Canada's junior team selection camp roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Cariboux said:
I'm really surprised... I was sure that Martin Houle would be in that list

So I did. The guys was the MVP of the team ( Cape Breton) who was ranked number one in the CHL at the time M-A Fleury was sent back in Cape Breton by Pittsburgh. He earned the Jacques-Plante trophy and was on the first all-star team of the QMJHL.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Is the WHL really that good or is it the Sutter factor?
I choose to believe the latter as there is proof over and over again that the Q can match these guys on any given day.
Why don't they appoint the WHL as Team Canada Junior supplier?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
chsb said:
I choose to believe the latter as there is proof over and over again that the Q can match these guys on any given day.
The WHL is that good. Look at last year's team. The WHL had the most players represented. Who was the coach, Mario Durocher. Moreover, the WHL right now is far superior in developing defencemen compared to the other leagues.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
markov` said:
No Brule? :dunno:

For the last time people!!.........Brule will be at the U18 tourney this coming August!!

With a good start to the season in 04/05, Brule can still receive an invite to the December selection camp. The same goes for Latendresse or any other eligible player from 1985 to 1988.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Ice Demon said:
Shantz :bow:

Coloumbe and Syvret :eek: Since when does Hockey Canada invite players that can't even get drafted? Where are guys like Quincey and Egener?

If you are referring to Mike Egener???.....he is a 1984 born player and is no longer eligible for this tourney. If you are referring to Luke Egener, he is far too young for the summer selection process as a 1988 born.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Ice Demon said:
Where are guys like Quincey and Egener?
Yeah, I figured Quincey would atleast get an invite to the summer camp.... disappointing. :banghead:

Cariboux said:
I'm really surprised... I was sure that Martin Houle would be in that list
Houle could have been invited over Munce. Munce is nothing special.

HC also have Munce's draft status wrong on that page, he's a Kings pick.

Canadien16

Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
Yes I also agree the WHL at this point is far superior at producing defenseman. Are the NHL guys not invited to this camp? And with only one college kid on the roster, does anyone feel there could be anymore?

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
chsb said:

And where is this proof over and over again? Last year the team was mainly WHL kids and they were the top team in the tournament until the final period of the final. If the Quebec players were so much better than they would be picked, plain and simple. You can't blame coaches because many (most) teams in the past that had Quebec coaches still had a majority of WHL and OHL players.

And if I remember correctly, the last time the QMJHL had a large portion of players on the team, they bombed to 8th place and lost to Kazakhstan in 1998. I guess Quebec players isn't the answer you're looking for.

KingofSpain

Mar 5, 2002
Windsor, ON
Visit site
HabLover said:
If you are referring to Mike Egener???.....he is a 1984 born player and is no longer eligible for this tourney. If you are referring to Luke Egener, he is far too young for the summer selection process as a 1988 born.

Oops! My bad, I should have checked the birth dates. I was just so surprised by Coloumbe and Syvret's inclusion that I tossed out a couple a names from 2003 draft. Never even heard of Luke, the 88's are too far away for me, except maybe in the O.

Quincey definitely deserves to be there, he'll just have to prove them wrong during next season.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Kritty said:
And where is this proof over and over again? Last year the team was mainly WHL kids and they were the top team in the tournament until the final period of the final. If the Quebec players were so much better than they would be picked, plain and simple. You can't blame coaches because many (most) teams in the past that had Quebec coaches still had a majority of WHL and OHL players.

And if I remember correctly, the last time the QMJHL had a large portion of players on the team, they bombed to 8th place and lost to Kazakhstan in 1998. I guess Quebec players isn't the answer you're looking for.

Even with Mario Durocher as Coach, the fact and the matter is that all returnees,12 of them, are from the West except for Crosby. What could Durocher do about that?
It all starts with the younger invitees who make the team at the early stage.
I agree that the West has good defensemen, but nobody will tell me that the best goaltender in the CHL last year, Martin Houle, did not deserve an invitation!
Also, at forward positions, the Q has the most talent and I challenge anyone to prove me otherwise.If at least 4 of our forwards are not retained for the final camp, I will keep on objecting to the process.
Why this SO STACKED TEAM failed when came the finals in last multiple attempts
was because of a lack of offense IMO.
We saw which mentality prevails out West by the Mem Cup winning team.
It just does not work in International Hockey!

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
chsb said:
Even with Mario Durocher as Coach, the fact and the matter is that all returnees,12 of them, are from the West except for Crosby. What could Durocher do about that?
It all starts with the younger invitees who make the team at the early stage.
I agree that the West has good defensemen, but nobody will tell me that the best goaltender in the CHL last year, Martin Houle, did not deserve an invitation!
Also, at forward positions, the Q has the most talent and I challenge anyone to prove me otherwise.If at least 4 of our forwards are not retained for the final camp, I will keep on objecting to the process.
Why this SO STACKED TEAM failed when came the finals in last multiple attempts
was because of a lack of offense IMO.
We saw which mentality prevails out West by the Mem Cup winning team.
It just does not work in International Hockey!

I seen every Eagles game last year and I don't think Houle is one of the top 4 goalies in the CHL. Stats are not everything.

And the Czech's won numerous gold medals using that style so yes, it does work in international hockey.

Just because a guy puts up a bunch of points in the Q does not mean he's a better player then guys in other leagues with less points. Will you ever learn?

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
RyanM said:
I seen every Eagles game last year and I don't think Houle is one of the top 4 goalies in the CHL. Stats are not everything.

And the Czech's won numerous gold medals using that style so yes, it does work in international hockey.

Just because a guy puts up a bunch of points in the Q does not mean he's a better player then guys in other leagues with less points. Will you ever learn?

Just about every fan in CB would disagree with you about your statement about Houle(throw that at guys like Deer and Brec7 just for fun).
Houle has been the first star CHL team selection for 2003-2004 and was the best in the Q, including Fleury. The next in line was Crawford IMO.
Now you say that I have not seen the rest of the players perform: we witnessed them on TV nationally and what I saw was a team that desperately needed offensive punch in the final minutes of the final for two years in a row and did not get it.
Crosby has got to be there with his linemates, because they are the best offense this country got, period.Put Roussin,Bernier and Crosby together. Get a guy like Bergeron to show up, make up two offensive lines that will enjoy the big ice surface
and put the legit backstopper that the Q got out there and bring the best of the other Leagues and we wll succeed. To pass over such talent in favor of an 80% Western flavor in the soup does not bode well with me.
The best that the WHL got to offer is an Alcatraz defense and I like it.Plus they got some good guys out there, but we got to cleansweep some returnees and start with a fresh slate of players.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
chsb said:

What are you talking about?
Returnees NOT from the WHL:
Jeff Carter
Sidney Crosby
Stephen Dixon
Mike Richards
Anthony Stewart

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
MikeC44 said:
What are you talking about?
Returnees NOT from the WHL:
Jeff Carter
Sidney Crosby
Stephen Dixon
Mike Richards
Anthony Stewart

So 2 from the Q,3 from OHL, 7 from the West!
Does that make my statement wrong? I don't think so! They still lost and something has to be done about it, and they still lost the year before in the crunch moments with key players being whom you know.
So the whole matter of their philosophy of selection should be up for grab.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CHSB stop argueing over useless stuff

You have never seen any players outside of Bathurst anyway.

The WHL does produce good players and most from the dub that were invited are good choices.

Who else would you have invited from the Q?

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
CHSB stop argueing over useless stuff

You have never seen any players outside of Bathurst anyway.

The WHL does produce good players and most from the dub that were invited are good choices.

Who else would you have invited from the Q?

Martin Houle!

And it is not about the invitees ; it is all about the final selection.
In any case we will see at that time.
Have you seen the WHL players more than I did?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
chsb said:
Martin Houle!

And it is not about the invitees ; it is all about the final selection.
In any case we will see at that time.
Have you seen the WHL players more than I did?

Yeah actually i have. And CHSB Houle would get lit up in the world juniors.

There is no one glaring that Hockey Canada let off from the Q.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Yeah actually i have. And CHSB Houle would get lit up in the world juniors.

There is no one glaring that Hockey Canada let off from the Q.

OK, You mean to tell us that you MIGHT have seen WHL players ONE MORE TIME than us from the Q!
Does that make you an expert?

Why is somebody glaringly being the first star team selected goaltender of the CHL not being glaringly noticed by you is beyond my comprehension?

This guy has been the most consistent goaltender in CB in the last two years, outplaying Fleury on multiple occasions.

It is time to reestablish the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad