Canada v. CIS tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Two years makes that much of a difference?

Or do kids go to college at a later age in Canada or something?

A lot of guys playing university hockey in Canada also played in the CHL as overagers and then got a scholarship. So they end up going to school when they're 21-25. There's some younger guys but I'd say the average age in university hockey in Canada is 23.

Bryzga lol*

Goalie Stats

Price: 17 saves / 18 shots
Irving: 21 saves / 24 shots
Bernier: 10 saves / 13 shots
Mason: 2 goals allowed!

I'm a Price and Irving fan...so that's even more encouragement.

Any nice saves?? Weak goals?

no Gino

May 16, 2005
So Canada outshoots the University team by almost a two to one margin and loses. Bernier and Mason are gone.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
A lot of guys playing university hockey in Canada also played in the CHL as overagers and then got a scholarship. So they end up going to school when they're 21-25. There's some younger guys but I'd say the average age in university hockey in Canada is 23.

That's pretty much it. A college career is like 4-5 years, they start at 20 or 21. 23 seems to be fair. That would most likely be the average age of my college team, les Aigles Bleus, who are first in Canada!

Bryzga lol*

Mackenzie says it's clear that Price is first.... Irving is second and Bernier played himself off the team

espo*

The CIS guys are skilled, to be sure, but the "best" of the CHL shouldn't be losing to CIS guys regardless of the age difference. Hopefully they just need some time to gel.

Of course.The chl guys usually win these games and should.

I was just having fun with what i knew was the inevitable fan from some other country coming on and gently whispering in our ear..........'geeez,you guys lost your game with the CIS!!!"

all under the veil of simply wanting to give some props to the CIS guys of course.Classic HFboards stuff that is fun to watch play out and have fun with.I had no sooner seen that the cis had won the game and thought to myself...'won't be long now".Sure enough,two minutes later.............................

i have to admit to being dissapointed at the result though,these games should be nailed down.How bad a sign is it?

But todays a new day!!!

Guy Flaming

Pretty tough to call that a CIS all-star team when zero players from the two best teams in the conference weren't there. No one from Saskatchewan or Alberta let alone UBC or Manitoba. Calgary is doing OK this year but in a true All-Star team from the Canada West conference, there would be about 8 players from Alberta and probably 4 or 5 from Saskatchewan that made the team.

There's a reason this game was put together so late... and my theory is that they wanted a tune up game for the WJC club that they could get some confidence from and so they played the CGY Dinos and a few Lethbridge Pronghorns thrown in. Unfortunately it backfired and instead of a tune up, they got tuned.

It would have been a lot worse of a beating had the Huskies and Golden Bears sent players too.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Pretty tough to call that a CIS all-star team when zero players from the two best teams in the conference weren't there. No one from Saskatchewan or Alberta let alone UBC or Manitoba. Calgary is doing OK this year but in a true All-Star team from the Canada West conference, there would be about 8 players from Alberta and probably 4 or 5 from Saskatchewan that made the team.

There's a reason this game was put together so late... and my theory is that they wanted a tune up game for the WJC club that they could get some confidence from and so they played the CGY Dinos and a few Lethbridge Pronghorns thrown in. Unfortunately it backfired and instead of a tune up, they got tuned.

It would have been a lot worse of a beating had the Huskies and Golden Bears sent players too.

Bob Mckenzie mentioned on TEAM1260 (plug for you Guy!) that the Canadian team has been way too complacent during the entire camp, and that it might need a bad beating in Finland/Sweden for this team to realize what's at stake. He mentioned that the 11 returning players might not realize the kind of work they need to put in, especially because they will be away from home this year. It was definitely an interesting comment from him.

espo*

I'm concerned,when Bob Mackenzie tells you he thinks they need to get it i gear and step on the gas i'm inclined to take it seriousely.Losing to the CIS team(while not impossible) is still not a confidence builder for this fan.Other guys around here that follow the CHL a lot and are in the know have questions about core d-guys who they think have been less then stellar this year also and i'm inclined to take them seriousely also.

Every team needs to have a fire in their belly no matter how talented they are.It seems that this team may need to get it and get it fast.That *** whoopin Bob was talking about may be just what the doctor ordered.Though i fail to see how their result against the CIS the other night should'nt make things crystal clear to them already.

They won't win this tournament on press clippings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad