GDT: Canada vs Kazakhstan

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I understand this Canada roster doesn't look exactly spectacular according to Canada's standard but still it looks significatly stronger on paper than Kazakhstan. This was so painful to watch. I've been always taking Canada, whatever roster they might bring, for kind of an etalon of the given tournament. Even this year I was considering them a QF lock, and possible medal contender. But they have been so disappointing so far. From the goaltending to the powerplays, nothing has been working for this team. They have really been closer to Kazakhstan and Norway than Finland and the US in the terms of performance. Quite weird.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I understand this Canada roster doesn't look exactly spectacular according to Canada's standard but still it looks significatly stronger on paper than Kazakhstan. This was so painful to watch. I've been always taking Canada, whatever roster they might bring, for kind of an etalon of the given tournament. Even this year I was considering them a QF lock, and possible medal contender. But they have been so disappointing so far. From the goaltending to the powerplays, nothing has been working for this team. They have really been closer to Kazakhstan and Norway than Finland and the US in the terms of performance. Quite weird.
I still think they make the quarters. Slowly but surely piling up some points. They should win next game and then it will be do or die against Finns... game might be more important to them then Finland. I'm quite excited for the last day! Canada vs Finland... Us against Slovakia.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I still think they make the quarters. Slowly but surely piling up some points. They should win next game and then it will be do or die against Finns... game might be more important to them then Finland. I'm quite excited for the last day! Canada vs Finland... Us against Slovakia.

Having lost to the US, Latvia and Germany, they would need a massive help from other games. Kazakhstan has 7 points now, and games against Norway and Italy ahead. They are most probably going to make it 13 points. Canada can have 12 max at the end. Germany, and the US have 9 each now, Finland has 10. How could Canada skip one of those three? If Germany beats Latvia, they are ahead of them. If the Finns do the same, they are ahead as well. If the US beat Italy or Norway, the same. Even if either Germany or Finland lose to Latvia, then Latvia is ahead of Canada if they beat Norway tonight. Basically, if Latvia beats Norway in tonight's game (quite probable), Canada is out.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I understand this Canada roster doesn't look exactly spectacular according to Canada's standard but still it looks significatly stronger on paper than Kazakhstan.
I think first two games have proved that the way this team looks on paper means nothing, it got completely demolished by a very similar-looking US roster.

Reactions: BigBadBoar

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Somewhere along the line the coaching staff has to be accountable. PP has to be better and no excuses for not trying to change up and manufacture some chemistry. So teams that we usually beat are just out playing us. Not with more talent but with a more hustle and determination.
Power is 18 and playing top minutes on our D today. What does that say about our other D? I like Powers game but he should not be our best D. Same with Perfetti getting the game winner with limited TOI. This team has to keep building on chemistry and confidence in order to win the next 2. Finland will show what kind of character we have or the coach has to light a fire under his teams ass and play our game. We don't have any superstars neither do many other teams. Time to stop going through the motions and play some hard nosed tough games.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I think first two games have proved that the way this team looks on paper means nothing, it got completely demolished by a very similar-looking US roster.
While technically true, there's no one like Garland or Robertson on the Canadian roster. That one US line is wrecking havoc against every opponent. It creates momentum and continued puck possession and a whole array of scoring chances for them.

There isn't a single line on Team Canada that would be clearly superior to their opposition.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Having lost to the US, Latvia and Germany, they would need a massive help from other games. Kazakhstan has 7 points now, and games against Norway and Italy ahead. They are most probably going to make it 13 points. Canada can have 12 max at the end. Germany, and the US have 9 each now, Finland has 10. How could Canada skip one of those three? If Germany beats Latvia, they are ahead of them. If the Finns do the same, they are ahead as well. If the US beat Italy or Norway, the same. Even if either Germany or Finland lose to Latvia, then Latvia is ahead of Canada if they beat Norway tonight. Basically, if Latvia beats Norway in tonight's game (quite probable), Canada is out.
If they get their 12 points and run the table, I think they get in. So many different combos but I'm sticking to this one till they are officially eliminated.lol

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
If they get their 12 points and run the table, I think they get in. So many different combos but I'm sticking to this one till they are officially eliminated.lol

Even with 12 points, their chances are rather hypothetical. Just look at the rankings and the remaining schedule.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

Italy has a team?

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Aside from TC completely doing this to themselves with some really terrible play, Germany's rather unexpected loss to Kazakhstan is what it might really come down to in terms of Canada making the QFs. Kazakhstan really should not be what's keeping a Top 2, 5, 7 or whatever permutation out of the final 8 of the competition.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I wouldnt be so sure Kazakhstan wins vs Norway, on paper they are equal

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Not in their hands anymore though. Could well be Finland USA Kazakhstan and Germany even if Canada wins both games due to tiebreakers. Latvia would need to take points against both Finland and Germany now though, so pretty remote but still in their hands.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, it does. They still need some help through. Either from Latvia (vs. FIN or GER) or from Norway (vs. Kazakhstan). Plus, they need to beat Finland obviously.
That Latvia vs germany is going to be something. Same with slovakia vs Denmark. Some great matches coming up before final day if round robin.

Reactions: L13

member 305909

Kazakstan stops being an elevator-team. Italy gets totally run over by the Kazaks in the first and perhaps only double digit game of the tournament.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Kazakstan stops being an elevator-team. Italy gets totally run over by the Kazaks in the first and perhaps only double digit game of the tournament.

Well Finnish sport site said that Italy is icing some half professional players who have other jobs, so Italy has done really well avoiding bigger blowout results before this.

KAZ is definitely the biggest surprise team of this tournament for me. Logically thinking KAZ being this good is no surprise, because they have a KHL team and they are good in that other sport. I think it's called bandy and it's similar to ice hockey. It has been surprising over the years that they haven't been a permanent A-division level team before with all those factors.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Darcy Kuemper can’t possibly be the best goaltender Canada could get, can he? I don’t think I’ve seen him let in a single goal he shouldn’t have stopped.

The current era of Canadian goalies and dmans nowhere near as good as 2010 and 2014. Not even close. We have too many centers and it seems like the 2022 team will rely on mcdavid and Mack to carry that team to a gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad