Canadian Media overkill with this years World Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
The tournament is just starting and I'm already sick and tired of the overkill this years championships are getting from the media in Canada.

Any other year the World Championships are a back page story and highlights are usually shown after baseball, golf and basketball highlights.

This year the hockey starved media types are micro analyzing the tournament which so many stars decided not to participate in. I know that I won't be watching any of the games except maybe a final if it's between Canada and the USA.

How do the rest of you feel about this years coverage?

mooseOAK*

A game against Slovenia certainly doen't require as much coverage as it gets, it is only newsworthy if Canada loses and otherwise I couldn't care less about such a mismatch.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Getting good coverage of it in Britian on NASN with the TSN feed...... games are on at a reasonable time so im watching some of it.

(Watching Canada vs Slovenia as i type)

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
The tournament has been gathering steam in Canada in recent years as they have sent more talented teams and come home with medals. I think the lockout was just the final step they needed to have this become a big event to more casual (or strictly NHL) Canadian fans. I think it's just going to get bigger every year now with the tournament coming to Canada in 2008.

espo*

eye said:
The tournament is just starting and I'm already sick and tired of the overkill this years championships are getting from the media in Canada.

Any other year the World Championships are a back page story and highlights are usually shown after baseball, golf and basketball highlights.

This year the hockey starved media types are micro analyzing the tournament which so many stars decided not to participate in. I know that I won't be watching any of the games except maybe a final if it's between Canada and the USA.

I see not much difference,it's gotten quite big in Canada in the last 10 years.Tsn always covers it with a lot of fanfare.there is a little bit more hype this year but not that much,it's always in the papers and on t.v sportsnews here before it starts.Anyway,why complain? It's good isn't it?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
cyclops said:
I see not much difference,it's gotten quite big in Canada in the last 10 years.Tsn always covers it with a lot of fanfare.there is a little bit more hype this year but not that much,it's always in the papers and on t.v sportsnews here before it starts.Anyway,why complain? It's good isn't it?

That's not entirely true. For a couple of seasons, (1999, 2000, 2001 I believe) TSN didn't even cover the event, and it was on either The Score (when it was Headline Sports) or Sportsnet. This year, the hype has certainly been more than ever. Ever since Bettman called off the season, there was speculation that this tournament would be best on best again, and starting then, there was speculation as to who would represent Canada. That type of anticipation has never been there.

I can't believe that some people mind it. Finding actual hockey news has been chore, and this tournament is well appreciated. I just wish they showed more games on TSN (like Slovakia-Russia yesterday, instead of Sweden-Denmark).

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
wilka91 said:
Best Worlds ever. Need I say more?

hmm... alot of countries top players aren't palying and for some countries the players are still a little bit rusty... I wouldn't say best ever....

espo*

Tricolore#20 said:
That's not entirely true. For a couple of seasons, (1999, 2000, 2001 I believe) TSN didn't even cover the event, and it was on either The Score (when it was Headline Sports) or Sportsnet. This year, the hype has certainly been more than ever. Ever since Bettman called off the season, there was speculation that this tournament would be best on best again, and starting then, there was speculation as to who would represent Canada. That type of anticipation has never been there.

I can't believe that some people mind it. Finding actual hockey news has been chore, and this tournament is well appreciated. I just wish they showed more games on TSN (like Slovakia-Russia yesterday, instead of Sweden-Denmark).
Well,it may not have been on tsn but it was somewhere,that's what counts. I know i've been watching this tournament since i've been a kid and that's a while ago now and i've lived all my life in Canada..it's always been on t.v in my memory.And....every year (i am a regular paper reader) they always have articles in the paper day after day about our team and the tournament....and they start these things weeks before the games begin.To me (a regular watcher of this tournament for about 28 years) it's been business as usual.Little more hype?Yes...much more? no.It's a popular tournament in Canada for awhile now...at least for hockey fans in Canada.When i said tsn always covers it with a lot of fanfare i meant when they DO cover it they cover it with a lot of fanfare,they put a lot into it.Either way,someone has always been covering it for years now and it always gets press here.

Oil_slick9416*

find something to complain about man, if you don't like it fine, don't watch it. but complaining because it's being covered is weak. grow up.

espo*

Finn said:
hmm... alot of countries top players aren't palying and for some countries the players are still a little bit rusty... I wouldn't say best ever....
exactly.It's a failry run of the mill world championships imo.It is what it is,not much better then any average year.I still just enjoy it for what it is.In some ways it's been overhyped by some people...the quality is not that much higher then usual.For some teams it's lower.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Finn said:

Yeah, not everyone's here, but there's never been so many good players at the Worlds.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Re:

I personally love it. I only care about two kinds of hockey: International hockey, and the NHL. The last hockey we saw at this level was in september for the world cup. I AM STARVING FOR HOCKEY! I don't care if it's Canada vs. Slovenia... IT'S HOCKEY! Those who are upset that you are getting more coverage than you would like... Too bad. This is for real hockey fans.

:shakehead

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
eye said:

I dont think a hockey fan board is the place for you if you dont like hockey.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
i find the coverage (from TSN) very similar to the WJHC. they talk about every player as if he's a prospect.

that being said, i'm just glad i get to watch some hockey! i'm tired of seeing the raptors get their asses handed to them

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Massive media coverage for this event for a simple reason:
THERE IS A MARKET FOR IT HERE.
I love the game at its highest level and I am starved for something to cheer for.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
All that media coverage yet it's navel gazing. Games against Latvia and Slovenia?

The Russia-Slovakia game was worth twice the coverage alone.

TSN is notorious for being patriots first, journalists a distant second. They aren't alone.

Understandable because the only Canadians who have been able to watch other teams play are guys like me who are presently outside of the country and have access to mediazone's blanket coverage of the tourney.

Finland and the Czech Republic are playing well with team cohesiveness. And Slovakia too, albeit the defenders haven't cleared the crease enough, IMO.

I could easily see the Canadians and Russians missing medals, despite the hype.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Showing to much hockey and your mad?? With all your complaining about the CBA i always thought you were a real fan, you fooled me.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
Wow, I wish we had hockey coverage here :shakehead

At least you guys can watch some games - and if you don't like the coverage, you can turn it off! I WISH I could complain about media overkill.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Incredibly stupid premise for a thread. You call this coverage overkill? Were you locked in a closet for the recent Super Bowl and March Madness? That was overkill.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
eye said:
I wouldn't know considering I'm one of the deprived Americans. :( I'd be so happy just to see one game and you say there is too much of it up there. Lucky.

You shouldn't complain, you have no idea how good you guys have it when it comes to hockey coverage. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad