Canada's starting goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
well, as a Habs fan I'm hoping Price.

But Leland Irving has been great all season so far and is making a strong case for the number 1 job.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I think it will be Price and Bernier. Unlike last year I don't have that much confidence in our goalies. Price has the tendacy to let in a weak goal at a horrible time. I think any one of the five can make the team but I would give a slight edge to Price as of right now.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Im leaning more and more towards Bernier being the starter with the backup being either Irving and Price but not seeing any more then 1 tourny game.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well if Trevor Cann plays another game tomorrow like he did tonight, he's going to force his way onto the team. He looked very poised and very good. Irving on the other hand looked shaky at times. Still very wide open, there is no favourite here.

Bryzga lol*

I guess Price was a standout yesterday during the drills... but Bob Mackenzie said the goal he let in was a softy during the intersquad game (even though it was tipped in???). And Irving let in a weak goal (or two).

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Well if Trevor Cann plays another game tomorrow like he did tonight, he's going to force his way onto the team. He looked very poised and very good. Irving on the other hand looked shaky at times. Still very wide open, there is no favourite here.

I was surprized that Cann didn't make the original selection camp as I thought he had an outside chance at making the team.

I am still not a big fan of Irving's. Everytime I see him he lets a weak goal and looks shaky.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
After tonight's game, I'd rank them like this:

Cann
Bernier
Price
Irving

That list looks pretty funny, I had them ranked the exact opposite heading into the game tonight. :biglaugh: It's too early to make any calls yet though, it will be interesting to see how the goaltenders play tomorrow.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

That's why the people who are saying, "well I can't see why it wouldn't be Bernier because he's been awesome and he's a high pick," or the same for Price, are totally out to lunch.

Anyone who's ever followed the WJC process for Canada before knows that the goalie position is always completely wide open and that it is always decided at the camp. It could be any single one of those 4 guys. Team Canada is going to pick the best goalie for their team. And I guarentee you that if Price and Irving continue to let soft/weak goals in, despite solid goaltending otherwise, it won't be them.

The way I see the goaltending situation is that the team Canada is going to pick the goaltender who is calm and steady and who can make the easy saves with poise. Much like Pogge or Glass. This team has 5 retunring defenseman and should be an outstanding defensive club. You just want a goalie who can stay poised and make the saves when the opportunity arises.

Quite frankly, if Cann continues to play well, I can't see one reason why he wouldn't get chosen as either the starter or the back up. It's been quite some time since Canada has had a returning goaltender at this tournament, and if Cann makes it, he'll be eligible to return for 2 years after as well.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
the shots faced and goals allowed for each goalie in the game were as follows:

Irving 16 shots, 2 Goals allowed (including a softy)
Bernier 12 shots, 1 goal allowed (a bit of a softy also)
Price 10 shots, 1 goal allowed (a softy)
Cann 21 shots, 1 goal allowed

I dont know if u can take anything from that but those are the numbers.

Last edited:

Bryzga lol*

Quite frankly, if Cann continues to play well, I can't see one reason why he wouldn't get chosen as either the starter or the back up. It's been quite some time since Canada has had a returning goaltender at this tournament, and if Cann makes it, he'll be eligible to return for 2 years after as well.

I agree that it's nice to have a returning goaltender...but it hasn't been that long. Fleury made back-to-back apperances. And if Price isn't selected to play at the WJC, you'll have 2 goalies on the team who can return next year.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I agree that it's nice to have a returning goaltender...but it hasn't been that long. Fleury made back-to-back apperances. And if Price isn't selected to play at the WJC, you'll have 2 goalies on the team who can return next year.

Yeah... and we all know how that turned out.

X-SHARKIE

After watching the scrimage online last night - I would say Bernier. Cann, no matter how strong he has been will likely not get a shot at #1, although possibly the back up position?

Bernier's development has been tremendous this season and he's the kind of goalie who's mentally tough enough to go along with his athelticism to play well in a game where he only sees 15 shots, and games that he sees up to 45.

Back up wise - I think either Cann or Irving for their work ethic, and attitude off the ice.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
No matter how brillantly Cann might play during the camp, I can't see him making the team. He was likely brought to the camp solely for the experience in preparation for the next couple of years.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
No matter how brillantly Cann might play during the camp, I can't see him making the team. He was likely brought to the camp solely for the experience in preparation for the next couple of years.

It would be completely idiotic to cut the goaltender who performs best at camp, just because he's a year younger than the rest. It's not like Cann hasn't been under this type of pressure before, after leading Canada to the Under 18 gold last year.

I could see that sort of train of thought working if you've got 3 goaltenders who have all performed at the same level, and you want to give the spot to the older guys who are on their last chance to play for team Canada.

But you pick the best players out there, regardless of age. If Cann is clearly the best goalie at camp, you take him. If John Tavares is one of the best forwards at camp, you take him. Whatever players are going to give your squad the best chance of bringing home the gold, you select them. Age should not be a factor if said player is clearly the best.

dabobcan

Aug 2, 2005
London, Ontario
If Mason gets a fair chance to prove himself I think you guys will be quite suprised with his talent. He was picked over Trevor Cann for a reason.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

So, basically, our forward crop was only able to score 2 good goals all game! Maybe we should be more focused on them instead of the goalies.... ;)

...and, although I don't have a clue on how this goalie thing will play out... GO PRICE! :D

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
After watching the scrimage online last night - I would say Bernier. Cann, no matter how strong he has been will likely not get a shot at #1, although possibly the back up position?

Bernier's development has been tremendous this season and he's the kind of goalie who's mentally tough enough to go along with his athelticism to play well in a game where he only sees 15 shots, and games that he sees up to 45.

Back up wise - I think either Cann or Irving for their work ethic, and attitude off the ice.

I really hope so, I'm looking forward to seeing him play. Since I have never seen him play. Im just looking forward to a great turny.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002

Is it just me or in an Intrasquad Game, almost every goal are softy ???

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I didn't watch the intrasquad game last night, but as others have mentioned, the favourites haven't really stepped up. A Canadiens fan I know in Calgary mentioned that Price looked horrible in camp so far. IMO that doesn't bode well for him, especially after some people questioned his attitude at last year's camp. I hope Price starts, but from several accounts, its looking less likely.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I didn't watch the intrasquad game last night, but as others have mentioned, the favourites haven't really stepped up. A Canadiens fan I know in Calgary mentioned that Price looked horrible in camp so far. IMO that doesn't bode well for him, especially after some people questioned his attitude at last year's camp. I hope Price starts, but from several accounts, its looking less likely.
Price let in a really soft goal less than a minute into the intersquad game last night. I'm heading to the second game in a half hour, it will be interesting to see if he rebounds as I fully expected him to be the starter of this team heading into camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad