Canada wants to limit Americans playing in the CHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Did anyone else read this Damien Cox article over on ESPN.com today? It's about Hockey Canada "thinking" about limiting the number of Americans playing in the CHL.

IMO, I think it would be bad for the CHL from the perspective that there are some very talented Americans such as Robbie Schremp and Matt Lashoff that the CHL would miss out on should they decide to make and impose the change. The CHL (I would assume) wants to get their hands on the very best players out there, regardless of where they come from, making it not only a prestigious developmental league for the NHL but also the level of competition would remain at its highest.

Anyone else have an opinion on this article?

Funkymoses

Lionel Hutz said:
I may be missing something in the article, but I don't see the point of limiting US players without limiting europeans as well.

The article says that the proposal is to limit teams to one euro and one american.

My immediate thought was the same as yours, Epsilon: there's no way that'll stand up to legal challenges. They would have to at least let the US franchises have unlimited US players (and thus a competitive advantage) or withdraw entirely, which I figure has exactly zero chance of happening.

I figure it's just a bunch of hot air. It will never happen.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Also, to the best of my knowledge, Hockey Canada has no real jurisdiction over the CHL. The CHL owners can tell Bob Nicholson to piss off and there's nothing he can do about it. And I imagine most of them, particularly any American owners and any owners who depend on American and/or European players as core members of their teams, would do just that.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
This was something discussed quite heavily six years ago, during the 'Summit' in which everybody believed we were going through a hockey crisis - more like bad luck.

This is old news - I guess Cox just figured it out now.

In a way I'd support this action because our superior developmental leagues are developing other countries' talent at the expense of our own. Nobody is going to miss a Robbie Schremp or Matt Lashoff when there are just as many talented (but perhaps because of one chip on their shoulder) players that don't get a shot, waiting in the wings.

I wouldn't underestimate the pull of Hockey Canada either. The CHL can't exactly tell them to **** off whenever they want.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
BigE said:
In a way I'd support this action because our superior developmental leagues are developing other countries' talent at the expense of our own. Nobody is going to miss a Robbie Schremp or Matt Lashoff when there are just as many talented (but perhaps because of one chip on their shoulder) players that don't get a shot, waiting in the wings.

:lol: :lol :shakehead

You don't seriously believe that do you? Who are these guys "waiting in the wings" in junior B that are just as talented as guys like Schremp, O'Sullivan, Lashoff, Meszaros, Schwarz, and all the other foreigners playing in the CHL?

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
fine with me -- but since the NHL is almost all american teams these days, retribution would be due :) two can play at that game

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It'd be an awful move. I assume the rule would apply to the American teams which would make the us talent pool near exclusive to them.

But I'm a college fans so capitilizing off of another's stupidity would be a boon.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Kevin Forbes said:
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the QMJHL has a limit of 2 Europeans per team. Just for reference.

The same rule applies for the other 2 CHL leagues currently. The artical is about a proposal to alter that rule.

nucks2win

Jul 20, 2003
Edmonton
Makes no sense - lets get the best NA players into Junior A. Besides, nobody seems to complain when some Canadian kid gets a US scholarship. I believe there is a 2 player limit on Europeans already in all 3 leagues, but I may be wrong.

Anybody know what team has the most US players on it now, and how many?

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
this has been on and off again, and it has some interest from the CHL Commisioner. It last came up middle of 2004 and very little people like it. It would go a lot further, limiting the number of 16 years old in the CHL and forcing them to play a level lower to "protect them and help them develop more". Its complete BS, and if Branch does ever dare to implement it it'll be pure hell for everyone, including Branch.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
BigE said:
This In a way I'd support this action because our superior developmental leagues are developing other countries' talent at the expense of our own.

I tend to agree. Canada is stealing way too many of our top Div 1 US NCAA scholarships. Taking the further education of our youth away. Not to mention stealing from our NCAA talent pool only to help line the pockets of CHL team owners. Lets just lock down all the borders for good. :rant:

Limiting players based on nationality for false reasons is just plain garbage. I wish people would just let the kids play where they want. For each it's their choice if they have the talent. If there were a better Canadian player available, do you think they would import players at all?

I wonder if the timing of this article is to stir the pot following the WJC gold Canada just won. It demeans the sport if that was the authors purpose. :shakehead

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In my opinion I dont think that the Americans should be the ones limited to playing in the CHL. Why? I say for this reason there's teams like Plymouth, Erie, Seattle etc. which are all American franchises. Most Americans play College Hockey anyways so its not a big deal for the CHL. Put it this way Americans like Lafontaine, Modano, Berard, Legwand all played in the CHL. While Nieuwendyk, Kariya, and etc. played US College so it goes both ways.

My problem isnt the Americans, its the Europeans. The Czechs and the Slovaks especially. I have a lot of beef with a Pavel Brendl coming into our league and we teach him how to play the game properly, taking a spot away from a 16 year old Canadian kid. I felt this way especially in the last few years of Junior Hockey. They should all stay in their countries to develop and then if they can make the NHL then go for it. It hasnt hurt as much since we beat the tar out of every country we played in this last WJC but what if we lose again to the Czech team that has half of their guys in the CHL? Shouldnt we concentrate on our own first?

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
em1ss said:
I tend to agree. Canada is stealing way too many of our top Div 1 US NCAA scholarships. Taking the further education of our youth away. Not to mention stealing from our NCAA talent pool only to help line the pockets of CHL team owners. Lets just lock down all the borders for good. :rant:

Limiting players based on nationality for false reasons is just plain garbage. I wish people would just let the kids play where they want. For each it's their choice if they have the talent. If there were a better Canadian player available, do you think they would import players at all?

I wonder if the timing of this article is to stir the pot following the WJC gold Canada just won. It demeans the sport if that was the authors purpose. :shakehead

For the record, CHL Players get KILLER scholarships these days.

BCCHL inactive

To my knowledge, American-based CHL teams would be exempt to this proposed ruling.

Anyway, I think it is a move that makes no sense. I really have nothing else to say about the issue.

leafaholix*

Fine by me.

Would it be a great idea... not really sure. But I don't see it having that big of an impact in the CHL. Atleast in the OHL it wouldn't seem to have that big of an impact, there's a total of 8 Americans in the top 100 in scoring.

Including 2 goalies (of 32).

Reilly311

I think the NCAA should limit the number of canadians to 0.

HiLite

Jan 6, 2005
Funkymoses said:
My immediate thought was the same as yours, Epsilon: there's no way that'll stand up to legal challenges.

Actually it probably would stand up to a legal challenge. I don't necassarily agree, however, the CFL limits the number of Americans per team, so there is precedent for leagues taking this sort of action.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
So stupid. The CHL is asking for trouble if they give up all those American prospects to the NCAA. Hopefully someday the NCAA will expand its scouting into europe. Then, the CHL would have a good fight on their hands

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
futurcorerock said:
So stupid. The CHL is asking for trouble if they give up all those American prospects to the NCAA. Hopefully someday the NCAA will expand its scouting into europe. Then, the CHL would have a good fight on their hands
The NCAA does get some european talent. the biggest right now is Vanek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->