GDT: Canada vs US IIHF World Hockey Championship 8AM MT

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Canada as clutch as always.

5375-63116-original.jpeg

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Gotta love the Dane fans, miss on a great chance to win in OT, and in the stands they laugh.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
F**k...

Edit: 2 missed one-on-one in the third, and the penalty. Goodnight / bad night for Drai

Good crowd though

Edit: the Danes will get so drunk tonight

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
One thing I noticed today is Dubois seems to be developing quite nicely. Good pick by Columbus

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Larsson with a good 1st day, 23:40 +3, some good chances and playing top pair.

I only saw the last 5 mims + OT in the GER game, in that time Drai stood out, but missed whenever he got a one on one... Three times playing + the shootout I think. He still set up and scored the two goals GER has scored so far.

The only Oiler doing his duty in CAN - USA was Eberle scoring in the shootout.

Hughes is not a bad D prospect.

Anything else?

Edit: McDavid is awesome despite a quiet night

Reactions: Aerrol

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
I found myself just skimming though the game on the pvr. This tournament lacks intensity. It’s so boring compared to the NHL playoffs. Too many of these players just look at this tournament as a vacation.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Looks like 97 and 93 with Schwartz instead of Bailey and Nurse on 3rd pairing in practice.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Hopefully the demotion works Nurse off

I honestly dont understand him. In junior he was a stud although expecting the same level of offense was unrealistic, he seemed to process the game well enough against his peers.

Once he got to the majors, so inconsistent. While its not uncommon for young D to drop off, the way in which he did (first ~40% of season,1st pairing quality followed by bottom 4 to finish the last 60)

Has all the physical tools but can't play at a high level consistently. Hopefully the bigger ice lets him read the game better since there's a bit more time compared to NHL rink. I think once he learns how to approach different situations effectively, he should be good. Worst case, fingers crossed he develops into a mean SOB Dman

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I honestly dont understand him. In junior he was a stud although expecting the same level of offense was unrealistic, he seemed to process the game well enough against his peers.

Once he got to the majors, so inconsistent. While its not uncommon for young D to drop off, the way in which he did (first ~40% of season,1st pairing quality followed by bottom 4 to finish the last 60)

Has all the physical tools but can't play at a high level consistently. Hopefully the bigger ice lets him read the game better since there's a bit more time compared to NHL rink. I think once he learns how to approach different situations effectively, he should be good. Worst case, fingers crossed he develops into a mean SOB Dman
Its weird. I think 99% or his issues are between his ears. He just need to get past that

Reactions: frag2

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

He's been that way since junior. Always had questionable hockey IQ.

Edit: On a side note Denmark vs US will be on at Noon on TSN

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Its weird. I think 99% or his issues are between his ears. He just need to get past that

It's best to keep in mind to not overstate Nurse's mistakes, for most dmen it takes 2 to 3 hundred NHL games to 'marinate' them and see what they are, and he's at game 197 right now. I'd say that next year will be the true indicator of which way he's going to swing...and even then he'll on be 23 years old.

I think part of his issue right now is that like a lot of young dmen who were high draft picks, at this stage they're still trying to figure out what kind of dman they're going to be at the NHL level. Lots of them hold out hope that they're going to be point producers who deserve PP time and get to play with and against the best players (and this is also the avenue to the highest salaries if you want to get mercenary about it), they don't want to be shoehorned into being considered a bottom pairing defensive dman unless that's the only choice they have to stay in the league. As an example, look at Kris Russell: In his final year of junior he scored 32 goals as a dman for a powerhouse Medicine Hat team, was the team's leading scorer of all things. I bet after graduating from junior if you'd told him that he would never score more than 7 goals in a full NHL season and would evolve into a defensive dman who specialized in blocking shots and sacrificing his body all over the ice, he would have thought you were completely insane and trying to belittle what he was capable of.

Even in yesterday's game where Nurse made mistakes that led to the turnovers that led to goals against, it's not like every single time he was on the ice he was screwing up. He also made some good plays too, but nobody made mention of them because all people seem to remember are the mistakes. With the fans it always seems like Nurse is one extreme or the other. Either he's a "beast!" or he's the worst dman in the league. IMO next year is going to be critical in his development.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's best to keep in mind to not overstate Nurse's mistakes, for most dmen it takes 2 to 3 hundred NHL games to 'marinate' them and see what they are, and he's at game 197 right now. I'd say that next year will be the true indicator of which way he's going to swing...and even then he'll on be 23 years old.

I think part of his issue right now is that like a lot of young dmen who were high draft picks, at this stage they're still trying to figure out what kind of dman they're going to be at the NHL level. Lots of them hold out hope that they're going to be point producers who deserve PP time and get to play with and against the best players (and this is also the avenue to the highest salaries if you want to get mercenary about it), they don't want to be shoehorned into being considered a bottom pairing defensive dman unless that's the only choice they have to stay in the league. As an example, look at Kris Russell: In his final year of junior he scored 32 goals as a dman for a powerhouse Medicine Hat team, was the team's leading scorer of all things. I bet after graduating from junior if you'd told him that he would never score more than 7 goals in a full NHL season and would evolve into a defensive dman who specialized in blocking shots and sacrificing his body all over the ice, he would have thought you were completely insane and trying to belittle what he was capable of.

Even in yesterday's game where Nurse made mistakes that led to the turnovers that led to goals against, it's not like every single time he was on the ice he was screwing up. He also made some good plays too, but nobody made mention of them because all people seem to remember are the mistakes. With the fans it always seems like Nurse is one extreme or the other. Either he's a "beast!" or he's the worst dman in the league. IMO next year is going to be critical in his development.
Time is running out for him though to figure it out. He is hitting the age and point where we will know what he is. He has some glaring issues that he needs to clean up and if he can he will be a beast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad