Briere-Bergeron-Fisher

Staios-Smith
Seabrook-Rathje
Souray-McLaren
Boynton

Giguere
Garon
Fernandez

There are a lot of quality players that I'm sure I've missed, since I was going from the top of my head and looking at the scoring leaders. The fourth team could compete, and while they wouldn't likely win gold, I think they could certainly compete for bronze. There are countries that have the top end depth that Canada has, but no country has the same depth. The four teams listed above could certainly all finish in the top 8, although the top 10 is probably more reasonable.

no Gagne?
i mean he did make the one that counts.

espo*

Boucicaut said:
Of course, this is Canada we're talking about after all. Hell, even Canada's E team would blow the competition out of the water. Everybody knows the other countries' teams just plain suck and have no grit or heart. :sarcasm:
HEY,HEY there!! this is not a thread taking shots at the Finnish team.Leave us and our fantasy talk alone. ;)

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
Of course, this is Canada we're talking about after all. Hell, even Canada's E team would blow the competition out of the water. Everybody knows the other countries' teams just plain suck and have no grit or heart. :sarcasm:

Canada's C team is more talented than a country like....Finland - who always does well at INT competition. I'm not saying our C team would win gold, I'm saying they could with timely play and proper coaching.

Skylab

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatoon
Visit site
gr8haluschak said:
That is a good one, almost ALL the other countries can BARELY ice ONE TEAM let alone two, the only team that could "ice" more than one team is the US and that second team would be hard pressed to defeat teams like Latvia

You are aware that their is professional hockey outside of North America. Many other countries could ice a second team that is as good as what the US can come up with...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Canada 2 might have an outside shot at bronze. They would need CuJo, Belfour or Theodore to steal one or two games to beat the Czechs, Russians and Swedes. But I think they would have a legitimate chance versus the Americans, Slovaks and the Kiprusoff-deficient Finns.

Based on the 81-man eligibility list, Canada 3 would likely lose to any of the Big 7, but might stand a chance against some of the lesser teams. (Switzerland and Germany). Roloson, Ward and Cloutier just don't scare anyone for goalies.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
God Bless Canada said:
Canada 2 might have an outside shot at bronze. They would need CuJo, Belfour or Theodore to steal one or two games to beat the Czechs, Russians and Swedes. But I think they would have a legitimate chance versus the Americans, Slovaks and the Kiprusoff-deficient Finns.

Based on the 81-man eligibility list, Canada 3 would likely lose to any of the Big 7, but might stand a chance against some of the lesser teams. (Switzerland and Germany). Roloson, Ward and Cloutier just don't scare anyone for goalies.

I love this post, especially coming from a Canadian :handclap: . I have to disagree with you a tad though, our C team would definetly compete with Slovakia and possibly win. Even beating the USA or Finalnd with some luck wouldn't be a stretch. I think the C team would most likely beat Germany + Switzerland, but not blow them out.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
gr8haluschak said:
That is a good one, almost ALL the other countries can BARELY ice ONE TEAM let alone two, the only team that could "ice" more than one team is the US and that second team would be hard pressed to defeat teams like Latvia

Every country can ice a 2nd team, the question is how much worse is then 2nd team than the original team... and the quality of that A team.

In the case of team USA, proabably not alot worse, but the starting product is not spectacular either.

Canada probably has a greater gap than the US, but Canada-2 may very well beat USA-1.

I know Russia can ice a solid B team which would mainly come from the RSL and would be slightly better than the USA in terms of forwards but probably not even close to USA in terms of defence (Tverdovsky, Kalinin, Kulyash, Vishnevsky, Vyshedkevich, Gusev, Khavanov) and with very solid by European standards on the goaltending front in Max Sokolov, but an enigma against NHLers.

Im sure the Czechs and Finalnd B teams could rival Germany + Switzeland if not better.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
If Canada doesn't overload their best talents on Team A and spreads their talent among three teams equally, Canada's three teams may have a chance at sweeping the medals.

Spread the talent equally among their defense and goaltending and Canada's three teams would arguably have the #1, #2 and #3 back ends of the Olympics.

Team A:

Pronger - Jovanovski
Morris - Phillips
Boyle - Hannan
Brewer

Brodeur
Giguere

Team B:

Niedermayer - Foote
Blake - Van Ryn
Phaneuf - McLaren
Stuart

Turco
Belfour

Team C:

Redden - Regehr
McCabe - Smith
Hamhuis - Boucher
Allen

Luongo
Theodore

You then spread the offense equally between three forward groups and I'd argue, those three teams may arguably win the gold, silver and bronze medals.

Team A:

Staal - Sakic - Heatley
Crosby - Lemieux - St. Louis
Morrow - Marleau - Cheechoo
Bell - Peca - Brind'Amour

Team B:

Tanguay - Richards - Iginla
Kariya - Spezza - Doan
Horcoff - Allison - Recchi
Scatchard - Primeau - Murray

Team C:

Gagne - Thornton - Bertuzzi
Shannahan - Lecavalier - Yzerman
Nash - Lindros - Sullivan
Morrison - Madden - Hunter

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Jovanovski = Norris said:
If Canada doesn't overload their best talents on Team A and spreads their talent among three teams equally, Canada's three teams may have a chance at sweeping the medals.
They also have a good chance of ending up behind Russia B.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Think of two teams of Russia's defense + goaltending and compare them to Canada's. Difference of night and day.
Russia's B- defense and B goaltending played at the WCh last spring against Canada's B defense and A goaltending and there was very little difference between the two.

VladNYC*

I will enjoy reading this thread after Russia wins gold this year.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
A little more well rounded, I think 4 teams could all have a shot at the gold.

Team 1:

Gagne - Sakic - Iginla
Morrow - Staal - Murray
Bell - Allison - Recchi
Moreau - Draper - Doan

Niedermayer - Regehr
McCabe - Philips
Morris - Jackman

Brodeur
Joseph
Fernandez

Team 2:

Nash - Thornton - St. Louis
Stillman - Spezza - Cheechoo
Torres - Stoll - Lupul
Malone - Peca - O'Neill

Pronger - Jovanovski
Phaneuf - Boyle
Aucoin - Staios

Luongo
Belfour
Roloson

Team 3:

Smyth - Lecavalier - Heatley
Kariya - Crosby - Sullivan
Hartnell - Horcoff - Ryder
Maltby - Madden - Williams

Blake - Foote
Hannan - Bouwmeester
Souray - Smith

Turco
Giguere
Cloutier

Team 4:

Tanguay - Richards - Bertuzzi
Stillmlan - Marleau - Ryder
Whitney - Arnott - Dumont
Friesen - Morrison - Walker

Redden - Brewer
Stuart - Boynton
Rathje - Campbell

Theodore
Biron
Legace

Last edited:

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
TheFinalWord said:
Team 1
Heatley-Sakic-Iginla
Nash-Thornton-St. Louis
Doan-Draper-Bertuzzi
Smyth-Lecavalier-Richards

Blake-Foote
Neidermayer-Pronger
Regher-Redden
Jovo

Luongo
Brodeur
Turco

Team 2
Spezza-Staal-Crosby
Shanahan-Kariya-Savard
Marleau-Tanguay-Sullivan
Murray-Williams-Williams

McCabe-Hannan
Stuart-Brewer
Boyle-Phaneuf
Jackman

Belfour
Joseph
Theodore

Team 3
Stoll-Allison-Turgeon
Richards-Carter-Knuble
BrindAmour-Morrow-Morrison
Arnott-Comrie-Recchi

Boucher-Campbell
Bergeron-Ference
Morris-Phillips
Bouwmeester

Legace
Cloutier
Biron

Team 4
Horcoff-Lindros-Bell
Brunette-Bouchard-Cheechoo
Ryder-Lupul-O'Neil
Briere-Bergeron-Fisher

Staios-Smith
Seabrook-Rathje
Souray-McLaren
Boynton

Giguere
Garon
Fernandez

There are a lot of quality players that I'm sure I've missed, since I was going from the top of my head and looking at the scoring leaders. The fourth team could compete, and while they wouldn't likely win gold, I think they could certainly compete for bronze. There are countries that have the top end depth that Canada has, but no country has the same depth. The four teams listed above could certainly all finish in the top 8, although the top 10 is probably more reasonable.

The top two teams would have a chance at gold, but the third team taking home a medal would take a MAJOR upset. All the other top 7 teams would likely kick their ***. The forth team would be overaccieving just to get into the quaterfinals. Still, impressive depth.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Canada's C team is more talented than a country like....Finland - who always does well at INT competition. I'm not saying our C team would win gold, I'm saying they could with timely play and proper coaching.

Umm.. No it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad