Canada's 04-05 WJC Team = Best WJC Team Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Is the 04-05 team that Canada fielded this year the best Canadian WJC team ever?

How does it compare to the early Canadian WJC teams of the 80's, 90's? Is it better than the team of the late 80's with guys like Gretzky and Bourque? Is it better than the teams of the late 90's with Lindros and Daigle? Is it better than the teams of the past 10 years with guys like Thornton and Lecavalier?

Also...

Is it the best WJC team ever?

Better than the 94 team with Forsberg and Naslund?
Better than the 90 team with Mogilny, Bure and Fedorov?
Better than the early Czech teams with Jagr and Nedved?

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
Yes! No doubt at all that they are the best Canadian world junior team ever.

They dominated every single game they played, from pre-tourny, to round-robin, to the playoff round, they just dominated every single team they faced. Canada's "worst" game was a 3-1 win over the Czech's, and that game was only close because of the Czech goalie, Canada badly outshot the Czech's. Canada never trailed a game at any point in this Tournament. They allowed just 1 even-strenght goal, just 7 total goals!. The team was stacked with 1985's (19 year olds), many players probably would have been in the NHL if not for the lockout (Bergeron, Carter, Getzlaf, Phaneuf, etc).

Easily the best.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I'd say this is the best entry ever. Without the NHL, we have several key players who would no doubt be here in Phaneuf, Carter, and Bergeron as well as possibly Getzlaf and maybe a few others. They breezed by the competition and were never challenged. Hopefully, we can make it two in a row next year although it will be tough.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Andrew_11 said:
I'd say this is the best entry ever. Without the NHL, we have several key players who would no doubt be here in Phaneuf, Carter, and Bergeron as well as possibly Getzlaf and maybe a few others. They breezed by the competition and were never challenged. Hopefully, we can make it two in a row next year although it will be tough.

I'm willing to bet that the lockout granted Team Canada the following players:

Ryan Getzlaf
Patrice Bergeron
Jeff Carter
Dion Phaneuf
Mike Richards

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Aaron Vickers said:
I'm willing to bet that the lockout granted Team Canada the following players:

Ryan Getzlaf
Patrice Bergeron
Jeff Carter
Dion Phaneuf
Mike Richards

I don't think both Carter and Richards could have made the center-filled Philly Flyers? They had Roenick, Zhamnov, Handzus, Primeau and Sharp on their roster. Four capable #1-2 line centers.
Even if they lost Zhamnov, Roenick would be the #1, Handzus #2 and Primeau basically taking up #3 and #4 line times.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Is the 04-05 team that Canada fielded this year the best Canadian WJC team ever?

How does it compare to the early Canadian WJC teams of the 80's, 90's? Is it better than the team of the late 80's with guys like Gretzky and Bourque? Is it better than the teams of the late 90's with Lindros and Daigle? Is it better than the teams of the past 10 years with guys like Thornton and Lecavalier?

Also...

Is it the best WJC team ever?

Better than the 94 team with Forsberg and Naslund?
Better than the 90 team with Mogilny, Bure and Fedorov?
Better than the early Czech teams with Jagr and Nedved?

How could they possibly be as good as Gretzky's BRONZE medal team? :dunno:

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Sparepart said:
Yes! No doubt at all that they are the best Canadian world junior team ever.

They dominated every single game they played, from pre-tourny, to round-robin, to the playoff round, they just dominated every single team they faced. Canada's "worst" game was a 3-1 win over the Czech's, and that game was only close because of the Czech goalie, Canada badly outshot the Czech's. Canada never trailed a game at any point in this Tournament. They allowed just 1 even-strenght goal, just 7 total goals!. The team was stacked with 1985's (19 year olds), many players probably would have been in the NHL if not for the lockout (Bergeron, Carter, Getzlaf, Phaneuf, etc).

Easily the best.

:yo: :handclap:

Great to watch - every single one of them.

Feb 24, 2004
41-7. Goals in this tourny, which is absolutely remarkable.

Last even strength goal given up?

Slovakia game, number 1.

They went the last 5 games without giving up a goal. Absolute beasts.

Check back in 10 years to see how good most of these guys became.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
I don't think both Carter and Richards could have made the center-filled Philly Flyers? They had Roenick, Zhamnov, Handzus, Primeau and Sharp on their roster. Four capable #1-2 line centers.
Even if they lost Zhamnov, Roenick would be the #1, Handzus #2 and Primeau basically taking up #3 and #4 line times.
When Clarke was interviewed during the Sweden game he said that the Flyers were planning on starting the season with Carter and Richards in the lineup.

That doesn't mean that they'd last the year but they would have had a shot at it.

IMO this was the best team Canada ever but we have always had a few eligible guys up in the nhl so it's not necssarily the best group of 19 yr olds we've had. Who knows what some of the previous teams would have looked like if not for the guys lost to the nhl.

Dion Mustard*

Well, time will tell, but I say the 1995 team was better. Every single player on that team played atleast 3 games in the NHL. They certainly allowed more goals (22) but they scored more (49).

The '95 team didn't dominate as much as this years team, so I gotta give this team some props. So on a team level, 2005 gets it. On a individual level, 1995 gets it.

Human Megaphone

Nov 24, 2003
Ottawa
Oi'll say! said:
When Clarke was interviewed during the Sweden game he said that the Flyers were planning on starting the season with Carter and Richards in the lineup.

That doesn't mean that they'd last the year but they would have had a shot at it.

Plus they don't have to be in the NHL to not play in the WJC. If you take that criteria guys like Weber, Coburn, Stewart maybe even Dixon could be added to the no play list.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Simply rolled over everyone including a strong Russian team, no doubt in my mind that the lockout made this the best canadian team ever and probably the best team regardless of nationality in the tournament's history.

The fact they did this without an all-star goaltender emphasizes the team's depth on defence and power on offence. Every opponent was horribly outshot.

Funny how everyone who were so busy bashing Sutter for having so many players from the WHL are awfully quiet now.

It seems to me that many of the traditionally strong teams were quite a bit weaker this time around. The Swedes and Finns were noticeably than their past entries in the tourney, and while Canada didn't play the Czechs or Americans I don't think they were as strong as they have been in the past. The Russians were the only other team that measured up to past entries in the tourney.

Not to take anything away from the Canadian team, but I think that explains some of the dominance this year. Canada is on and upswing in terms of young talent while other countries (most notably Sweden) are in a downswing.

I believe the 1995 team was stronger. Although I think the defence corps from this year is by far the best ever in the tournament. No exceptions.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
leafs4thecup said:
41-7. Goals in this tourny, which is absolutely remarkable.

Last even strength goal given up?

Slovakia game, number 1.

They went the last 5 games without giving up a goal. Absolute beasts.

Check back in 10 years to see how good most of these guys became.

i think you meant they went the last 5 games without giving up a even stregnth goal. even that is amazing. props to Team Canada. even thou i never saw them play everything i read about them. wow :bow:
btw ESPN all i have for you is :madfire: :madfire: :madfire:

Crossroads*

I say Brent Sutter played a huge role in how well the team played. He looks to be always intense with his players and demands the best. His coaching style was perfect for this short tournament. If he never kept team Canada on their toes all the time the goals against would've been much higher.

The picking of Jeff Glass was also a tactically smart move by Sutter. Most goalies go cold in games where the have hardly any shots against but Sutter knew Jeff Glass plays well under minimal-action games (Glass plays in the WHL).

Sutter is almost a genius :) Great coach.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
I think the 94 Canada team would have given this team a run... the problem is this tournament was incredibly weak... just like last year.

Not a single standout goaltender... I can't remember another WJC like that before. In fact, goaltending in this tournament was rather brutal, with several goalies having lacklustre games.

This was a good Canadian team, but there wasn't much competetion. Russia had Ovechkin and Malkin and a solid top 6, but their defense and goaltending was sketchy at best.

Same with the US... some good firepower up front, but some terrible play by some of the defense, and subpar goaltending.

The Czech's had Olesz, and Schwarz (who had a couple of good games in the medal round).

Finland and Sweden were major disappointments.

And not just in games against Canada either... but against each other. The Fin-Swede game was simply horrible hockey. The Czech's-Finland game was brutal for 2 periods as well. What is usually pretty good hockey was sloppy and mistake prone.

This was a great Canadian team in a lousy tournament... best ever? I dunno... the competetion wasn't good enough to judge.

The only difference between this years team and last years was a hot and cold goalie in the final game...this year the cold goalie was on the other team.

espo*

Yes they are i think.I've never seen a team dominate so thoroughly as this one,especially on defense.Best team defense i've ever seen at this tourney by any team from anywhere.They did'nt even let in one even strentgh goal from the third period of the first game.....unbelievable!! And four super strong lines with great star power.Best Canadian team ever? How about best team ever at this tourney?........that's the real debate here and my money goes on them.Never seen so much dominance.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Where are all the naysayers who said this was a crap team because it was basically all westerners and that burns and horton weren't elected to the training camp???

This is byfar the best WJC team for Canada... 41-7 (GF:GA).. complete domination of puck control and scoring chances.. heck the Russians were the most deadly offensive opponents and they didn't even get that many quality scoring chances (or shots either)

And to the posters who thought the selection of Team Canada would divide the country? well.. did it?

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Crossroads said:
I say Brent Sutter played a huge role in how well the team played. He looks to be always intense with his players and demands the best. His coaching style was perfect for this short tournament. If he never kept team Canada on their toes all the time the goals against would've been much higher.

The picking of Jeff Glass was also a tactically smart move by Sutter. Most goalies go cold in games where the have hardly any shots against but Sutter knew Jeff Glass plays well under minimal-action games (Glass plays in the WHL).

Sutter is almost a genius :) Great coach.

I agree, Sutter was an amazing coach. I don't and never did criticize any of his decisions. His tactical decisions throughout and especially in the finals when they had to stop Ovechkin and Malkin were excellent. I also admired his decisions about captaincy. Richards was an awesome captain :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->