Canada names roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

Good point about Kariya versus Tanguay.I would like to see Tanguay there,as you said,getting him the experience would be nice....good player too.All things being equal however( if Kariya was playing hockey this year) i'd rather him then Tanguay.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:
Canada and the Czech Republic look like the paper favorites for this tournament. Finland will put up the best pound-for-pound performance as usual. Russia and the USA could go either way. Both teams have good enough lineups to do well but seem like the most likely teams to crash and burn. I'm not too familiar with what Sweden's team will look like at the moment. Their chances depend a lot on who's playing.

Fair points. As for the U.S. squad, alot is going to depend on whether Conklin is as good as last year, the defense can hold down the fort, and the offense can play to its strengths, which is speed and puck movement. This team can indeed go either way.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Sorry guys, but I haven't been keeping up with hockey (it's amazing to learn the sun actually starts to shine this time of year as opposed to watching NHL all the time....).

A couple of questions about missing players for Canada. I know about the other big names (Sakic, Iginla, etc), but were these 3 guys asked?

Jay Bouwmeester
Derek Morris
Eric Brewer

Did they refuse, or injured, or playing, or what?

Also, it's tough to crack the line-up we've got, but Rob Niedermayer was our 2nd best forward last year, after Heatley. He was built for that ice surface - too bad he's not rewarded for that effort.

I might have also added Karya - it's too early to write that guy off, and this team is lacking pure skill up front (Heater, Joe T, Nash and Gagne makes 4 of 12). This may have been the jump-start he needs (although most people said that about going to Denver....).

Bottom line though, it's a dang good team.

Go CANADA!!!!

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Rocky Saginuts said:
A couple of questions about missing players for Canada. I know about the other big names (Sakic, Iginla, etc), but were these 3 guys asked?

Jay Bouwmeester
Derek Morris
Eric Brewer

Did they refuse, or injured, or playing, or what?

I know Bouwmeester is in the AHL playoffs which is why he isn't going.

As for Morris and Brewer, I assume they were asked, and I'm pretty sure that neither of them are injured. I guess they just didn't want to play.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Roughneck said:
I know Bouwmeester is in the AHL playoffs which is why he isn't going.

As for Morris and Brewer, I assume they were asked, and I'm pretty sure that neither of them are injured. I guess they just didn't want to play.

Thanks. Too bad about Morris and Brewer. Those guys should be staples of the CDN defence for the next 10 years. Refusals like this (if that's what it is), do not reflect well for future tourneys :confused: - ie. OLYMPICS!

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I have not seen Morris' name in the articles I have read. Based on this article Link , it appears Brewer was invited and said no.

Someone already answered about Jay B.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Thanks. Too bad about Morris and Brewer. Those guys should be staples of the CDN defence for the next 10 years. Refusals like this (if that's what it is), do not reflect well for future tourneys - ie. OLYMPICS!

I have to disagree, those 2 are hardly "staples" of the future of Canada's defence. IMO those guys are sometimes guys. They will get the invite to a few WC, MAYBE the next Olympics, MAYBE, and then their window will close and IMO they willbe supplanted by better players.
JAY B. is the kind of guy who will be there for a decade or more.....

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I really want Draper Thornton Doan line reunited they were pure energy and offense.

my lineup assuming Bertuzzi takes the extra spot

Nash Marleau Heatley
Draper Thornton Doan
Gagne Morrison Bertuzzi
Smyth Fisher Morrow

4 even lines I think that 4th line might be the grittiest line ever created.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
bert said:
I really want Draper Thornton Doan line reunited they were pure energy and offense.

my lineup assuming Bertuzzi takes the extra spot

Nash Marleau Heatley
Draper Thornton Doan
Gagne Morrison Bertuzzi
Smyth Fisher Morrow

4 even lines I think that 4th line might be the grittiest line ever created.

My question is... why did they pick Fisher instead of Peca?

Smyth - Fisher - Morrow is an exceptional fourth line, but Smyth - Peca - Morrow would be even better.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Fisher is 24 not 31 thats why he got the nodd plus he is an exceptional skater and will be very good on the big ice.

Fisher isnt as good an open ice hitter as Peca, he isnt as good a leader (yet when Alfredsson retires he will be the captain) but he is faster stronger and works harder. He creates more offense but finishes less.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
A very, very weak offensive team. This team will have to grind it out. And you cannot grind it on big ice surface.

This has to be one of the worst lineups since the early 90's, when Canada sent bad teams to the Worlds and finished around 5th all the time.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
deandebean said:
A very, very weak offensive team. This team will have to grind it out. And you cannot grind it on big ice surface.

When you look at the rosters Canada's offense is clearly the best. Maybe the Czech could have something to say but Canada is more skilled up front than any team in this tournament.

Nash, Thornton, Heatley, Marleau, Doan, Gagne, Morrison, Smyth, possibly Bertuzzi. Those guys are very, very skilled.

And most grinders in Team Canada has great wheels. So who cares about the big ice.

Victory Ali*

Hmm... that team seems to lack experience and heart :dunno:

I am underwhelmed by the roster.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
bert said:
I really want Draper Thornton Doan line reunited they were pure energy and offense

Have to disagree with you there mate.

IMO, Thornton was the MVP of the WCup. Why didn't he win? Well...it was the 75 times he tossed a Euroboy aside behind the net and put the puck on Doan's tape in the slot, only to have Doaner gooble with it.

Thornton's a thorobred and deserves to be the go-to guy on this team - not put on an "energy line". Put him with Nash and there'll be some fireworks!!!!!!!!!! :propeller

Last edited:

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Wondercarrot said:
I have to disagree, those 2 are hardly "staples" of the future of Canada's defence. IMO those guys are sometimes guys. They will get the invite to a few WC, MAYBE the next Olympics, MAYBE, and then their window will close and IMO they willbe supplanted by better players.
JAY B. is the kind of guy who will be there for a decade or more.....

Yeah, 10 years is probably pushing it, but I see them both in that 2nd tier of CDN Dmen.

Tier 1 is Pronger, Neidermeyer, Blake, and Jovo
Tier 2 is Regehr, Hannan, Brewer and Morris
Tier 3 is Redden (never dug that dude...), Souray, Foote (due to age only), McCabe, Phillips, etc.

Neidermeyer will make way for Jay Bo in the next few years. Blake will be replaced by Phaneuf. Pronger's knees are almost shot.

That still leaves the Tier 2's for a few years yet.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
About the initial line projections, I think you're likely to see the Maltby-Draper-Doan line held together as our grind line. Those guys were great at the WHC last year.

A fourth line with Morrow-Marleau-Fisher would be a great to boost the team, especially on the big ice.

I guess it depends on whether Bert makes it in, if he doesn't look for whomever they pick to sit.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
SeattleCloutierFan said:

Nash-Thornton-Heatley
Smyth-Morrison-Doan
Gagne-Marleau-Morrow
Maltby-Draper-Fisher

Jovanovski-Regehr
Redden-Hannan
Souray-Phillips

Brodeur-Luongo

If you are underwhelme by this team u must have been underwhelmed by the ones who won gold 2 years in a row because the were not even close to this team. We beat a Sweden team with their 5 superstar 2years in a row (Sundin the first gold, alfredsson,Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Forsberg)
A canadian team never lacks heart homie :yo:
To those who says we are weak offensively, we have 4 lines that can score.

Lalonde

Aug 20, 2004
Hey,I'm a big fan of Team Canada and I like this roster (finally Rick Nash! :) ) but I'm a little worry with that because there are many players who haven't played this season. For example,what about goalies Brodeur and Luongo?Has anyone of them played this year in a serious level? As I know, not.:huh:

Good luck to Canada anyway. :yo:

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Catcher.In.The.RyE said:
Why nobody named Paul Kariya? The guy had one bad season, but damn he is still one of the fastest skater in the world and what a playmaker he is...

I know this is a bit of a longshot because of Canada's great depth, but if you're speculating on Paul Kariya, then why not his brother Steve? Paul hasn't played all year, but Steve had a great season here in Finland. He won the scoring title with 59 points in 55 games. Of course he's not, and never will be, a superstar like Paul, but he's now used to the big rinks and he's got pretty good speed, skills and a big heart. He just lacks size and strength, which is not necessarily such a major obstacle in World Championships, especially if he has some bigger linemates to do the dirty work.

espo*

deandebean said:

This has to be one of the worst lineups since the early 90's, when Canada sent bad teams to the Worlds and finished around 5th all the time.
Not true,they were a lightweight offensive team last year and they grinded it out to win it all,you can grind out victory at the worlds for sure,they just finished doing it in 2004.Having said that,it is also not true this is a lightweight offensive team,this team can score,maybe not with the elan and style of other teams but can score nontheless,if they gel as lines they will score goals for sure and plenty of them.Heatley,thronton,Nash,morrison,Gagane,Doan etc....those guys can put the puck in the net.Add on the defense which is very formidable and the best goasltending in the tournament and i'm sure every opponent has their game with Canada marked off as usual.Trust me,no team in that tournament feels the way you do about Canada's line-up,they know they are good and definatley not "lightweight" by any stretch of the imagination.

espo*

SeattleCloutierFan said:

We hear that a lot and then the tournaments begin and we change their minds as always.I'm always taken aback at anyone who discounts a Canadian team before the games begin,especially on reasons concerning heart,there is at least one intangible you usually never have to worry about with Canadian teams. It is Canada after all and this is hockey,how bad can they really be? If the talent gels it should be a formidable squad as always.

espo*

jcpenny said:
Nash-Thornton-Heatley
Smyth-Morrison-Doan
Gagne-Marleau-Morrow
Maltby-Draper-Fisher

Jovanovski-Regehr
Redden-Hannan
Souray-Phillips

Brodeur-Luongo

If you are underwhelme by this team u must have been underwhelmed by the ones who won gold 2 years in a row because the were not even close to this team. We beat a Sweden team with their 5 superstar 2years in a row (Sundin the first gold, alfredsson,Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Forsberg)
A canadian team never lacks heart homie :yo:
To those who says we are weak offensively, we have 4 lines that can score.
These guys always learn the hard way brother.No heart and not talented,lol.....can you imagine? Ya just gotta have a chuckle eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad