Canada's goaltending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Don't get me wrong, even though Canada does't have the big name netminder they have had in years past, there are probably 8 goalies that could start this year and win the top goalie award with a strong tournament.

But now it's down to four.

Glass
Dubnyk
Beauchemin
Nastiuk

All are very strong goalies, but who do you guys think will take the bull by the horns and emerge as the starter come the medal round?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/Sports/2004/12/11/777248.html

denphis

i think it will be dubnyk and glass
reasons:
dubnyk - has played for canada in the u18 and impressed, because all of the goalies are close to equal, i think this alone will get him on the team.

glass - is having the best season of the four so far.

who do i think will be the starter?
i think they play both and then ride the hot goaltender through the play-off games

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Dubnyk is the only one who can come back next year, so I figure he should be on the team, regardless.

Who gets the starting job... I have no clue. For the sake of sheer homerism I'm going to say Beauchemin (tho' Glass has opened my eyes a lot this season). I still don't trust Nastiuk, but I have nothing to base that on whatsoever.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Beauchemin and Glass...

unless Dubnyk stands on his head at camp

i'm happy with our goaltending.. sure we dont have a marek schwarz but i think they'll be solid.. kinda like when we had Lenevue and Fleury split the job

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
I cant say that ive seen any of the goaltender invites play, but i wish that they woulda selected one of either jason churchill, or martin houle. Being from the east coast ive seen them both alot and have been impressed with both, especially this year. Anyone have any opinions on how Churchill and Houle woulda compared to the 4 in camp? :dunno:

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
This group doesn't even compete with the invitees of the past 2 years... I'd have taken Harding, LeNeveu, Ward, Deslauriers and Daigneault over any of these 4 goalies.

Since there is no clearcut starter, they should simply choose the best two goalies RIGHT NOW, and not worry about ages or past experience. I believe that would be Glass and Nastiuk.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
In games last night, from the highlights I saw - Nastiuk was very weak in Medicine Hat's loss to the woeful Moose Jaw Warriors, but Beauchemin was awesome in P.A.'s win over Calgary. In one particular play, Beauchemin absolutely robbed Ryan Getzlaf from point-blank range.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
saskhab said:
This group doesn't even compete with the invitees of the past 2 years... I'd have taken Harding, LeNeveu, Ward, Deslauriers and Daigneault over any of these 4 goalies.

Since there is no clearcut starter, they should simply choose the best two goalies RIGHT NOW, and not worry about ages or past experience. I believe that would be Glass and Nastiuk.

Exactly, they should ride the hot goalies

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
goteam said:
In games last night, from the highlights I saw - Nastiuk was very weak in Medicine Hat's loss to the woeful Moose Jaw Warriors, but Beauchemin was awesome in P.A.'s win over Calgary. In one particular play, Beauchemin absolutely robbed Ryan Getzlaf from point-blank range.
Good for Beauch. He's my fav of the bunch, probably because I've seen him play the most. It was particularily good for him since he was quite average the previous game against the Blades. Good to see a nice bounceback.

As for Nastiuk... I saw that score and was stunned. Everyone on Medicine Hat must've thought they'd win just by getting dressed for the game. I could understand a 1-0, 2-0, or 2-1 loss to the Warriors, but 5-3? That shouldn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad