Canada wants to host WJC every 3 years. Good/bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
How many times has Canada hosted the World Championships ???

But that didn't stop them from winning it the last 2 years.

World Jr. is fine as is; Canada hosts every 4-5 years.

I'd like to see the Sr. Worlds the same.

It's hard staying up to see Canada win Gold at 4 AM our time.

Mountain Dude

Every 3 years is probably too often, maybe 3 years, than 4, than 3, than 4 kinda thing.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Canada should shut up. They don't own the sport like they think. There is no benifit to having it in Canada all the time.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Another of those tournaments (Olympics, World Cup) that Russia never wins anymore.

:p:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Mountain Dude said:
Every 3 years is probably too often, maybe 3 years, than 4, than 3, than 4 kinda thing.

Why should it be 4? I say it should be once every 10 years.

year 1 : Czech
2 : Finland
3 : Canada
4 : USA
5 : Russia
6 : sweden
7 : Slovakia
8 : Switzerland
9 : Germany
10 : some other country to promote ice hockey like Austria

But of course, if I were Canadian I would be biased and I would say something like I WANT ALL TEH TOURNAMENTS TO TAKE PLACE IN CANADA SO DAT I DON'T HAVE TO STAY UP LATE OR GET UP EARLY TO SEE A GAME AND SO THAT I CAN GO TO SEE THE GAMES AT THE ARENA IN MY HOMETOWN ... SCREW THE REST OF THE WORLD! :mad:

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
I don't think this tournament was started so that the IIHF could make lots of money. If, as people here have said, the first time the tournament made a profit was in 1991, then they certainly haven't been very successful in acheiving a monetary goal.

However, that does seem to be part of the agenda now, otherwise Canada wouldn't be hosting the tournament every 4 years since then. The fact is that Canadians will fill the seats where other countries won't and the IIHF sees that as a boon to them not only from the money gained, but from the prestige the tournament receives here.

All things being factored in, I would say that Canada should host it every 3 years, but should co-host it with the US every three tournaments that it is held here in places like Detroit/Windsor along the border. Maybe some European hosts should share the tournament as well because until they start supporting the tournament with full arenas, the IIHF will continue to give this tournament to Canada.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Every 4 years is ok.

Just one quick comment: wilka91, you must be kidding using yesterday game as an example how the crowd give Canada an unfair advantage? RIGHT? This team was plain and simple the best team out there and would the tournament have been play in China or Siberia for that matters, they would have won.

Next year gonna be a better tournament to watch as i'll confessed i got bored some times watching "8-0" hockey every game...

leafaholix*

Interesting information, in 1999 the tournament was held in Winnipeg, the Swedish team averaged 7,286 fans a game... second most in the tournament.

In 2001 (Russia), the average attendance for the Russian team was around 5,000.

In 2002 (Czech), the average attendance for the Czech team was around 6,000.

In 2004 (Finland), the highest attendance mark in the entire tournament was about 7,500.

In 2003 (Halifax), 5 countries averaged atleast 10,000.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
zenator1 said:
Another of those tournaments (Olympics, World Cup) that Russia never wins anymore.

:p:

The World Cup ... lol ... very funny. What does the word "World" stand for?

And the Olympics? Yeah sure, you did win it ... did any other team ever get to face Belarus in a semifinal game?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
wilka91 said:
I WANT ALL TEH TOURNAMENTS TO TAKE PLACE IN CANADA SO DAT I DON'T HAVE TO STAY UP LATE OR GET UP EARLY TO SEE A GAME AND SO THAT I CAN GO TO SEE THE GAMES AT THE ARENA IN MY HOMETOWN ... SCREW THE REST OF THE WORLD! :mad:

Pretty sure the rest of the hockey nations are doing a pretty good job of screwing themselves! (regarding this tournament)
When was the last time a nation other than Canada has turned a profit? These tournaments usually (maybe always?) lose millions when they aren't held in Canada.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Anksun said:
Just one quick comment: wilka91, you must be kidding using yesterday game as an example how the crowd give Canada an unfair advantage? RIGHT? This team was plain and simple the best team out there and would the tournament have been play in China or Siberia for that matters, they would have won.

Man of course I knew from the beginning that Canada was going to win this tourney no matter what because this team was just exceptional and we all share this view. But still, if Canada faces any team on US soil except the USA of course, they'll be like home (especially in Minnesota).

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Boomhower said:
Pretty sure the rest of the hockey nations are doing a pretty good job of screwing themselves! (regarding this tournament)
When was the last time a nation other than Canada has turned a profit? These tournaments usually (always?) lose millions when they aren't held in Canada.
Yeah whatever ... another unbiased north american has spoken.

I'm telling you, hockey in Canada is like the NHL, it's all about the money. Nobody even really cares about the game, but just the BUCKS!!! $$$

The NHL (especially right now) and the WOrld Cup are great examples.

Mountain Dude

wilka91 said:
Why should it be 4? I say it should be once every 10 years.

year 1 : Czech
2 : Finland
3 : Canada
4 : USA
5 : Russia
6 : sweden
7 : Slovakia
8 : Switzerland
9 : Germany
10 : some other country to promote ice hockey like Austria

But of course, if I were Canadian I would be biased and I would say something like I WANT ALL TEH TOURNAMENTS TO TAKE PLACE IN CANADA SO DAT I DON'T HAVE TO STAY UP LATE OR GET UP EARLY TO SEE A GAME AND SO THAT I CAN GO TO SEE THE GAMES AT THE ARENA IN MY HOMETOWN ... SCREW THE REST OF THE WORLD! :mad:

Yeah, thats probably true actually, I just think it would be cool to have in Canada more, but thats only because I'm Canadian.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Mountain Dude said:
Yeah, thats probably true actually, I just think it would be cool to have in Canada more, but thats only because I'm Canadian.

Finally!!!

To be honest I live in France now and I want all the tournaments to take place in France ... this is ridiculou, just like the idea of having a tourney in Canada every year, or 2 or 3 or 4.

AgentNaslund*

It is proven that its alot more successful here then anywhere else. Should they even ask? Every 3 years is a no brainer.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Boomhower said:
Just giving you the facts, if you plead ignorance, that's your choice.

What you just said ... it's kinda stupid.

You know you're a biased Canadian so ... I would like to hear the opinion of some fans from other countries, and I know they would all disagree. ;)

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
wilka91 said:
What you just said ... it's kinda stupid.
If someone that has your knowledge of finances ran this tournament it would be extinct, you see the IIHF doesn't have some license to print however much money it wants. These tournaments aren't free, simply put you can't come to an understanding with the most basic of financial concepts, yet I'm the stupid one... Okay. :speechles

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Carl O'Steen said:
In 2004 (Finland), the highest attendance mark in the entire tournament was about 7,500.

Our arenas don't hold that much people. I saw the Finland - Canada and Finland - Czech Republic games and both were pretty much sold out.

And how many Finnish fans would see the games in Canada? Even on TV? We got two games on TV this year, both played in the middle of the night. Yeah, that's really fun. But I guess that doesn't matter since only thing that matters is making money.

AgentNaslund*

Gonna break some recrods in 2006. Everytime Canada plays. Automatic sell out at GM place, all 18522 flag waving, fans. Mad profits. It will make more money that having 4 tournys at 4 diffrent places in europe :yo:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Boomhower said:
If someone that has your knowledge of finances ran this tournament it would be extinct, you see the IIHF doesn't have some license to print however much money it wants. These tournaments aren't free, you can't come to an understanding with the most basic of financial concepts, yet I'm the stupid one... Okay. :speechles

Do you have some actual numbers to prove your statements? I would like to know exactly how much money we lost at the 2004 WJCs.

chicpea*

wilka91 said:
And the Olympics? Yeah sure, you did win it ... did any other team ever get to face Belarus in a semifinal game?

No, according to the rules, each team can only play one semi-final game. Of this I am almost certain.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
AgentNaslund said:
Gonna break some recrods in 2006. Everytime Canada plays. Automatic sell out at GM place, all 18522 flag waving, fans. Mad profits. It will make more money that having 4 tournys at 4 diffrent places in europe :yo:

And the other games? Finland vs. Switzerland? How many people? My guess, somewhere between 5 and 200. Mad profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad