Canada vs UBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
As much as I like hussle if guys like Bertram and Pyatt make it over Setoguchi Im going to cry lol Theres too many grinders on this team.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
haha Im kind ajust talking outta my ace, Im a Calgary Flames fan... You can never have too many grinders!!! :sarcasm: But seriously... they do get the job done. I just will pray that seto makes it somehow.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Eb0la11 said:
As much as I like hussle if guys like Bertram and Pyatt make it over Setoguchi Im going to cry lol Theres too many grinders on this team.

I'm not sure I'd call Bertram a grinder. He's not unskilled, in fact he and Setoguchi seem to play a similar style. Keep in mind that Canada's so called grinders are usually quite good scorers at the junior level. One year Stoll centered the checking line, he's a top two line NHLer now. Pyatt is a point per game in the OHL even though he's not the most skilled guy at the camp.

I don't think the grinder comment is fair. There's maybe one grinder on the team, the rest are excellent two way players or real offensive threats.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
hahaha yeah im just messing around FDW, I was just rather certain Seto would make the team ever since the u-18s last year, cause since then his play has been superb. I got my fingers crossed, its not that bad either way I just would rather watch a Setoguchi team canada than a no setoguchi team canada...

As for Grinders, I know I was just messing... I actually am a pretty big fan of Bertram and he skates like the wind and is pretty good, Pyatt Im still not sold on though, and I saw him in the u18s and at the summer camp so I dunno what the big deal about him is. I still dont have a good opinion of him yet though, so I guess Ill have one at tourney end.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
X-SHARKIE said:
What time is the roster being announced tomorow?

I'm thinking pretty early. They are reporting that the final team will be having a team breakfast together, so I would think we're talking prior to 8am pacific.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm kind of baffled as to why Pogge wasn't in nets for UBC in this one. Indications seem to be he is the #1 guy for Canada, so why not let him get peppered and see how well he fares? Instead he faces 4 shots by weak UBC shooters. Let him get some rubber and evaluate him properly. This isn't a Jeff Glass situation, Canada is going to give up a fair number of shots this time around.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
Goalie stats from camp
Pogge 17/17 sv% 1.000
Price 34/38 sv% .895
Dubnyk 29/38 sv% .763
Ellis 27/36 sv% .75

Based on the performance over the evaluation camp Pogge has to be a lock, and Price has been second best so far and is the only 18 year old tender so should be given the backup role.

Now that things are wrapped in the evaluation camp I'm not sure why everyone is sold on Pogge. So far he has faced 13 shots and 4 shots and granted has stopped them all but that is not what he'll see from the States or Fins in Vancouver so giving him the #1 seems premature I think. The warm up against the Czechs will determine who is #1 and will see how Pogge is when he faces some real competition.

Price is a more than capable backup besides coming in cold and getting shelled on his first 3 shots in the UBC game he has made 34 saves on 35 shots so I don't think Canada really has a problem in nets.

They have a guy who has played well all year and in the evaluation camp and if he should falter under the pressure he will face then they have a guy who reguarily faces 30+ shots and has played well doing so.

I think Gord, Pierre, and Bob are looking for some drama in the goaltending situation they say Pogge looks awesome after the first intersquad game facing 13 shots, but say Price in his first game gave a up a weak rebound goal and didn't face much competion facing 17 shots. They also neglect to mention tonight that after Price gave up 3 goals on 3 shots he rolled off 18 consecutive saves and shut down Team Canada's offense. I don't think Sutter and Co. will be up late picking it seems to be an easy choice.

If Pogge and Price aren't the goalies then I sure hope Sutter's pick is justified though because I am not 100% sold on Pogge yet though if he keeps pitching shutouts then it would be hard not to be.

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
Hey Everyone, I was at the game here's my take:

Goalies:

Pogge: Wasn't tested at all but was clearly the best goalie of the bunch. Plays with poise, is very large and mobile, drops down and gets up quickly. Also, Pogge clearly has the best puck handling skills of the four goalies. He had three excellent passes to a streaking forward in the neutral zone, one of which he banked off the glass and landed on the forward's stick. Great work. I am confident about our goalie.

As for the rest, I think Price makes it. He had a shakey start allowing 2 goals (one from the blueline that beat him five hole) on the first two shots but he gathered himself and made some very big saves in the third. He stoned Pokulok on a one-timer in close and snatched a glove out on a ringer from Bertram at the hash marks.

Defence:

With 6 guys vying for one spot, the competition was pretty solid between them all. It was hard to get a read on who was the best, no one really stood out but I'm confident Sutter will pick Pokulok.

UBC really didn't bring any speed or sustained pressure to get a read on how these guys actually play in their own zone. That should speak to the abilities of all six blueliners.

-Pokulok: Set up a goal, put some good shots on net, solid defensively and made some nice rushes into the play. He was also very hard hitting along the boards.

-Schultz: I would give him second best of the evening. Made a really nice shot block in the second, was mobile for a big man and played very composed. Pokulok wins though because he showed good offensive instincts.

-The rest were good but just didn't make themselves noticed. Funk had a couple bad giveaways, Rogers and Vlasic line did their job. Vlasic had some decent shots on net, Rogers was not very noticeable.

Forwards: I don't want to get too in depth with individual play I would guess that Chucko, Little, Esposito, Downie and Setoguchi are on the block.

Here were the lines:

Latendresse - Brassard - Downie
Pouliot - Toews - Bertram
O'Marra - Cogliano - Chucko
Little - Esposito - Setoguchi

Latendresse had very good play followed by very uninterested play. He was great in the 1st, took the second off and went through the motions in the 3rd. He still makes it because he made some real good chances for himself and skates surprisingly well.

Brassard was great on the faceoffs.

Pouliot was one of the best forwards out there. Great strength and a great shot. He beat Dubnyk on the first shot of the game off the post and in.

Toews best forward out there in my opinion. He's one of those players that goes full throttle and is always where the puck ends up. Fantastic speed, hits anything that moves and great hockey sense.

Bertram finished off that great line, had a goal showed good speed and good passing.

O'Marra also had a great game. Made some great moves on the powerplay in the second, scored a goal, was a force along the boards and has a heavy shot. Him and Cogliano had really good chemisty. This line had the most scoring chances all game and O'Marra was dangerous almost every shift.

Cogliano I would rate as the second best forward out there tonight and he wasn't far off from Toews. He has great speed and puck handling skills and had at least 7 shots on goal. He also set up some great plays and made a beautiful pass to Chucko on the doorstep for his goal. Great player.

Chucko played very disinterested in the first and woke up in the second. Made a great feed to O'Marra through the crease for a goal and had probably the hardest hit all game in the third when he shattered a UBC forward in his own zone against the boards. Unfortunately he's just too slow right now to make a difference on this team and to be an effective 4th line role player.

Little got sniffs all game but was a perimeter player. He scored on a nice play from Esposito but I think he stays home this year. Not hugely noticeable but still had a good game.

Esposito would be really hard to leave at home as he was a force all game. Unfortunately I think he is just too young and will be dominant at next years WJC. He hit well, and had some great chances on goal that he didn't finish on. He did score and made some nice hits but I but Sutter leaves him if not for age alone.

Setoguchi is another guy I'd like to see on the team but I don't see making it. Took a silly penalty and didn't really get it going offensively. He had some chances and was probably Canada's best forechecker all game unfortunately we sat some of our best forecheckers and I don't think he gets a taste which is too bad. He will be a good 3rd line NHL player though.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Steadfast said:
I'm kind of baffled as to why Pogge wasn't in nets for UBC in this one. Indications seem to be he is the #1 guy for Canada, so why not let him get peppered and see how well he fares? Instead he faces 4 shots by weak UBC shooters. Let him get some rubber and evaluate him properly. This isn't a Jeff Glass situation, Canada is going to give up a fair number of shots this time around.

Well there are warmup games for that purpose. I'm guessing they were thinking about seeing how Dubnyk and Price fared against Canada for the #2 role. I don't think Ellis had a chance after that 8-1 scrimmage and personally he didn't impress me again tonight either.

If you have your #1 on Canada with the #4 then that gives you the best chance to evaluate the other two.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
I would think that another encouraging thing about this is the potential number of guys who can come back next year. That has to be encouraging. Not to start looking too far ahead but just noting the strong play of a number of the younger guys.

Allyna16

Apr 26, 2005
Ronald Pagan said:
Cogliano I would rate as the second best forward out there tonight and he wasn't far off from Toews. He has great speed and puck handling skills and had at least 7 shots on goal. He also set up some great plays and made a beautiful pass to Chucko on the doorstep for his goal. Great player.

:handclap: Thanks for this. I'm so glad for the World Juniors, otherwise we Oiler fans probably wouldn't see much of this kid for the next couple years. Can't wait to see him play.

I wonder if they'll reunite him with Latendresse and/or Pouliot at all, after the way they ripped it up at the summer camp. I kinda thought maybe Sutter wanted to see how his defensive abilities measured up this time around. I guess it's good to spread the scoring around.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I really want so see Latendresse Cogliano Pouliot together this team is going to need to score goals and these guys will light the lamp.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Allyna16 said:
:handclap: Thanks for this. I'm so glad for the World Juniors, otherwise we Oiler fans probably wouldn't see much of this kid for the next couple years. Can't wait to see him play.

I wonder if they'll reunite him with Latendresse and/or Pouliot at all, after the way they ripped it up at the summer camp. I kinda thought maybe Sutter wanted to see how his defensive abilities measured up this time around. I guess it's good to spread the scoring around.

I'll trade you Rask for Cogliano ;) . :cry:

Avery4Byng*

Cant wait to see The Network Line
CBC.... Comeau-Boyd-Chipchura.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
wow, I'm both shocked and elated that Sasha has played so well. Certainly wouldn't have seen this coming based on his play so far this year. Hopefully he gets picked, plays well and carries that into the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->