Canada Summer Development Camp Feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak47

May 21, 2004
The more I see Dawes, the more I see a Marty St. Louis clone - fast, agile, elusive, with high level skill. It'll be interesting to see what he does at the next level.

Fehr's skating is very questionable - he lumbers more than strides. When he competes against players of his own size, he could run into some problems.

From the limited ice times that I saw, my team:

F - Carter, Getzlaf, Crosby, Richards, Colliton, Dixon, Stewart, Dawes, Zajac, Bolland, Perry, Wolski.

D - Phaneuf, Coburn, Belle, Seabrook, Barker, Rogers

G - Dubnyk, Munce

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
ak47 said:
The more I see Dawes, the more I see a Marty St. Louis clone - fast, agile, elusive, with high level skill. It'll be interesting to see what he does at the next level.

Fehr's skating is very questionable - he lumbers more than strides. When he competes against players of his own size, he could run into some problems.

From the limited ice times that I saw, my team:

F - Carter, Getzlaf, Crosby, Richards, Colliton, Dixon, Stewart, Dawes, Zajac, Bolland, Perry, Wolski.

D - Phaneuf, Coburn, Belle, Seabrook, Barker, Rogers

G - Dubnyk, Munce

Gotta disagree completely about your comments about Eric Fehr. He is an above-average skater, quite fluid for his size, and has very good hockey sense. Just add some beef and this kid will be a very, very good pro player.

By the way, we've posted more observations on the Oiler site...

CaptainTrev

Jun 2, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Team Red won 2-1 in a shootout after the game was tied 2-2 thru 65. Wojtek Wolski got the winner.

Here are my thoughts on the game, but keep in mind that this is all from the point of view of a very untrained eye and someone who, admittedly, doesn't watch a whole lot of junior hockey.

Marc-Andre Bernier - Skating seems to be a weakness, he has a long stride which gets him where he needs to go at this level, but I think he will need to work on quickness before he goes pro. Has the size and strength to fight through checks effectively, and, judging by this game, the inclination, too.

Travis Zajac - Didn't look at all out of place until about the third period when he was visibly running low on gas. He had absorbed a couple of absolutely crushing hits by that point, though, and endurance issues are probably to be expected for a player jumping straight out of the BCHL. Absolutely on par with the rest of the players in terms of skill.

Devan Dubnyk - I was more impressed than I expected. I'd never seen him play before, and, because of his infamous size, I had a mental image of him being similar to someone like Alex Auld in style - lanky and a bit awkward. However, he doesn't play standup, and he sits fairly low in his stance which would logically seem to be a waste of his large frame. Where his size becomes advantageous, though, is in covering the net low and side-to-side, which he doesn't have to expend much effort to do thanks to long (and quick) legs.

Sidney Crosby - Definitely much more inclined to set up a teammate than to score himself. Is he generous to a fault with the puck? I'd have to watch him play more to know. Really good skater though, and has a knack for weaseling into the seams in the offensive zone.

Clarke MacArthur - Standout in the third period; tied the game for Team White in the third with a goal that was a carbon copy of the curl-and-drag goal that Daniel Sedin scored against Calgary in Game 6 this year, with the exception being that MacArthur's came off the rush, and Danny's was a slow PP setup. (Sorry, Canucks fan reference.) Almost put his team ahead a couple of times after that, too.

Mike Richards - Liked his style, he really had his nose into everything. Created some chances for himself and his teammates with hard work. Not sure about his hands, though.

CaptainTrev

Jun 2, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
sharkyz15 said:
How about Steve Bernier?

Sorry, those were pretty much the only guys I took notice of. Like I said, untrained eye. :dunno: I think I may go to the last game tomorrow, in which case I can keep an eye on him for u (and a few others too, if anyone else has a request)

db23

CaptainTrev said:
Sorry, those were pretty much the only guys I took notice of. Like I said, untrained eye. :dunno: I think I may go to the last game tomorrow, in which case I can keep an eye on him for u (and a few others too, if anyone else has a request)
Kyle Chipchura for Habs fans. Plays for Team White, not sure of his number.

West19

Jul 19, 2004
sharkyz15 said:
Who scored the goals?

For team red, Carter and Crombeen scored and for white it was fehr and MacArthur off of a nasty toe drag. In the shootout Fehr scored again for white and Colin Fraser and wolski (winner) for red

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Anybody noticed that there's a decent chance Canada may have an all first rounder defense squad? Is that unheard of or what? And there's a very good chance it's an all WHL defense squad as well.

Based on the camp so far I'd have to say Phaneuf, Coburn, Belle, Seabrook (all returnees), plus Cam Barker, Rogers, Schultz, Fistric, Weber and Green (all 1st rounders save Weber who was a 2003 2nd) would be my favourites to pick the squad from. Saunders and Picard have a chance I guess but I tend to think it might be all WHL flavour this year.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
I went on Saturday, I noticed Dawes, he was flying around. Quick and elusive. He looks like he is buddy's with Stewart, but man is he short. The top of his head was in line with the top of Stewarts shoulder. They both sat right next to me after the first session, Stewart is a clown type, and they both overkill the cologne.

Wolski seemed extra small and skinny.

Ryan Getzlaf's little cousin or brother wiped out and smacked his head on the concrete. Bonk.

There are so many players it's hard to follow them all.

Dubnyk looked really good in practice, quick glove hand.

Levitate said:
how's nigel dawes looking?

noticed no one's mentioned him, but he scored a goal in the last game at least...just wonderin what people think of him. is he at least looking pretty good?

CaptainTrev

Jun 2, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Watched the third Intersquad Game (Team Red vs. Team White) at the WJC Development Camp here in Calgary.
Not sure of the final score, because I left a little early to beat traffic, but thought I'd share a couple more points I picked up on. My observations definitely weren't up to snuff today, because in the second period I unwittingly ended up standing right beside ex-Flames GM Craig Button and one of his scouting buddies and I spent most of my attention trying to pick up anything I could that they were saying. The ******* said things like "Listen, what I really think about him is..." and "You know who the best dman out there is..." and then move in closer to his buddy and speak real quiet so I couldn't hear!
Anyway...

M-A Bernier - As I thought yesterday, this kid will have to work on his skating to "make the jump" His top-end speed was on par with everyone out there, but his acceleration is just painful to watch. Button and his buddy mentioned a couple of times that his puck pursuit/battling were weak. The scout also said "he'd score you 50-60 goals, and they'd all come in 6-1 games."

Sidney Crosby - For the second game in a row, he went directly after Dion Phaneuf after the whistle, and in this case appeared to almost drop the gloves with him before Jeremy Colliton stepped in. Other than that, an iffy game from what I saw, really nothing special.

Dion Phaneuf - Got ejected for his scrap with Jeremy Colliton in the 2nd (I think). Pretty much comes as advertised, good puck mover, gets hard shots on net. He had a forward from Team Red get halfway through a 'thru the legs' deke on him before knocking the guy's ass down with a straight-ahead bodycheck. Phaneuf did seem to lose his positioning a little bit in his own end at times when the other team would work the puck around the outside.

Kyle Chipchura - Didn't get a good look, but he seemed pretty all-around solid. Scored a pretty good SH goal in which he went one one one with the dman and seemed to suck the goalie (Kevin Nastiuk) into thinking he was going to peel back and keep control of the puck before ripping a shot from the faceoff dot, thru the dman's legs and over Nastiuk's glove hand. That made the score 5-1 I believe, and I heard Button say "it looks like they're into Nastiuk's kitchen now"

Braydon Coburn - Again, didn't manage to see a lot of him, but he doesn't seem overly inclined to lay on the body. Got a shot blocked on the PP and I heard Button say "A good defenseman would get that shot through"

Clarke MacArthur - Just kept showing up when you least expected it, forechecking, setting up goals (set up Eric Fehr for a goal on a 2 on 1) and generally being a pain in the butt.

Other notes
- Eric Fehr scored a breakaway goal right out of the penalty box (on a beauty of a bank pass from Nigel Dawes) and was then rammed into end the boards by the trailing dman, Braydon Coburn. Fehr was down on the ice for a mintue or two, and went to the bench holding his right hand/wrist, but didn't go to the dressing room.
- I hope Nigel Dawes can overcome his size (and maybe skill) limitations to make the NHL, because he was the smartest player out there, bar none.
- Mike Richards looks better offensively than I expected after reading comparisons to Mike Ricci (although he was expected to be more of a scorer, too)
- Travis Zajac is obviously still getting accustomed to the higher tempo. I don't think anyone was expecting him to jump straight to the NHL, but if you were, forget about it.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
It was Colin Fraser (Phaneuf's Red Deer teammate) not Jeremy Colliton that he scrapped with. Here's what appeared to happen. Phaneuf hit and/or badgered Crosby a few times in the game previously (during play and after the whistle). On this incident, for whatever reason (Phaneuf was assessed a high-sticking penalty which I didn't see) Crosby gave Phaneuf a little stick to the groin after the whistle. To this, Phaneuf proceeded to shove down Crosby's head and crush his torso right in front of the gate to Crosby's bench. The nearby red team all came after Phaneuf, especially Colin Fraser who it seems was initially on the bench. After exchanging some blows with Phaneuf from the bench Fraser, who was right beside the gate anyway came onto the ice for a bonafide fight. Phaneuf controlled the fight easily but seemed to let up a little on the punches aimed for his buddy. Both went sent off on game misconducts and happily joined the team at games end for pictures. But it seems like Phaneuf doesn't like Crosby or maybe just wants to let him know that he can't get away with his pretty stuff. FWIW, Crosby didn't look great at all the entire game.

Final score: White 7 Red 1

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Eric Fehr was by far the best player on the ice with two goals. Very smart, two way player with great sniping abilities.

Funny, I gave Fraser a slight edge in the tussle with Phaneuf. Noticeable throughout camp that Crosby was targetted for 'extra attention' or questionable play as evident by run ins with Phaneuf, Barker, Fistric, Stevenson to name a few.

I really liked the play of Dustin Boyd who was a whirling dervish for the whole game -skating, hitting, and going full out on every shift. Liked the work of Jeff Schultz who looks like a keeper.

Nigel Dawes works hard and gets his nose dirty despite his size. Very good skill guy. Chipchura had a solid game with a goal and strong two-way play.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
How fast did MacArthur look? I know he's gotten bigger, was wondering if he has enough speed to be just as effective in the NHL even without being big.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Moskau said:
How fast did MacArthur look? I know he's gotten bigger, was wondering if he has enough speed to be just as effective in the NHL even without being big.

He doesn't look that small, nor that slow. I don't think either are a huge concern at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad