Canada Russia Final again?

Vodka*

Canada- Russia/USSR is the biggest rivalry in all of sports as far as Im concerned. Its gonna be a good one eh boys?

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Talking about international hockey with a Canadian, you can't expect a rational and unbiased conversation. It might happen, but rarely does.
Yeah, as if Euros are not biased :shakehead. It's easy to say such things against Canadians when you're on the other side. If you ask me, both sides are biased. Only a minority can see without their tinted glasses.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think Canada has looked that strong actually IMO. They haven't looked as good offensively, although defense and goaltending seem good.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Nothing? Ovechkin and Malkin had a silver-medal around their neck.

Honestly, I hate silver medals in team sports. Because, you don't win silver, you lose gold. There is always two happy teams and one disapointed team on the podium every year. So for me, silver is nothing. Still, it's a good achievement, but I don't think nobody is really happy about "winning" silver.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Honestly, I hate silver medals in team sports. Because, you don't win silver, you lose gold. There is always two happy teams and one disapointed team on the podium every year. So for me, silver is nothing. Still, it's a good achievement, but I don't think nobody is really happy about "winning" silver.

Exactly.

Looking back on my playing days, I'm actually more fond of 3rd place finishes than 2nd place ones.

Even today I can't look at my 2nd place trophies without cringing and thinking 'what if'.:biglaugh:

Kaktus*

Well I know how you felt when Russians were winning 2 straight WJC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogbert*

I would love to see another Canada and Russia final with Canada beating them for the their third straight gold medal of course ;)

Every Canadian wants this... except, of course, for any who might be moderating this section of the board.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I honestly think Canada will face Russia in the final.I dont see any of the other teams upsetting them along the way.Of course its not over til its over but from what i've seen it will end up that way.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Thank you! I never compared Latendresse to Malkin and I didn't brought Latendresse's name first. Some frustrated Russian did because I have Latendresse's avatar and because I just remembered him that we destroyed them two years in a row, despite the fact they had the best player outside the NHL both times.

You can have all the best players in the world, if you have no decent goalie you will get destroyed... and that's what happend in Russia's case. :teach:

lilooet*

I wouldn't count America out just yet. They have momentum and have been embarrassed already. They have nothing to lose and they have the firepower to beat anyone if they get the bounces early. If they make the semis, watch out.

Kaktus*

I wouldn't count America out just yet. They have momentum and have been embarrassed already. They have nothing to lose and they have the firepower to beat anyone if they get the bounces early. If they make the semis, watch out.
bla bla bla... I hear that in every WJC. They have that many first round player on their team.. bla bla bl Do not count out USA, they have momentum. I believe it when I see it. First beat Finland who unlike Swedes know how to shot the puck and then it will get even tougher.
Give it a rest. If USA has momentum imagine what Finland Czech, Sweden have, not to mention Russia and Canada (especially Canadians that haven't lost in single game in 3 years) .

Last edited by a moderator:

jaydub*

bla bla bla... I hear that in every WJC. They have that many first round player on their team.. bla bla bl Do not count out USA, they have momentum. I believe it when I see it. First beat Finland who unlike Swedes know how to shot the puck and then it will get even tougher.
Give it a rest. If USA has momentum imagine what Finland Czech, Sweden have, not to mention Russia and Canada (especially Canadians that haven't lost in single game in 3 years) .

whoever told you USA had momentum last year going into medal rounds must have not been too intelligent

animalchin

Jan 20, 2005
The Long Road
People on both sides of this discussion who discredit the accomplishments of the other side are being childish. Both Russia and Canada have storied pasts in hockey.

That said, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Canada beat Russia the last couple years...and was devastated when they lost to Russia.

This is ultimately the best rivalry in hockey for sure. Canada US is second...but pales in comparison - even though I think both Canadians and Russians seem to enjoy (at least I do) seeing the US struggle and/or lose.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Yeah, as if Euros are not biased :shakehead. It's easy to say such things against Canadians when you're on the other side. If you ask me, both sides are biased. Only a minority can see without their tinted glasses.

Pretty much everyone is biased, it's not about that. And I didn't mean to generalize, I just couldn't resist.

It's about admitting someone elses merits, and I think certain Canadian individuals are worse at that than most other people. Even if you have a favorite (team, player, whatever) you should always be able to recognise and credit others for their accomplishments as well.

For example, I hate Sidney Crosby a lot. I can't stand him, but I do recognise his talent and accomplishments. I don't make claims like "Sidney Crosby has done nothing and will ever do nothing and has no talent because Ovechkin is superior because he won the Calder last year"

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
You can have all the best players in the world, if you have no decent goalie you will get destroyed... and that's what happend in Russia's case. :teach:

This year they don't have the star players like past few years, but this year it might actually be the goalie that gets them what they came for in the end.

Canada is still the favorite in my opinion, but none of the teams this year have seemed that superior to me and anything could happen in a short tournament like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad