Canada's starting goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Bernier is far from a lock...
Price wasn't there last year...

And if somebody is a lock to go there, it would be Price, because of his last year of eligibility. He should go, but will he be the starter? He's not a lock as the starter for sure...
Berniers head coach on Lewiston is an assistant for Canada, Quite frankly he will have one coach pulling for him no matter what, I like his chances.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
It's ironic that in a draft year thats supposedly "weak" for goalies ( this is expected to be a year where no goalie is drafted in the 1st round...), the draft eligible goalie Cann is raising some eyebrows. I've seen him play... he's pretty solid but a bit on the smalish size.

I'm intrigued to see who gets picked... obviously my homer pick goes to Price, but I'll be rooting for whoever dons the red and white as Canada's keeper.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
It would be completely idiotic to cut the goaltender who performs best at camp, just because he's a year younger than the rest. It's not like Cann hasn't been under this type of pressure before, after leading Canada to the Under 18 gold last year.

I could see that sort of train of thought working if you've got 3 goaltenders who have all performed at the same level, and you want to give the spot to the older guys who are on their last chance to play for team Canada.

But you pick the best players out there, regardless of age. If Cann is clearly the best goalie at camp, you take him. If John Tavares is one of the best forwards at camp, you take him. Whatever players are going to give your squad the best chance of bringing home the gold, you select them. Age should not be a factor if said player is clearly the best.

As Hirsch said, they're not looking just looking for the hot goalie, they're looking for the best goalies. Although I haven't seen hardly any of Cann, if he had been consistently good enough in the past to unseat any of the other 3, there would have been a lot more talk about him previously.

Barring an abolsute disaster of the performance of 2 of the other 3, I just don't see Cann standing a chance.

I'm sensing some extra OHL love here.

Bryzga lol*

Cann also has nothing to lose. He's got no presure compared to the other goaltenders...you have to take that into consideration.

Bryzga lol*

Bob Mackenzie: Price was the better goalie tonight

Closely followed by Irving

Bernier was dissapointing. I saw the 3rd goal and he seemed out of position.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I'd rank their performances tonight like this:

Price
Irving
Cann
Bernier

Price had a couple really nice saves although even he wasn't spectacular. I'm pretty sure he tweaked something in the shootout, one guy seemed to think he'd hurt his knee.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Well i saw that his lateral movement was weak tonight even though all 3 of the goals were hard to stop: a tip, one cross ice pass on a 3 v 1 and a cross crease goal.

I also noticed team red seemed more confident with him in net.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Cann has been cut so it looks like it's down to 3: Irving, Price and Bernier. With Jodoin as an assistant coach, I think Bernier kind of has a better chance of making the team than the other two simply because he knows him well.

When are the last cuts announced and are there any games left?

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Yes, but Jodoin also knows Price from last years camp and im sure hes talked to Timmins and whoever. The point is that Canada is looking for a goalie who will be able to deliver in the tough and its a difficult situation. By the way i dont know how many of you watch the game on the internet but i did last night and Price is exceptional at kicking shots directly into the corners. Very good rebound control, also hes a good puck handler which may prove useful as a 3rd defenceman. If Carey can be solid and not let in a stinker tonight, he has secured himself.

I also think Irving will make the cut at least because Everett is a powerhouse and he is used to seeing relatively little action and knows how to stay focused.

puck_08

Jul 21, 2005
Calgary
You were there...lucky you!! (expensive? tickets...). Where is it anyways? (Calgary?...).

Thanks for any info! (I know! I know! I should do more research on the whereabouts of this camp...I'll go check TSN.ca / junior hockey...).

$5 for wednesday, $10 for thursday vs. CIS... Calgary - Father David Bauer Arena... www.hockeycanada.ca

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
IMO, Irving and Price are going to be the Canadian goaltenders.

There won't be a clear-cut starter named at the beginning.. each goaltender will play one game at the start of the Tourny and whoever is better, will lead Canada the rest of the way.

Tont

May 4, 2006
Last night's goalie stats as best as I can recall

Irving - 16 shots, 1 GA - Looked solid but not spectacular.

Cann - 19 shots, 2 GA - Was a little surprised by him, he played well.

Price - 14 shots, 3 GA - Two of the goals weren't really his fault I'd say, made some very difficult saves.

Bernier - 13 shots, 3 GA - Did not look good at all to me.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Yes, but Jodoin also knows Price from last years camp and im sure hes talked to Timmins and whoever. The point is that Canada is looking for a goalie who will be able to deliver in the tough and its a difficult situation. By the way i dont know how many of you watch the game on the internet but i did last night and Price is exceptional at kicking shots directly into the corners. Very good rebound control, also hes a good puck handler which may prove useful as a 3rd defenceman. If Carey can be solid and not let in a stinker tonight, he has secured himself.

I also think Irving will make the cut at least because Everett is a powerhouse and he is used to seeing relatively little action and knows how to stay focused.

Jodoin wasn't a coach last year, so he wasn't at last year's camp with Price.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
IMO, Irving and Price are going to be the Canadian goaltenders.

There won't be a clear-cut starter named at the beginning.. each goaltender will play one game at the start of the Tourny and whoever is better, will lead Canada the rest of the way.
Canada will be playing a few exhibition games in Finland before the games begin. It's quite likely that the starter could be determined there.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
It would be completely idiotic to cut the goaltender who performs best at camp, just because he's a year younger than the rest. It's not like Cann hasn't been under this type of pressure before, after leading Canada to the Under 18 gold last year.

I could see that sort of train of thought working if you've got 3 goaltenders who have all performed at the same level, and you want to give the spot to the older guys who are on their last chance to play for team Canada.

But you pick the best players out there, regardless of age. If Cann is clearly the best goalie at camp, you take him. If John Tavares is one of the best forwards at camp, you take him. Whatever players are going to give your squad the best chance of bringing home the gold, you select them. Age should not be a factor if said player is clearly the best.

*bink*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->