CANADA WORLD CUP ROSTER....ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ginner said:
Noted on Langenbrunner.....but Knuble was born in Canada....was not aware he played for Team USA. Another Deadmarsh/Hull I guess.

Yeah, Knuble was born in Toronto, but raised in the U.S., played college hockey, and has represented the U.S. internationally.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
BruinsGirl said:
Just shows how biased Canucks fans can be... What how is Bertuzzi deserves to play and Thornton not? Bad playoffs? I didn't know Bertuzzi was any better. :shakehead

Hey take it easy on the generalizations....I am a canuck fan and have Thornton ranked #1 or #1A

Burnaby_Joe*

Kariya Sakic Iginla
Tanguay Thornton Bertuzzi
Gagne Marleau St.Louis
Smyth Madden Heatley

Niedermayer Foote
Jovanovski Blake
Pronger Redden

Brodeur
Belfour
Luongo

Too hard to choose. I know I'll be switching up my lines later. :dunno:

Vic Rattlehead*

Is it fair to say that we have too much talent to predict who will exactly be on the roster? :lol

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Goalies:
M. Brodeur
R. Luongo
J. Theodore

Defense:
C. Pronger
E. Jovanovksi
R. Blake
W. Redden
E. Brewer
S. Niedermayer
S. Souray
S. Stevens IF he's healthy (if he's not, then J. Smith)

the problem with that defensive grouping, is its a little softer than usual without S. Stevens or A. Foote on there, if Stevens injury heals Id think he'd be put in there; if not then they may look for some extra mean streak in a similar player, (J. Smith maybe? or D. Phaneuf :yo: )

Forward:
P. Kariya-J.Sakic-J.Iginla
R.Nash-J.Thornton-D.Heatley
B.Morrow-K.Draper-K.Maltby
R.Smyth-P.Marleau-M.St. Louis
Extras: B.Shanahan-S.Doan-S.Sullivan

THE LEMIUEX RULE: If he's healthy, he's in the line-up.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Footemeister said:
Kariya Sakic Iginla
Tanguay Thornton Bertuzzi
Gagne Marleau St.Louis
Smyth Madden Heatley

Niedermayer Foote
Jovanovski Blake
Pronger Redden

Brodeur
Belfour
Luongo

Too hard to choose. I know I'll be switching up my lines later. :dunno:

Maybe accurate in terms of depth but if I had to build the ultiate team NHl style I think I would have the following:

Kariya Sakic Iginla
Bertuzzi Thornton Heatley
Smyth Primeau St Louis
Morrow Madden Draper

(Morrison)

Pronger Blake
Niedermayer Foote
Redden Jovo

(Aucoin)

Brodeur
Luongo
Theodore

I pick Morrison as my backup forward as Draper can be shifted to the wing and Morrison can step in on a checking or scoring line, something many of the other Canadian players outside of St Louis, Smyth and Morrow cannot do.

I pick Aucoin as he is a solid two-way player and his speed is a non-issue on NHL ice. He is also a right-handed shot and could spot injuries on both sides of the D (Jovo shifted to the left side in case of an ijury to a lhs, with Aucoin drawing in on the right). I put Bertuzzi on the left as there is too much quality on the right side and he plays both spots equally well. I just cannot stomach the idea of Tanguay making it and Bert not. Bertuzzi brings so much more to the table. If I had a chance to pick a second spare forward it would be Tanguay who can play left wing and centre.

Nic

Apr 30, 2004
Forwards:
Smyth-Sakic-Iginla
Tanguay-Lemieux(if healthy)-Heatley
Stillman-Primeau-St-louis
Kariya-Marleau-Doan (if healthy)
Spares: Thornton, Briere

I'm not sure about the lines, but these are the players I would pick to be on the WC team. I would possible replace Kariya with Nash or Gagne, since Kariya did not have a very good year, although if he is healthy he will probably be a lock since he played well in SLC and is well liked by management. I somewhat doubt Lemieux will be healthy, in which case expect Richards or maybe even Spezza (to fulfill the youth requirement) to step in. I would keep Briere as a spare since he played well in this years world championship and looked especially good playing with Heatley. Personally I would not have Bertuzzi on the team since he has a serious temper management problem and I could see him taking stupid penalities at bad times (and he didn't play well in the 2002-03 playoffs). Thornton looked awful in this years playoffs (I know he was injured), so I would lean towards not picking him, or making him a spare. As for the checking line centre, you want somebody who can shut down the Forsbergs and Kovalchuks and even contribute a bit of offense. Peca hasn't been the same since the Tucker hit, so I am inclined to choose Primeau, although Madden, Draper, Walz or even Steve Rucchin should be considered for that job. Stillman (25 G/ 55A, +18, 6GWG) hasn't gotten much consideration at all, but he plays smart disciplined hockey, and would be great on the point of the PP.

Defense: Pronger- Niedermayer
Blake- Foote
Redden- Aucoin
Spares: Brewer, Jovanovski

Aucoin is just as good as any of the other defensemen, but plays on the island, so he doesn't get much press over here. Jovanovski takes stupid penalties (see the Calgary-Vancouver game 7 this year to see what I mean), but has a great upside. Redden is dependable. Personally, I think Foote is overrated and not as reliable as everybody thinks, but he will probably get the nod due to experience. Stuart, and Regehr should both get consideration, and Scott Hannan on San Jose looked fantastic shutting down the Colorado Avalance snipers in that series in the playoffs, so he may be a darkhorse.

Goalies: Brodeur, Luongo, Theodore, possibly Belfour.

Canada has fantastic depth at this position, which is definately a good thing....

Feedback is welcomed

Brett38

Feb 25, 2004
I think two guys who should get considerable consideration would be Draper and Primeau. I think I would drop Peca for any one of these two guys. Don't rule out Yzerman either. I realize he is pushing 40, but it seems that Gretzky is still really high on this guy. He can still play and another great guy in the room. I look at it like this:

Lemeiux
Sakic
Iginla
Kariya
Heatly
Thornton
Yzerman
Smyth
Primeau
Nash
Bertuzzi...maybe
Marleau
---------------
Draper
Doan

Neidermyer
Blake
Pronger
Redden
Jovanoski
Foote
---------
Brewer
Aucoin
Boumeester(sp)

Brodeur
Luongo
Belfore/Theodore
McCabe

OpinionatedMike

Nov 10, 2002
Visit site
Regardless of my personal opinion. This is what I feel the team will look like, although lines will change, obviously.

Heatley - Sakic - Iginla
Nash - Lemuiex - Bertuzzi
St.Louis - Thorton - Marleau
Madden - Primeau - Draper
(Hell, anyone could be an extra, Smyth, Lecavailer, Kayria)

Niedermayer - Pronger
Blake - Foote
McCabe - Jovonovski
(Redden)

Brodeur
Belfour
Luongo

Now, personally, Scott Hannan has to win a cup and be MVP to get on this team, I love the guy, but that's just the way it'll be. You won't see Peca, that's for sure. For the 2nd (3rd) goalie, it'll be Eddie of Jose. You won't see J.S. or anyone else get the nod, it's a 4 horse race.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
BruinsGirl said:
Just shows how biased Canucks fans can be... What how is Bertuzzi deserves to play and Thornton not? Bad playoffs? I didn't know Bertuzzi was any better. :shakehead

It has nothing to do with Thornton's considerable talents, and everything to do with the mix of players Team Canada. A highly skilled center like Lecavalier will have much more success with the likes of Recchi, Nash and Bertuzzi on the wings, and also has a better shot than Thornton, which is rather important as neither Lemieux or Primeau are noted snipers, and Sakic's goalscoring ability has gone down a notch or two over the last few years.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Kariya-Sakic-Lemieux
Bertuzzi-Thornton-Iginla
Tanguay-Lecavalier-Heatley
Smyth-Primeau-St. Louis

extras: Doan, Nash, Draper

Pronger
Blake
Niedermayer
Redden
Jovo
Foote

extras: Stuart, other (doesn't really matter)

Brodeur
Luongo
Theodore

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
St.Louis
Nash
Sakic
Bertuzzi
Kariya
Thornton
Murray
Primeau
Lecavailer
Heatly
Iginla
Smyth
------
Doan
Tangauy

Lemieux if healthy of course

Jovanovski
Niedermeyer
Bouwmeester
Pronger
Blake
Aucoin
-----
Redden
Foote

S.Steven if he is healthy

Brodeur
Luongo
Turco

RoyIsALegend*

Kariya - Sakic - Iginla
Tanguay - Lemieux - Bertuzzi
Nash - Thornton - Heatley
Smyth - Primeau - St. Louis
Marleau, Peca

Pronger - Blake
Niedermayer - Jovanovski
Redden - Foote
Hannan

Brodeur
Luongo
Turco

This team would own.

Karl Pilkington

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
www.canadiens.com
RoyIsALegend said:
Kariya - Sakic - Iginla
Tanguay - Lemieux - Bertuzzi
Nash - Thornton - Heatley
Smyth - Primeau - St. Louis
Marleau, Peca

Pronger - Blake
Niedermayer - Jovanovski
Redden - Foote
Hannan

Brodeur
Luongo
Turco

This team would own.

Not that he would be playing.. but minus Turco, it would. I think the goalie team will be the same as the East All-Star team.. then again, I can see Belfour getting a spot on the team ahead of Theodore.

I don't think Peca should or will make the team.. Canada has so many good forwards it will be hard to choose just 16.. Heatley had 9 goals at the worlds so he'll definitely play a big role on the team and I noticed a couple people left Thorton off the roster for some reason.. he didn't play well in the playoffs but lets keep in mind his rib cartilege was torn apart.. :teach:

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
Tanguay - Sakic - Iginla
Nash - Lecavalier - St. Louis
Heatley Lemieux - Bertuzzi
Smyth - Thornton - Doan
Primeau?

About cooke, i can see him being a sleeper pick. Remember when gretzky was scouting game 7 canucks vs flames, and cooke had a memorable game, plus he's a relentless player, who's agitating, plays defense well, chips in on the offence, theres nothing not to like except for maybe better players. He also had a superb gold medal game sunday too i just remembered. who knows.....

Neids
Pronger
Blake
Jovo
Redden
Regehr?
Foote

Brodeur
Luongo
Belfour

Last edited:
Status