Canada/US exhibition match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Habsfan 32 said:
I agree. If Canada had all their guys healthy we could make 2 really good teams that could compete with any other nation in the world.

It's a moot point, and one I think alot of people on this site, American and otherwise are tired of seeing made. Canada, like every country can only ice one team, and while that team might be the best, is certainly beatable.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Sounds like a good effort from the U.S. Brodeur the differance maker, like he usually is........... :cry: ;)

Yes, according to TSN's report, it does indeed sound like Brodeur was the difference maker. Doesn't appear to be rusty at all. And Turco wasn't too bad himself.

I get the impression that this was a fairly evenly matched game, and Canada got off to a great start due in part to Conklin's shaky play in goal. Personally, I think DiPietro should get the start over Conklin, because to me Conklin is just average (Although DiPietro is largely unproven). He isn't even a #1 goaltender, as he was splitting time with Jussi Markannen last time I checked. Conklin is being rewarded for his stellar netminding at last year's Worlds, where he was on a hot streak.

I may be overreacting a bit. After all, this is only a scrimmage. It's just that I love these Canada-USA matchups. We don't win too often, but I love having these two close neighbors going at it on the ice. The rivalry oozes with intensity. Its like the . Czechs and the Slovaks of North America. Plus, it'll be better now that USA Hockey has weeded out the old and ushered in a new era. One of these days, I'll take a Canadian vacation and attend this tourney. Isn't Winnipeg or one of those western cities supposed to host the WC in the next few years?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CDeeps said:
Yes, according to TSN's report, it does indeed sound like Brodeur was the difference maker. Doesn't appear to be rusty at all. And Turco wasn't too bad himself.

I get the impression that this was a fairly evenly matched game, and Canada got off to a great start due in part to Conklin's shaky play in goal. Personally, I think DiPietro should get the start over Conklin, because to me Conklin is just average (Although DiPietro is largely unproven). He isn't even a #1 goaltender, as he was splitting time with Jussi Markannen last time I checked. Conklin is being rewarded for his stellar netminding at last year's Worlds, where he was on a hot streak.

I may be overreacting a bit. After all, this is only a scrimmage. It's just that I love these Canada-USA matchups. We don't win too often, but I love having these two close neighbors going at it on the ice. The rivalry oozes with intensity. Its like the . Czechs and the Slovaks of North America. Plus, it'll be better now that USA Hockey has weeded out the old and ushered in a new era. One of these days, I'll take a Canadian vacation and attend this tourney. Isn't Winnipeg or one of those western cities supposed to host the WC in the next few years?

Well, Conklin and DiPietro will likely alternate starts (at least prior to the medal round), so we'll get a good idea who is truly on top of their game. As for Conklin in this game, he only gave up two goals to a pretty stacked Canadian roster, so he couldn't have been that bad. Without seeing the goals against, I can't really say how "shaky" he was. As for the Worlds coming to Canada, I think they're coming to Halifax within the next couple of years.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
You're right Ranger, Conklin and DiPietro will probably alternate, and they'll throw Tim Thomas in the 3rd period of the Slovenia game, if all goes well...

Yeah, now that you mentioned it, I'm sure Laviolette will rotate the goalies. Conklin was named best goaltender at last years World Championship, but he actually split time with Mike Dunham.

Halifax, huh? Didn't they host the World Juniors two or three years ago? That's two major tournaments in a three-year span; not bad for a little city.

And Canadian friends (who saw highlights or were at the game), could you please fill Ranger and I in as to who stood out tonight for Team USA? It sounds like Liles played a good game, hitting the goal post on two scoring chances.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
As for the Worlds coming to Canada, I think they're coming to Halifax within the next couple of years.

Halifax and Quebec City are going to share the 2008 worlds.

gretzky99

Rabid Ranger said:
I think you're reading WAY to much into my comments. I know it was just an exhibition, but the U.S. was hardly blown out of the water in this game, actually outshooting Canada 33-32. As for THN's take, I could care less. IMO the U.S. has a chance at a medal, and while I would also say as a team they aren't as good as Canada, the disparity isn't as great as you're making it out to be.

I personally believe that the disparity is that great, and am not suprised that you feel it is not. I am actually suprised at your optomism. I personally think the USA looks brutal (on paper).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
gretzky99 said:
I personally believe that the disparity is that great, and am not suprised that you feel it is not. I am actually suprised at your optomism. I personally think the USA looks brutal (on paper).

Well, virtually the same style of team won bronze last year, and as we all know, the game isn't played on paper. As for the team looking "brutal," we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
CDeeps said:
You're right Ranger, Conklin and DiPietro will probably alternate, and they'll throw Tim Thomas in the 3rd period of the Slovenia game, if all goes well...

Yeah, now that you mentioned it, I'm sure Laviolette will rotate the goalies. Conklin was named best goaltender at last years World Championship, but he actually split time with Mike Dunham.

Halifax, huh? Didn't they host the World Juniors two or three years ago? That's two major tournaments in a three-year span; not bad for a little city.

And Canadian friends (who saw highlights or were at the game), could you please fill Ranger and I in as to who stood out tonight for Team USA? It sounds like Liles played a good game, hitting the goal post on two scoring chances.

We know as much as you do, there were only about 4 or 5 highlights shown on TV. The first Canada goal wasn't really Conklin's fault, but the second was a wrist shot from the slot (beyond the hash marks) that hit his glove and trickled through. He did stop... uhhh.... Marleau I think ... on a breakaway though.

Cullen's goal was nice though, from the side of the net he sorta spun around/backed into the front of the net (like a basketball player sticking out his butt and guarding the ball) and then roofed it from about 3 feet away.

Kinda tough to say who stood out based on 5 highlight clips and no score sheet though.

gretzky99

Rabid Ranger said:
Well, virtually the same style of team won bronze last year, and as we all know, the game isn't played on paper. As for the team looking "brutal," we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Fair enough, as Plato says, never start an argument with someone at the complete opposite position of you, for you will never change each others mind and the debate will not be constructive. I think it applies here.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
gretzky99 said:
Fair enough, as Plato says, never start an argument with someone at the complete opposite position of you, for you will never change each others mind and the debate will not be constructive. I think it applies here.

I'm not interested in getting into an argument, but I wouldn't mind knowing why you think the U.S. line-up is "brutal". Compared to many of the other countries competing it's looking pretty good.

Oil_slick9416*

Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not interested in getting into an argument, but I wouldn't mind knowing why you think the U.S. line-up is "brutal". Compared to many of the other countries competing it's looking pretty good.

it's probably because of the lack of household names, but that doesn't mean anything you gotta start somewhere right
?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Oil_slick9416 said:
it's probably because of the lack of household names, but that doesn't mean anything you gotta start somewhere right
?

If by a lack of household names you mean "stars," then yeah this team is probably short on high profile players with the exception of guys like Mike Modano and Doug Weight. That doesn't mean this team is berift of talent, because it isn't. It's a younger squad made up almost entirely of above average NHL calibre players at all positions, and to suggest that such a roster is brutal is kind of mind numbing IMO.

Oil_slick9416*

Rabid Ranger said:
If by a lack of household names you mean "stars," then yeah this team is probably short on high profile players with the exception of guys like Mike Modano and Doug Weight. That doesn't mean this team is berift of talent, because it isn't. It's a younger squad made up almost entirely of above average NHL calibre players at all positions, and to suggest that such a roster is brutal is kind of mind numbing IMO.

i never said the team is berift of talent, i'm just trying to answer why that other dude thinks it's brutal. i don't think it's brutal.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Oil_slick9416 said:
i never said the team is berift of talent, i'm just trying to answer why that other dude thinks it's brutal. i don't think it's brutal.

I know. I don't mean to harp on you, I was kind of talking to him through your post.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
According to the news reports, Brodeur was spectacular in goal, playing the first 29 minutes and 40 seconds and stopping all 18 shots he faced. He made 2 consecutive kick saves on Modano late in the 1st period and then made a flurry of stops early in the 2nd period when the Americans came out strong. Marty saved his best stop for last when USA defenceman Andy Roach kept the puck on a 2-on-1 break and fired a high shot that was snagged by Brodeur's quick glove hand. Marty Turco then replaced Brodeur at that stoppage of play. Brodeur skated off to a standing ovation from the Halifax crowd of 8,471. Turco went on to make 14 saves, allowing 1 goal.

Goaltending was strong for both teams. Ty Conklin played the entire game for USA, making 29 saves, kept the USA close in the game with some nice saves including an acrobatic glove stop on Simon Gagne in the 2nd period and also stopping Patrick Marleau on a breakaway at the start of the 3rd period. After a sluggish start the Americans clearly held the advantage in play for the last 2 periods, outshooting Canada 17-9 in the 2nd period and 33-32 overall. US defenceman John-Michael Liles hit the right post on the Americans first scoring chance of the game, and in the 2nd period, Liles grazed the post to the left of Brodeur during a US powerplay.

Brodeur said "There was a real good flow to the game. We're starting to get our legs back but there's still a lot of work to do."

US coach Laviolette said "Canada took it to us pretty good in the 1st period. We weren't moving the puck and we weren't moving to each other. It was great goaltending on both ends."

Canadian scratches were centre Joe Thornton and goalie Roberto Luongo.

Game summary is available at:

www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/mens/worlds/2005/results/apr20_canusa.html

gretzky99

Rabid Ranger said:

First off, I think they are brutal in comparison to the rest of the teams, or even teams that the USA usually iced, heres my breakdown:

*Ty Conklin: Bottom 15 goalie in the NHL, definite not top 10
*Rick Dipietro: Bottom 15 goalie in the NHL, definite not top 10
*Tim Thomas: Probably not even top 40 Goalies, but I really don't know him

*Hal Gill: Barely a top 4 in the NHL, but not on a contending team
*Jordan Leopold: Good defensemen, will be better, right now wouldn't consider elite
*John Micheal Liles: Great offensively, poor defensively
*Paul Martin: Non top four, or fringe top four
*Aaron Miller: Good defencemen, maybe there best two way
*Andy Roach: I don't know, didn't play in NHL last year

*Erik Cole: Sub par powerforward
*Mat Cullen: This guy shouldn't be on a national team
*Brian Gionta: See above
*Jeff Halpern: See above
*Mike Knuble: Described as a "star" by Park, but is not. Pretty good season last year though
David Legwand: Good player
Mike Modano: Great Player
*Richard Park: Doesn't deserve to be on a national team in any contending country
*Mark Parrish: Second liner in the NHL at best
Dough WeightL: Great Player- Getting worse
*Mike York: Second liner in the NHL at best

*Represents players that couldn't make team Canada (measure against the best)

This is a VERY critical analysis. I do understand that player can gell an what not, the argument is more about on paper.

Oil_slick9416*

gretzky99 said:
First off, I think they are brutal in comparison to the rest of the teams, or even teams that the USA usually iced, heres my breakdown:

*Jordan Leopold: Good defensemen, will be better, right now wouldn't consider elite

*Mike Knuble: Described as a "star" by Park, but is not. Pretty good season last year though
*Richard Park: Doesn't deserve to be on a national team in any contending country

This is a VERY critical analysis. I do understand that player can gell an what not, the argument is more about on paper.

that kind of analysis can only lead to a flame war :shakehead

slosharksfan*

Dec 30, 2003
Chico
Oil_slick9416 said:
that kind of analysis can only lead to a flame war :shakehead
serously what a jerk :cry: :madfire: just for that and that only i think i will cheer for my americans, even though they have a dallis star on their team, :propeller

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Rabid Ranger said:
It's a moot point, and one I think alot of people on this site, American and otherwise are tired of seeing made.
Amen to that! Every international tournament, this place reads like the 'your call' posts on TSN. :shakehead

Anyway, a pat on the back to Dan Boyle for getting 2 points. Hope he gets to play in some real games. :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
gretzky99 said:

I get it now. You think that for a team to be considered "good" it has to be made up of elite NHLers who would be able to make Team Canada. We'll see how things play out, but I think you'll be surprised how well this team does.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
as much as i dislike the islanders and dipietro...he's easily one of the top young goaltending talents in the NHL. easily.

when he's on, he's on and it's amazingly hard to get anything past him. his problem right now as i see it is consistancy and he has plenty of time to "fix" that problem. if gets hot in this tourney he could take the US to a medal...I'd rather have him in net than conklin

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
that kind of analysis can only lead to a flame war

well i mean really look at that roster again....it is pretty crappy internationally speaking. It would make a good NHL team but this a much better level of hockey, and IMO he was right about most of his player characterization.
They may very well end up playing better than the sum of their parts (as the orginal list provider mentioned) and turn out to be a good team but as it looks on paper they are pretty average.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I remember a US team in 1980 that had NO NHL stars and a lot less talent.
They seemed to do okay.
I'm pulling for the Canadians, but you are asking for trouble if you start putting down another team before the tourney has even started. These competitions are not won on paper, believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad