Vitali Samoilov 19

http://www.hhof.com/html/TeamRosterCCUP1987URS.shtml
http://www.hhof.com/html/TeamRosterCCUP1987CAN.shtml

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Robertsson 4-ever said:
I've finally found a recorded verison of the final game of the 1987 Canda Cup, which I've never seen before. :handclap:

Does anyone have a lineup with jersey numbers of the players? It would be greatly appriciated!
Great game isnt it. I had a copy that my VCR ate.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Mayor of MacAppolis said:

Curious that Kevin Dineen had the highest ppg of any RW, but only played in 3 games. Since I know that stats don't tell the whole story can someone out there fill me in on the reason why?
A clutch, grinding situation like that seems like one where Dineen would've excelled.
Also, why Gilmour and Sutter over Francis (I guess I can see Hawerchuk, maybe)?
I know this is all nitpicking since Canada won gold. I'm just curious and hoping someone will humor me. Thanks.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Vic, Dineen suffered ankle injury in Canada's third game of round-robin portion of tournament in 3-2 win over USA. As a result of ankle injury, Dineen was lost for the remainder of the Canada Cup tourney. As USA defencemen Rod Langway (with his sweater stained with his own blood) said of the game, "both teams must have shared 30 stitches, and I only got 5 of the stitches." The game itself was described as filled with chippiness, aggressive solid checking, ear-level crosschecks and stickblades, accurate elbows and innumerable boardings dispensed by both sides that were tolerated by Finnish referee Karl-Gustav Kaisla and his NHL linesmen John D'Amico and Kevin Collins.

According to game accounts:
Trouble began in the 2nd period when Canada's Claude Lemieux flattened USA's Chris Nilan. Canada's Rick Tocchet then objected to USA's Phil Housley's treatment of Lemieux with a crushing check that put Housley down on the ice for minutes.
As the period devolved, Canada's Mario Lemieux high sticked Chris Nilan in response to an elbow he received from Nilan. Claude Lemieux stepped in to defend his fellow Lemieux, and in the melee he took a punch from USA's Curt Fraser. But instead of retaliating, Claude skated directly to his bench leaving Nilan to receive a 10 minute misconduct. USA's Gary Suter also eliminated Canada's Kevin Dineen with a first-period bodyslam.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
Player No.
Glenn Anderson 9
Ray Bourque 7
Paul Coffey 77
Doug Crossman 2
Kevin Dineen 14
Mike Gartner 12
Doug Gilmour 28
Michel Goulet 16
Wayne Gretzky 99
Craig Hartsburg 4
Dale Hawerchuk 10
Claude Lemieux 32
Mario Lemieux 66
Mark Messier 11
Larry Murphy 8
James Patrick 6
Brian Propp 26
Normand Rochefort 5
Brent Sutter 21
Rick Tocchet 22
Grant Fuhr 31
Ron Hextall 27
Kelly Hrudey 30

Vyacheslav Bykov 27
Anatoli Fedotov 14
Viacheslav Fetisov 2
Alexei Gusarov 3
Valeri Kamensky 13
Alexei Kasatonov 7
Yuri Khmylev 8
Andrei Khomutov 15
Igor Kravchuk 29
Vladimir Krutov 9
Igor Larionov 11
Andrei Lomakin 23
Sergei Makarov 24
Sergei Nemchinov 12
Vasili Pervukhin 5
Sergei Priakhin 22
Alexander Semak 18
Anatoli Semenov 30
Igor Stelnov 4
Sergei Svetlov 16
Yevgeny Belosheikin 20
Sergei Mylnikov 1
Vitali Samoilov 19

http://www.hhof.com/html/TeamRosterCCUP1987URS.shtml
http://www.hhof.com/html/TeamRosterCCUP1987CAN.shtml

Thank you! Exactly what i were looking for! You're the man! :handclap:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Vicious Vic said:
Curious that Kevin Dineen had the highest ppg of any RW, but only played in 3 games. Since I know that stats don't tell the whole story can someone out there fill me in on the reason why?
A clutch, grinding situation like that seems like one where Dineen would've excelled.
Also, why Gilmour and Sutter over Francis (I guess I can see Hawerchuk, maybe)?
I know this is all nitpicking since Canada won gold. I'm just curious and hoping someone will humor me. Thanks.

Hawerchuk certainly deserved a spot on that team. At the time he was clearly the best of the group you named (Francis, Gilmour and Sutter).

Also Gilmour and Sutter were grittier players than Francis, and were going to be used more in a checking role.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
John Flyers Fan said:
Hawerchuk certainly deserved a spot on that team. At the time he was clearly the best of the group you named (Francis, Gilmour and Sutter).

Also Gilmour and Sutter were grittier players than Francis, and were going to be used more in a checking role.

I agree with you about Hawerchuk (in 1987 at least). And Sutter and Gilmour were definitely a helluva lot grittier than Ronnie, even though St. Francis' defensive play was nothing to scoff at. Thanks for the response.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
svetovy poharu said:
Vic, Dineen suffered ankle injury in Canada's third game of round-robin portion of tournament in 3-2 win over USA. As a result of ankle injury, Dineen was lost for the remainder of the Canada Cup tourney. As USA defencemen Rod Langway (with his sweater stained with his own blood) said of the game, "both teams must have shared 30 stitches, and I only got 5 of the stitches." The game itself was described as filled with chippiness, aggressive solid checking, ear-level crosschecks and stickblades, accurate elbows and innumerable boardings dispensed by both sides that were tolerated by Finnish referee Karl-Gustav Kaisla and his NHL linesmen John D'Amico and Kevin Collins.

According to game accounts:
Trouble began in the 2nd period when Canada's Claude Lemieux flattened USA's Chris Nilan. Canada's Rick Tocchet then objected to USA's Phil Housley's treatment of Lemieux with a crushing check that put Housley down on the ice for minutes.
As the period devolved, Canada's Mario Lemieux high sticked Chris Nilan in response to an elbow he received from Nilan. Claude Lemieux stepped in to defend his fellow Lemieux, and in the melee he took a punch from USA's Curt Fraser. But instead of retaliating, Claude skated directly to his bench leaving Nilan to receive a 10 minute misconduct. USA's Gary Suter also eliminated Canada's Kevin Dineen with a first-period bodyslam.

Wow. Sounds like an awesome game. Thanks for the response.

edit: :lol Just re-read that again. Classic Claude Lemieux and Gary Suter...

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Robertsson 4-ever said:
I've finally found a recorded verison of the final game of the 1987 Canda Cup, which I've never seen before. :handclap:

Does anyone have a lineup with jersey numbers of the players? It would be greatly appriciated!

If you get a chance to watch the other two games definitely do so. Both were epic games, especially game 2 that went double OT.

Wayne Gretzky considers Game 2, to be the best game he ever played. Canada 6 - Russia 5 in 2OT. Gretzky with 5 assists, Mario had a Hat Trick including the game winner.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The 1987 Canada Cup final was the best Hockey as far as entertainment value goes, and pressure. The '72 series was dramatic as well but the '87 Cup was better. We may never see two teams so equal again. Three 6-5 games. The first two being in overtime. You had Lemieux, Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Bourque, Anderson and Fuhr all in their prime. On the Russians side it was Larionov, Krutov, Makarov, fetisov, Kasatonov, and a young Kamensky all in their primes.

It was just flat out great Hockey. Even in overtime there was end to end rushes and great scoring chances and briliant goaltneding especially form Grant Fuhr. Even if Hockey ever comes back I dont think there's ever going to be a set of games quite that exciting. The '04 World Cup only had one really good game and that was Can/Cze semi final which was a great one in its own right but that '87 clash is in a class by itself.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Robertsson 4-ever said:

Watch the tape carefully. Canada hooked down 2 of the of the Russian players at the end with no penalty called. That's why Gretzly, Lemieux and Larry Murphy were virtually alonre at the Russuan end.

I guess you can only use the break-their-star-player's-ankle trick once every 20 years. The rest of the time, you need homer referees. Funy how these big tournaments always have their finals in Canada and never in Russia or Czech. The Canadians apparently need home ice and home referees

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
arnie said:
Watch the tape carefully. Canada hooked down 2 of the of the Russian players at the end with no penalty called. That's why Gretzly, Lemieux and Larry Murphy were virtually alonre at the Russuan end.

I guess you can only use the break-their-star-player's-ankle trick once every 20 years. The rest of the time, you need homer referees. Funy how these big tournaments always have their finals in Canada and never in Russia or Czech. The Canadians apparently need home ice and home referees

You seem to know a lot :handclap:

Was thinking of watching the game tonight, maybe you got the line combinations as well?

espo*

arnie said:

Watch the tape carefully yourself all the way through,earlier in the game a russian hooks Bourque down and leads directly to a breakaway where the Russians score and there was no call but it was there for all the refs to see in full sight.It all comes out in the wash my friend.for every bad call for us there are bad calls against us.......and don't get me going on the joke of the world champoinships in the 70's and 80's....they've only stopped blantantly ripping us off there in the last ten years.

pp33

May 18, 2004
arnie said:

Well, that last 3 on 1 charge can be blamed solely on Soviets. They played stupid on that one, plain and simple. Bykov lost the draw, Khomutov rushed deep with no sense, Kamensky was blocked legally in the faceoff and Gusarov played poorly and missed Lemieux on the boards. So, it was Gretzky, Lemieux and Murphy against Stelnov.

Stelnov decided to go against Gretzky, who was with the puck, but fell down by himself leaving Wayne an open line to pass the puck to Mario. Bykov was rushing after them and MIGHT have been able to disturb Lemieux had Hawerchuk not been beside him. Bykov MIGHT have gone down because of Hawerchuk's hook or he MIGHT have just dived when there wasn't nothing else to do.

Can't really say watching the tape if Hawerchuk should have been penalized. Maybe, maybe not, this time he wasn't. But it's a pure lie to claim that Canada got into that 3 on 1 because they hooked down 2 Russians. It never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad