Canada Russia Final again?

Joretus

I wouldn't count America out just yet. They have momentum and have been embarrassed already. They have nothing to lose and they have the firepower to beat anyone if they get the bounces early. If they make the semis, watch out.

I would. Reason for that is schedule. They will have less than 24hours to recover, while Canada(and in other semifinal Russia) will be totally fresh. Bit too favouring schedule for group firsts. One game rest should be enough and not needing things like that as addition imho.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I would. Reason for that is schedule. They will have less than 24hours to recover, while Canada(and in other semifinal Russia) will be totally fresh. Bit too favouring schedule for group firsts. One game rest should be enough and not needing things like that as addition imho.

I totally agree with that, but I guess they want to favor the group winners. Cause in adult worldchempionships and Olympics everyone is playing mix and match and don't always win their group when they can, to avoid an opponent whom they think uncomfortable.

Joretus

Yankees - Red Sox about 30 mil care about it, Russia - Canada about 200 million people, oh u loose baseball luving freak:)

And actually football have more greater rivalries. Ie. Germany-England. Argentina-Brazil, etc. Some baseball rivalries are veryveryvery small compared to those kind of rivalries.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
And actually football have more greater rivalries. Ie. Germany-England. Argentina-Brazil, etc. Some baseball rivalries are veryveryvery small compared to those kind of rivalries.

Well, if you count every single Russian, Canadian, Argentinian, Brazilian, British, German, then Rus-Can approx =Arg-Brz > Eng-Ger. Of course there are quite fewer Russians who sincerely care about hockey then those in the other 4 countries who do about football.

Joretus

Well, if you count every single Russian, Canadian, Argentinian, Brazilian, British, German, then Rus-Can approx =Arg-Brz > Eng-Ger. Of course there are quite fewer Russians who sincerely care about hockey then those in the other 4 countries who do about football.

Yeah, the point is hockey isn't so big thing in Russia. And hockey is even smaller in the world as well. There is soooo much fans in all over world who are rooting for ie. Brazil or Argentina in football. Who aren't from those countries. And while those are playing WHOLE country does stop and they are just watching those games.

My point was simple that baseball rivalries are very marginal compared to some other sport rivalries.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
Well, if compare England - Germany and Russia - Canadaб I should notice, that England - Germany exists many years, while Russia - Canada 35 years. Nevertheless, saturation of events is much higher in Russia - Canada, because hockey national teams play often and football teams do not.
Also, Russia - Canada is an opposition of two systems. Сommunism vs capitalism, east vs west etc..

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Yeah, Russia-Canada rivalry is only the biggest in sports if hockey is the only sport you watch. Even then, I think this rivalry is fairly lopsided because I don't think the Russians dislike Canada anywhere near as much as Canada dislikes Russia..

Soccer is the biggest sport in the world so the biggest sports rivalry also has to come from soccer whether it's Argentina-Brazil, England-Germany, England-France or whoever else..

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
the fact that Canada doesn't win this tournament every year is pretty humiliating IMO

Canada has 10 times the talent of any other country

espo*

the fact that Canada doesn't win this tournament every year is pretty humiliating IMO

oh yeah,real humiliating.

nothing to stir up in your daily life today? easier to do here for sure.

That's your thing.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
Yeah, Russia-Canada rivalry is only the biggest in sports if hockey is the only sport you watch. Even then, I think this rivalry is fairly lopsided because I don't think the Russians dislike Canada anywhere near as much as Canada dislikes Russia..

Soccer is the biggest sport in the world so the biggest sports rivalry also has to come from soccer whether it's Argentina-Brazil, England-Germany, England-France or whoever else..

Russia/Canada is special because they are by far the clearly the two greatest hockey nations in terms of talent. In soccer you have Brazil by itself with 10 other countries that are all on the same level.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
it's weird because Russia doesn't have more talent than countries like Sweden, Finland or the Czech Republic

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
it's weird because Russia doesn't have more talent than countries like Sweden, Finland or the Czech Republic

Depedns what you call talent. Russians are definetly the best stickhanndlers, best skaters. Russians are much worse at team play, goaltending, special teams. It took the world many-many years to figure out how to beat the Russians, and for the most part it's not 'cause the world has players that are more talented, but because they weapon was devised how to throw Russians off their game. And the key is to make Russian players to decide the outcome of the game individualy, rather than as a whole. While Russians are good enough to skate through 1,2 and sometimes more players as a time, there's always a next one who will take the puck away...

Just my 2 cents.

As for Finnland, 10-12 years ago they were just good enough to beat everybody but the good teams and lost to the bigs of the world on regular bases. They never really produce big time players, but as of late they learned how to produce big time teams, not without the help of the Russians, but that's normal, as we got good at hockey thanks to the Chehs.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC

So the Chinese should win every single gold medals in gymnastic? And why aren't the Brazilians winning every World Cup? How about Russians winning every single events in figure skating? I mean with such talent pool, everyone should be perfect, all the time.

Last edited:

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Depedns what you call talent. Russians are definetly the best stickhanndlers, best skaters. Russians are much worse at team play, goaltending, special teams. It took the world many-many years to figure out how to beat the Russians, and for the most part it's not 'cause the world has players that are more talented, but because they weapon was devised how to throw Russians off their game. And the key is to make Russian players to decide the outcome of the game individualy, rather than as a whole. While Russians are good enough to skate through 1,2 and sometimes more players as a time, there's always a next one who will take the puck away...

Just my 2 cents.

As for Finnland, 10-12 years ago they were just good enough to beat everybody but the good teams and lost to the bigs of the world on regular bases. They never really produce big time players, but as of late they learned how to produce big time teams, not without the help of the Russians, but that's normal, as we got good at hockey thanks to the Chehs.

Funny you say that about the Russians.

Back in the day when the Russians first started to really compete with Canada in hockey some of the so called hockey experts suggested it was because they excelled in team play and the Canadians were more like a put together All-Star Team.
Of course back then the Russians all played for the Red Army and the Canadians (same as today) came together from NHL Teams.
I think back then it was more of a case of Canada not yet quite ready for the realization that they could be beaten at Hockey.

That said I find it ironic the Russians being knocked for the same reason.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
To be honest, this is not a very captivating edition. Only because there are no powerhouses out there, and the offensive talent level is not as high as in previous years, when AO, Malkin, Crosby, Bergeron, Kessel, and co. were showcased.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad