he plays a Sutter type of game.

Maybe some of you OHL guys can tell me if Patrick McNeill has any chance. I look at the D candidates and picture an opening for a PP guy. McNeill's second in the O in D scoring so maybe he'd be a guy to slot in there.
Benoit, not MA.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
FLYLine88 said:
Ryan Russel, Forward (WHL). Kris Russel's brother.
I thought of Russel, and I just don't think there's room for him. Who does he bump off? I had enough difficulty finding a space for Toews, who I think will be invited.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
That's basically my list as well. I think Bertram will get invited though. It's a shame that Mikkelson won't be invited and won't make the team because he probably would have made it.

Not to be picky but Pouliot is from the OHL not the Q.

I can't wait until Monday when we will see who gets invited.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
canucksfan said:
That's basically my list as well. I think Bertram will get invited though. It's a shame that Mikkelson won't be invited and won't make the team because he probably would have made it.

Not to be picky but Pouliot is from the OHL not the Q.

I can't wait until Monday when we will see who gets invited.
Edited, thanks. Sudbury, I know, just wasn't thinking.

Last edited:

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I'd love to see Price to start for team Canada... Hopefully Sheppard, Brassard and Towes will be there too, they're very interesting for the 2006 draft.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I think you will see Esposito there and possibly make the team...he is super good now and will be a great player to build the team around for another year. I really think you will see Chad Denny and Kristopher Letang both get invited or Marc-Andre Gragnani.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
I'd like to know opinions from people who follow the WHL closely: what type of role can we expect Kyle Chipchura for Team Canada? He's a very good two-way forward who plays hard on every shift, but does he have an outside chance at being able to center one of the top two lines the way he's been playing in the dub? This Prince Albert team can't score goals it seems. Therefore Chippy doesn't have good offensive numbers.

However I was really impressed with his play in the 1st WHL-Russia game. I've heard he's been even better in Game 2. He seems to have untapped offensive upside.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Kyle Chipchura said:
I'd like to know opinions from people who follow the WHL closely: what type of role can we expect Kyle Chipchura for Team Canada? He's a very good two-way forward who plays hard on every shift, but does he have an outside chance at being able to center one of the top two lines the way he's been playing in the dub? This Prince Albert team can't score goals it seems. Therefore Chippy doesn't have good offensive numbers.

However I was really impressed with his play in the 1st WHL-Russia game. I've heard he's been even better in Game 2. He seems to have untapped offensive upside.
I think he will be on the third or fourth line. There really isn't any room for him on the top two lines. Bolland and Cogliano will most likely center the top two lines. I was impressed with him in both of the Russian games.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Any comments on these forward lines for Team Canada?

Pouliot - Cogliano - Latendresse
Wolski - Bolland - McGrath
McArdle - Chipchura - Setoguchi
Chucko - O'Marra - Comeau

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
FLYLine88 said:
:rolleyes: saids the Nuck fan.
Who do you think is better than Bourdon? Instead of attacking me as a homer maybe write something useful. I have said even before Bourdon was Canucks property that he was the best defenceman in the 2005 draft, not including Johnson of course.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
scoutman1 said:
I think you will see Esposito there and possibly make the team...he is super good now and will be a great player to build the team around for another year. I really think you will see Chad Denny and Kristopher Letang both get invited or Marc-Andre Gragnani.
Denny stood out as awful at the summer camp; by far the worst player on the ice and looked completely out of his league. Espo I just don't think is likely to be good enough at 16 to make the team, although I admit I've never seen him. It just takes an absolutely phenomenal 16 year old to make the Canadian WJ team, and those kinds of phenoms are rare. Canada never builds for the future at the WJs, they take the team that will give them the best chance to win, which is absolutely the correct philosophy in my opinion.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Bolland will not be centring, he'll play right wing. The lines are difficult to predict. I still don't think they'll keep the Cogliano Pouliot Latendresse line together because for one thing, Pouliot is better suited to wing (I still am a bit unusre why they had Cogliano playing out of position at left wing and Pouliot at centre when he more often plays wing; I can only assume that Sutter felt Cogliano wasn't strong enough defensively and down low for centre, but from what I saw he was better than Pouliot in those areas), and also because I think that line has a little too much risk and inconsistency issues. I could be wrong though.

There are plenty of centres who will be there, and some of them have to play out of position which makes it even more difficult to predict. Boyd, Pouliot, Little, Brule, McGrath, Gagnon, O'Marra and Bass were the centres at the summer camp, and on top of those guys at least Cogliano, Bertram, Chipchura and Toews all play centre. Predicting lines is especially difficult until we at least see who Sutter wants to play out of position. Once selection camp starts we should have a better idea of what the plans for the lines might look like, or at least what position guys are slotted to be playing.

CoolDude*

canucksfan said:
Who do you think is better than Bourdon? Instead of attacking me as a homer maybe write something useful. I have said even before Bourdon was Canucks property that he was the best defenceman in the 2005 draft, not including Johnson of course.

According to 29 other GM's Staal is better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad