Canada Russia Final again?

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
During the game yesterday, TSN announcers kept mentioning that USA is Canada's biggest rival. While there is a natural cross border rivalry that might drive this opinion, Russia is Canada's true number one rival and until another nation dominates like Canada and Russia do at this level, nobody else should even be mentioned. I realize that the US has improved their program dramatically over the past decade, but the results speak for themselves. Since the WJC changed the tournament format in 1996 so that teams play each other for the Gold (rather then best record vs everyone), the teams in the medal round are as follows over those 11 years ...

Team G (Gold) S (Silver) B (Bronze) F (Fourth)
CAN 4G 4S 2B 0F (10 medals in 10 appearances)
RUS 3G 4S 2B 0F (9 medals in 9 appearances)
FIN 1G 1S 4B 0F (6 medals in 6 appearances)
CZE 2G 0S 1B 4F (3 medals in 7 appearances)
USA 1G 1S 0B 4F (2 medals in 6 appearances)
SWE 0G 1S 0B 2F (1 medal in 3 appearances)
SUI 0G 0S 1B 1F (1 medal in 2 appearances)
SLV 0G 0S 1B 0F (1 medal in 1 appearance)

Russia will win their pool and the rested team always has an advantage over their opponent in the semis. Even though hockey experts have stated that USA and Sweden are the top contenders to dethrone the defending champs, I fully expect to see another classic Canada/Russia final.

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
During the game yesterday, TSN announcers kept mentioning that USA is Canada's biggest rival. While there is a natural cross border rivalry that might drive this opinion, Russia is Canada's true number one rival and until another nation dominates like Canada and Russia do at this level, nobody else should even be mentioned. I realize that the US has improved their program dramatically over the past decade, but the results speak for themselves. Since the WJC changed the tournament format in 1996 so that teams play each other for the Gold (rather then best record vs everyone), the teams in the medal round are as follows over those 11 years ...

Team G (Gold) S (Silver) B (Bronze) F (Fourth)
CAN 4G 4S 2B 0F (10 medals in 10 appearances)
RUS 3G 4S 2B 0F (9 medals in 9 appearances)
FIN 1G 1S 4B 0F (6 medals in 6 appearances)
CZE 2G 0S 1B 4F (3 medals in 7 appearances)
USA 1G 1S 0B 4F (2 medals in 6 appearances)
SWE 0G 1S 0B 2F (1 medal in 3 appearances)
SUI 0G 0S 1B 1F (1 medal in 2 appearances)
SLV 0G 0S 1B 0F (1 medal in 1 appearance)

Russia will win their pool and the rested team always has an advantage over their opponent in the semis. Even though hockey experts have stated that USA and Sweden are the top contenders to dethrone the defending champs, I fully expect to see another classic Canada/Russia final.

Classic??? Yea right. You mean the 5-0 drubbing of the russians last year. get out of here. maybe eons ago.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Or the 6-1 massacre the year before. Note that in 2005 they had Ovechkin, Malkin and Semin and that in 2006 they had Malkin. Quite an impressive feat to destroy teams with good players like that on them!
They did not have Semin, get your facts strait...But Canada had Latendresse last year so we had no chance from the get go, even with Malkin :sarcasm:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
They did not have Semin, get your facts strait...But Canada had Latendresse last year so we had no chance from the get go, even with Malkin :sarcasm:

Semin wasn't there in 05? You are sure?

Even if he played on the bench, Latendresse has a gold medal around his neck at-least... :sarcasm: Ovechkin and Malkin have NOTHING! Best players outside the NHL my ***...

george_rules*

Even if he played on the bench, Latendresse has a gold medal around his neck at-least... :sarcasm: Ovechkin and Malkin have NOTHING! Best players outside the NHL my ***...

then who were/was? lattendresse? i dont get it

VladNYC*

Oh please, Lats would be in the AHL if he wasn't french or on another team.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

Wow.

You just keep posting nonsense in this thread, don't you? First of all, Semin didn't play in '05 as he is born in '84.

Second of all, Ovechkin has a gold medal as he played for Russia at the 2003 World Juniors where they beat guess who.. Canada.

Malkin has 2 silver medals. They may not be gold, but you can't say that's nothing especially considering he dominated in both '05 and '06 tournaments.

And what does Russia losing to Canada have to do with Ovechkin and Malkin being the best players outside the NHL?? Perhaps you could think of somebody better than them during that time period?

And lastly, just a reminder. in 2002, Russia was down to Canada 2:0, made it 2:1 only to fall back 3:1 but then came back to take the gold 5:4. In 2003 it was a rematch and this time on Canada's home soil in Halifax where Russia once again took gold and this despite Fleury's heroics in Canada's net.

So what now? When Russia wins 2 golds in a row, it's nothing, but when Canada does it, it's a big deal?

In the last 5 years, Russia has 2 golds and 2 silvers compared to Canada's 2 golds and 3 silvers. The difference is huge, isn't it?

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
I agree. While Russia has generally been abysmal in international play over the past fifteen years (every Olympics there's a lot of promise and a lot of disappointment, World Championships, etc) - in World Junior championships they have been strong. I remember a good 2002 final, I think, which ended 5:4 for the Russians in a controversial but dramatic tournament. Things like that aren't easily forgotten..

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
In the last 5 years, Russia has 2 golds and 2 silvers compared to Canada's 2 golds and 3 silvers. The difference is huge, isn't it?

Talking about international hockey with a Canadian, you can't expect a rational and unbiased conversation. It might happen, but rarely does.

Kaktus*

Don Cherry is this really you?

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Maybe the quarterfinal though...

I hope not, even though nothing is more satisfying than beating Sweden. I just think that it would go the other way around this year...

I'm still hoping Finland wins the group so that so they don't have to plat in the quarterfinals...

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Hey, I'm never sold on Russia untill our boys make it to the finals. The problem with Russian hockey is the lack of physicality and slow paced game (due to big rinks there's always time to think and make the best play), while on a small NA rink u have to do everything very fast.

As for abismal showings, there's not a single team in the world that misses top of crop talent every big tournament. We never played the best team possible since probably 87 or so... Only that cursed WorldChempionship in St. Petersburgh, where Russians thought they can win, while sleeping on ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad