Canadian Governments Shoot Themselves In The Foot: allowing teams to leave

puckhead103*

When you deal with Canadian based governments and the issue of subsidizing Canadian based teams, Canadian governments tend to back away from helping their own teams in getting new arena and allow those teams leave…..

In Edmonton, the owners there want to a new arena...however, the government there is kinda lukewarm on the subject......

In Calgary, the owners want one too...however, as same as edmonton, may not want to help the flames stay.......

In Quebec, the premier didn’t want to fund the Nordiques a new arena….Nordiques bolted to Colorado…

In Winnipeg, the idiot politicians botched up on the arena issue……they knew since the late 80’s and early 90’s, the jets needed a new rink to survive, however, they screwed up….the jets bolted to phoenix…..

Back in the early 2000s, a country wide backlash happened when one of the premier wanted to subsidize Canadian based small market teams…..

And don’t tell me we got a salary cap….even when you had salary caps…teams still moved…..and if the owners don’t want to be up to their noses in debt and the government does not want put money up to provide the oil and even the flames a new arena…...they'll bolt to a US town that welcomes a "major league" team.....and enjoy the goodies (corporate support, sold out luxury suites, larger revenue streams) but the city may not have "die hard hockey fans"......

US governments are willing to bend backwards funding new arenas and attract teams there so the city leaders can stick out their chest and say "we're major league".....….….compared to their canadian counterparts...

Even though a significant base of Americans are beginning to take a stand against government subsiding sport teams, however, those governments still can get around this…

I don’t know how Canadian governments work…..but I know the government should be proactive in building an arena for the oil……and well as the flames/nords...

Do u know how the arena in KC was funded?......they put the issue on a referendum where they slapped a 1% hotel and rental car tax to fund KC’s new arena…the voters overwhelming voted and the issue got passed…..

See how easy it was…..if I lived in the big E, cowtown and le quebec…I pressure the government officials in looking at passing a 1% tax on hotels and rental car referendum just what KC did where purchases all tax revenues will go for a new arena……and if you don't want a new arena....we'll vote you out of office.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I must have missed the press announcement that said one of the six teams in Canada had announced plans to relocate to the U.S. :huh:

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
believe it or not, "u" is actually spelled "you".

I'm not really sure anyone who can't spell "you" should be posting in the business of hockey forum. Or posting anywhere for that matter.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
This thread is officially on double secret probation ... and not the good kind, either.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Ah Corporate welfare, my most favourist type of welfare.

Exactly, it's better not to waste public money on the sick and the elderly. They're probably just going to die anyways.

Honestly, even though at times I was pissed off at the decisions to not get more money to teams like Ottawa, where we almost lost the franchise, I think the fact that Canadians are more able to look at the big picture, and not give out massive cheques to successful businesses, that employ millionaires is one of our better traits.

I just wish that a Canadian team had the balls to file a grievance under NAFTA, that all the U.S. arena subsidies, favourable leases, and tax breaks were unfair forms of subsidization while they had a chance. Alas, with the salary cap providing a neutralization effect on any economic advantage, it means that such a grievance would be unsuccessful. Even if it was successful, under the Bush administration, the NAFTA agreement isn't worth the paper it's printed on, so, even a successful grievance would likely be ignored.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Exactly, it's better not to waste public money on the sick and the elderly. They're probably just going to die anyways.

Honestly, even though at times I was pissed off at the decisions to not get more money to teams like Ottawa, where we almost lost the franchise, I think the fact that Canadians are more able to look at the big picture, and not give out massive cheques to successful businesses, that employ millionaires is one of our better traits.

I just wish that a Canadian team had the balls to file a grievance under NAFTA, that all the U.S. arena subsidies, favourable leases, and tax breaks were unfair forms of subsidization while they had a chance. Alas, with the salary cap providing a neutralization effect on any economic advantage, it means that such a grievance would be unsuccessful. Even if it was successful, under the Bush administration, the NAFTA agreement isn't worth the paper it's printed on, so, even a successful grievance would likely be ignored.

I think Culture is protected from Nafta and Pro Sports might be considered Culture, hence why subsidies are legal.

Canada gets to have the CRTC and CBC and Americans get sports teams.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I think Culture is protected from Nafta and Pro Sports might be considered Culture, hence why subsidies are legal.

Canada gets to have the CRTC and CBC and Americans get sports teams.

I wasn't aware of the protection for culture, but, that makes sense. However, I had read a paper on the subject, and, the author felt that a strong case could be made. It was a couple of years ago though, so, things could have changed.

The speculative reason for it not happening, is that unlike other industries, the NHL is not completely competing with other franchise, they're part competitor (particularly in teh field of acquiring personnel) and part partner. Filing a grievance that would see all your business partners face losing all their government subsidies would make you a lot of enemies.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I wasn't aware of the protection for culture, but, that makes sense. However, I had read a paper on the subject, and, the author felt that a strong case could be made. It was a couple of years ago though, so, things could have changed.

The speculative reason for it not happening, is that unlike other industries, the NHL is not completely competing with other franchise, they're part competitor (particularly in teh field of acquiring personnel) and part partner. Filing a grievance that would see all your business partners face losing all their government subsidies would make you a lot of enemies.

If that's the case, then maybe it should be the Canadian government that files the grievance instead of the teams.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
If that's the case, then maybe it should be the Canadian government that files the grievance instead of the teams.

A government cannot file. Only other companies can file.

I do think it's likely more complicated than it sounds. I'd imagine that if it could be done easily, then, when the WHA was being proposed, they could have filed, potentially severely damaging the NHL. Although, perhaps the WHA realized that they wouldn't be able to survive without arena help themselves, which could explain their lack of action on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad