GDT: Canada vs Czechia 3pm PT/ 6pm ET/ Midnight CEST - Aug 13th, 2022

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
How does Grieg look?
He looks like he'll become a highly effective utility player at the NHL level. A guy who can play up and down a lineup at all positions and all situations, probably best slotted as a high end 3C on a contender. Reminds me a slightly less skilled Dawson Mercer.

A future C group of Stutzle, Norris, Pinto, and Grieg might mean he ends up slotting on the wing, but it's a luxury to have him as an option there.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
I do think Bedard is an elite talent, but for those expecting a mcdavid level player at the next level, I think we’re going to be disappointed. I think he’ll be a 40+ goal scorer, but I don’t think he’ll ever be seen as the best player in the world.
Agreed. I think his combination of lack of size, lack of gamebreaking skating ability and lack of stockiness (a la Sidney Crosby) will prevent him from ever being considered the #1 center in the game.

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
I don’t get it. Better weather? Isn’t summer weather to be expected in August?

It’s true that Bedard wasn’t particularly impressive today. He had a lot more trouble making plays. But considering his age, that is to be expected.

Should have read: Good game, better weather. Formatting got messed up on my phone

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Agreed. I think his combination of lack of size, lack of gamebreaking skating ability and lack of stockiness (a la Sidney Crosby) will prevent him from ever being considered the #1 center in the game.
You are 100% wrong about his lack of stockiness. He has a remarkably similar build to Crosby - I think he actually has a bigger lower body than Sid did at the same age, which is saying something.

He doesn't have the same competitiveness/tenacity as Sid and without the speed of McDavid and the size of Matthews it will make it a lot harder to reach the generational level. He has shown that he is an elite playmaker when he chooses to be but still needs to work on his pass vs shoot decision making. If he can round out his playmaking and become more of a dual threat, he has the hands to become Patty Kane with a Matthews shot.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
You are 100% wrong about his lack of stockiness. He has a remarkably similar build to Crosby - I think he actually has a bigger lower body than Sid did at the same age, which is saying something.

He doesn't have the same competitiveness/tenacity as Sid and without the speed of McDavid and the size of Matthews it will make it a lot harder to reach the generational level. He has shown that he is an elite playmaker when he chooses to be but still needs to work on his pass vs shoot decision making. If he can round out his playmaking and become more of a dual threat, he has the hands to become Patty Kane with a Matthews shot.
Just as you disagreed with the post about his stockiness, I must now take issue with your claim that he doesn’t have the competitiveness/tenacity of Crosby. I would argue that Bedard is off the charts in that department. He mixes it up with everybody! There is NOBODY on the other team that doesn’t want to take a run at him and he freakin’ loves every minute of it. He thrives under the physical play and is absolutely driven to succeed.

As for his decision making regarding pass vs shoot, I am inclined to agree with you, but then again when you are the best goal scorer around and can simply overpower a goalie, I guess it’s tough to pass up that shot.

His skating isn’t as dynamic as McDavid but nobody’s is. Bedard‘s skating is still quite good and an area that will likely get better with time.

I have zero problem seeing this kid as the best player in the NHL.. AFTER McDavid gives up his crown.

Reactions: jj cale

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
My point about the competitiveness/tenacity is more so about between the whistles and general style of play. Bedard started playing with a chip on his shoulder about half way through last season and it's great but it is mainly after the whistles where he is mixing it up and being an agitator. He has a a skill/first liner mentality like McDavid does, whereas Sid plays like and 3rd line grinder and thrives on the cycle and in the corners. It will just be harder to separate himself from the elite without the straight line speed of McDavid or the skill/size combo of Matthews - still doable.

You a right about Bedard's skating though - it is criminally underrated by those who don't watch him often. He possesses and deploys his multiple gears very effectively and has amazing edgework. As point out by the scouting report below (2 min mark), his pace of play and ability to constantly put defenders on their heels is special.

Reactions: jj cale

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He looks like he'll become a highly effective utility player at the NHL level. A guy who can play up and down a lineup at all positions and all situations, probably best slotted as a high end 3C on a contender. Reminds me a slightly less skilled Dawson Mercer.

A future C group of Stutzle, Norris, Pinto, and Grieg might mean he ends up slotting on the wing, but it's a luxury to have him as an option there.
Greig is probably a high end 3c but Mercer is a 1st line forward, likely on the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad