Canada is by far best International team

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Stop repeating useless excuses. Looking at the roster, I don't know how you can say that. And you are assuming that Russia had all of its best.

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
Canadian fans are hilarious, before a big tournament you'll see posts about how we could send 2 or 3 teams and win all the medals, then if we lose, its excuse time, 'oh we didn't have this player or that player'... boo hoo. :cry:

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Our bests? Nah, certainly not. We had the opportunity to send our best players but our management screwed everything. Crosby, Staal and Spezza weren't invited, what a shame...
Well then no team will ever have their best. There's always someone out with an injury or the flu. So we should never count any win against Canada because one or two of your best players aren't playing?

Sweden won without Nylander and Näslund and had we lost you wouldn't see anyone saying we didn't send our best.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
wow! I’m REALLY enheartened to read fellow Canadians dissing the ’87 “win†(as a Canadian, I totally agree). in fact I just watched it last night on DVD and that was a shameful display as far as I’m concerned (despite all the talent on the team) and even the announcers were mentioning it during the game.

I grew up in Canada but lived in the States the last 25 years and recently became disgusted at their arrogant “we’re ALWAYS right, and everybody else is Always wrong†attitude towards world affairs. and then I came back to Canada to find many Canadians with the exact same blind & ignorant arrogance about hockey as the neo-cons have about their manifest destiny. Canadians pompously sit around badmouthing Americans as the personification of evil, and meanwhile WE send a todd bertuzzi to represent us!

there’s really only been 3 competitions where all the world’s best players have played –the 3 “pro†Olympics – ’98, ’02, ‘06. Canada didn’t even medal in 2 of the 3 of them – not even a 3rd-place bronze! not even in contention. the Toronto Maple Leafs of international hockey – loud arrogant losers.

Canada won ’72 by 1 goal – and then won only 1 single game out of 8 in ’74.

yep, Canada won in ’76, and then promptly lost in both ’79 and ’81. (and the freakin U.S. wins the Olympics!)

the World Championship in 2005 when there was no NHL and everyone was available – Canada loses again, in fact shut-out in their final game against the Czechs withOUT Hasek!

anyway, I’m very glad to read fellow Canadians and others pointing out to the don cherry neo-cons that their Canadian hockey arrogance is grossly inflated.

there are a half-dozen great hockey nations in the world, and Canada is One of them. and that’s pretty darn good.

Rather Gingerly 1*

wow! I’m REALLY enheartened to read fellow Canadians dissing the ’87 “win†(as a Canadian, I totally agree). in fact I just watched it last night on DVD and that was a shameful display as far as I’m concerned (despite all the talent on the team) and even the announcers were mentioning it during the game.

I grew up in Canada but lived in the States the last 25 years and recently became disgusted at their arrogant “we’re ALWAYS right, and everybody else is Always wrong†attitude towards world affairs. and then I came back to Canada to find many Canadians with the exact same blind & ignorant arrogance about hockey as the neo-cons have about their manifest destiny. Canadians pompously sit around badmouthing Americans as the personification of evil, and meanwhile WE send a todd bertuzzi to represent us!

there’s really only been 3 competitions where all the world’s best players have played –the 3 “pro†Olympics – ’98, ’02, ‘06. Canada didn’t even medal in 2 of the 3 of them – not even a 3rd-place bronze! not even in contention. the Toronto Maple Leafs of international hockey – loud arrogant losers.

Canada won ’72 by 1 goal – and then won only 1 single game out of 8 in ’74.

yep, Canada won in ’76, and then promptly lost in both ’79 and ’81. (and the freakin U.S. wins the Olympics!)

the World Championship in 2005 when there was no NHL and everyone was available – Canada loses again, in fact shut-out in their final game against the Czechs withOUT Hasek!

anyway, I’m very glad to read fellow Canadians and others pointing out to the don cherry neo-cons that their Canadian hockey arrogance is grossly inflated.

there are a half-dozen great hockey nations in the world, and Canada is One of them. and that’s pretty darn good.

Canada has lost the odd tournament but won by far the majority.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
this might help . . .

Summary -- 22 series in 34 years

Soviets - 1972 Olympics
Canada - 1972 Summit Series (NHL)
Soviets - 1974 Summit Series (WHA)
Soviets - 1976 Olympics
Canada - 1976 Canada Cup
Soviets - 1979 Challenge Cup
USA - 1980 Olympics
Soviets - 1981 Canada Cup
Soviets - 1984 Olympics
Canada - 1984 Canada Cup
tie - 1987 Rendez-Vous Series
Canada - 1987 Canada Cup
Soviets - 1988 Olympics
Canada - 1991 Canada Cup
Soviets -- 1992 Olympics
Sweden -- 1994 Olympics
USA -- 1996 “World†Cup
Czechs -- 1998 Olympics
Canada -- 2002 Olympics
Canada -- 2004 “World†Cup
Czechs -- 2005 World Championship
Sweden -- 2006 Olympics

8 Soviets
7 Canada
2 Sweden (’94 & ’06)
2 Czechs (’98 & ’05)
2 USA (’80 & ’96)
1 tie (’87)

espo*

LOL.You're counting their olympic wins Stachs?

How long was it you said you spent outside Canada again? I just want to get a ballpark figure on how long it takes for a Canadian fan to get so totally out of touch with hockey history reality.

Jazz

Yeah, really... Then you should not count any medals since 90-x, because best Russians were not there...
Why not? Best Russians were there in '02, '04, '06, etc..
Mogilniy, Zubov, Fedorov, Khabibulin? All were there ?
Different issue - those Russians were available and allowed to play if they wanted to. Prior to the 1988 Olympics in Calgary, the top Canadians were NOT allowed to play - and the NHL finally closed down for the games in '98.

FYI - Khabibulin played in '02 (and I think Fedorov did as well) - in fact, most of the available players chose to play in '02 since the team was being coached by Fetisov, Yurzinov and Tretiak.

EDIT: yes, Fedorov was also on that team. Here was the Russian roster: Yegor Podomatsky, Danny Markov, Alexei Kovalev, Vladimir Malakhov, Alexei Zhamnov, Sergei Gonchar, Darius Kasparaitis, Pavel Datsyuk, Igor Kravchuk, Oleg Tverdovsky, Pavel Bure, Igor Larionov, Sergei Fedorov, Alexei Yashin, Nikolai Khabibulin, Boris Mironov, Sergei Samsonov, Valeri Bure, Maxim Afinogenov, Ilya Bryzgalov, Ilya Kovalchuk, Andrei Nikolishin,Oleg Kvasha

Last edited:

Rather Gingerly 1*

this might help . . .

Summary -- 22 series in 34 years

Soviets - 1972 Olympics
Canada - 1972 Summit Series (NHL)
Soviets - 1974 Summit Series (WHA)
Soviets - 1976 Olympics
Canada - 1976 Canada Cup
Soviets - 1979 Challenge Cup
USA - 1980 Olympics
Soviets - 1981 Canada Cup
Soviets - 1984 Olympics
Canada - 1984 Canada Cup
tie - 1987 Rendez-Vous Series
Canada - 1987 Canada Cup
Soviets - 1988 Olympics
Canada - 1991 Canada Cup
Soviets -- 1992 Olympics
Sweden -- 1994 Olympics
USA -- 1996 “World†Cup
Czechs -- 1998 Olympics
Canada -- 2002 Olympics
Canada -- 2004 “World†Cup
Czechs -- 2005 World Championship
Sweden -- 2006 Olympics

8 Soviets
7 Canada
2 Sweden (’94 & ’06)
2 Czechs (’98 & ’05)
2 USA (’80 & ’96)
1 tie (’87)

What do you keep posting that crap for?

I think he is just having a little fun. Everybody has already agreed not to count tourny when best players did not play because of rules. An example would be '74 WHA players.

Reks

Oct 23, 2006
It seems to me things are simple. In order to understand reality we need to spend some time outside Canada :)

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Different issue - those Russians were available and allowed to play if they wanted to. Prior to the 1988 Olympics in Calgary, the top Canadians were NOT allowed to play - and the NHL finally closed down for the games in '98.
I think the comment was made as a reply to this post:
Our bests? Nah, certainly not. We had the opportunity to send our best players but our management screwed everything. Crosby, Staal and Spezza weren't invited, what a shame...
Pretty much the same issue to me. They had the opportunity to send Crosby, Staal and Spezza and they didn't.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Should probably add Gretzky's tasteless rant about "American propaganda".

So is there any point to this thread outside of back bacony autofellatio?

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
“Everybody has already agreed not to count tourny when the best players did not play because of rules. An example would be '74 WHA players.â€

so which tournaments has “everybody already agreed to count�

just the ones Canada won, or . . . ?

1972 Summit Series – the “Bobby Series†doesn’t count cuz Orr and Hull were not there, and Clarke pulled his Tanya Harding.

1974 Summit Series – Hull, Howe & Canada only winning 1 game out of 8 doesn’t count cuz it was just the WHA.

1976 Olympics don’t count cuz Canada didn’t even send a team.

1976 Canada Cup doesn’t count because the Russians didn’t send their best players in reciprocal protest (and were afraid they’d defect to the WHA who were hiring Europeans like drunken philanthropists) and Canada had to play the Czechs to “winâ€. what was the score in their first game again?

1979 Challenge Cup -- the Soviets won, but it doesn’t count anyway cuz “Canada†also had 3 Swedes playing on their team.

1980 Olympics – doesn’t count because it’s the Olympics, and if we count the American amateurs winning it blows our whole argument.

1981 Canada Cup -- Soviets winning 8—1 doesn’t count because . . . it was only one game? and besides, we didn’t give them the damn trophy anyway! “ha! gotcha!â€

1984 Olympics simply don’t count, even though we sent Kirk Muller, Russ Courtnall, Kevin Dineen, Pat Flatley, Dave Gagner, Dave Tippett, James Patrick, J.J. Daigneault, Bruce Driver, Doug Lidster and so on.

1984 Canada Cup -- doesn’t count because Peter Stastny actually played for Canada, and the Soviets didn’t send Tretiak even tho he’d only let in all of 1 goal in the 3 final medal games at the Olympics just a few months earlier. (shutting-out both the Czechs and that great Canadian team, then beating the Swedes 10-1)

1987 the Rendez-Vous Series was a tie, so we don’t count this.

1987 Canada Cup -- doesn’t count because Koharski handed the deciding game to Canada.

1988 Olympics in Calgary – doesn’t count cuz we were so busy hosting.

1991 Canada Cup – doesn’t count because the Soviet Union was collapsing and they barely fielded a team.

1992 Olympics – these should almost count cuz Canada won the Silver! Sean Burke returned from the Devils, Joe Juneau rocked the ice with 14 points, and some big kid name Lindros was poppin’ a few.

1994 Olympics – the Swedes won but again Canada came second, so if you count both these Silvers it sorta makes one Gold.

1996 “World Cup†(formerly Canada Cup) -- clearly doesn’t count because the Americans won.

1998 Olympics – doesn’t count cuz Gretzky wasn’t in the shoot-out.

2002 Olympics and 2004 “World Cup†-- now THESE we count!

2005 World Championship (the NHL lock-out year and only true best-of W.C.) – Czechs beat Canada 3-zip but it doesn’t count cuz . . . it’s just the World Championships (see also; 1980).

2006 Olympics -- obviously don’t count because . . . Gretzky didn’t pick the right players? bertuzzi’s karma?

Last edited:

Joretus

Canadian fans are hilarious, before a big tournament you'll see posts about how we could send 2 or 3 teams and win all the medals, then if we lose, its excuse time, 'oh we didn't have this player or that player'... boo hoo. :cry:

Yeah, good point. And shows some characteristic :clap:

Canada is only nation in the world which number 1 sport is hockey, so they should dominate it as well. Still there is numerous of good countries who can challenge them and I think atm there is more than 10years ago and maybe in 10years there is more again.

Joretus

“Everybody has already agreed not to count tourny when best players did not play because of rules. An example would be '74 WHA players.â€

so what tournaments has “everybody already agreed to count�

just the one’s Canada won, or . . . ?

Canada - 1972 Summit Series (NHL) -- doesn’t count cuz Bobbys Orr and Hull were not there.

Soviets - 1974 Summit Series (WHA) doesn’t count cuz it’s the WHA

Soviets - 1976 Olympics - doesn’t count cuz Canada didn’t even send a team

1976 Canada Cup -- - doesn’t count cuz the Russians didn’t send their best in protest (or were afraid they’d defect) and Canada had to play the Czechs to “winâ€

1979 Challenge Cup -- the Soviets won, but it doesn’t count anyway cuz “Canada†also had Swedes playing on their team.

1980 Olympics – doesn’t count cuz it’s the Olympics, and if we count the American amateurs winning it blows our whole argument.

1981 Canada Cup -- Soviets winning 8—1 doesn’t count cuz . . . it was only one game?

1984 Canada Cup -- doesn’t count because Peter Stastny actually played for Canada, and the Soviets didn’t send Tretiak even tho he’d just shut-out everyone at the Olympics a few months earlier.

1987 Rendez-Vous Series was a tie, so we don’t count this.

1987 Canada Cup -- doesn’t count cuz Koharski handed the deciding game to Canada.

1991 Canada Cup – doesn’t count because the Soviet Union was collapsing and they barely fielded a team.

1996 “World Cup†(formerly Canada Cup) -- clearly doesn’t count because the Americans won.

2002 Olympics and 2004 “World Cup†-- now THESE we count!

2005 World Championship (the only all-NHL W.C.) – Czechs won but it doesn’t count cuz it’s just the World Championships.

2006 Olympics -- obviously doesn’t count because . . . Gretzky didn’t pick the right players?

Great post. :bow:

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Everybody has already agreed not to count tourny when best players did not play because of rules. An example would be '74 WHA players.”

so what tournaments has “everybody already agreed to count”?

just the one’s Canada won, or . . . ?

Canada - 1972 Summit Series (NHL) -- doesn’t count cuz Bobbys Orr and Hull were not there.

Soviets - 1974 Summit Series (WHA) doesn’t count cuz it’s the WHA

Soviets - 1976 Olympics - doesn’t count cuz Canada didn’t even send a team

1976 Canada Cup -- - doesn’t count cuz the Russians didn’t send their best in protest (or were afraid they’d defect) and Canada had to play the Czechs to “win”

1979 Challenge Cup -- the Soviets won, but it doesn’t count anyway cuz “Canada” also had Swedes playing on their team.

1980 Olympics – doesn’t count cuz it’s the Olympics, and if we count the American amateurs winning it blows our whole argument.

1981 Canada Cup -- Soviets winning 8—1 doesn’t count cuz . . . it was only one game?

1984 Canada Cup -- doesn’t count because Peter Stastny actually played for Canada, and the Soviets didn’t send Tretiak even tho he’d just shut-out everyone at the Olympics a few months earlier.

1987 Rendez-Vous Series was a tie, so we don’t count this.

1987 Canada Cup -- doesn’t count cuz Koharski handed the deciding game to Canada.

1996 “World Cup” (formerly Canada Cup) -- clearly doesn’t count because the Americans won.

2002 Olympics and 2004 “World Cup” -- now THESE we count!

2005 World Championship (the only all-NHL W.C.) – Czechs won but it doesn’t count cuz it’s just the World Championships.

2006 Olympics -- obviously doesn’t count because . . . Gretzky didn’t pick the right players?
Fedorov, Mogilny, Khabibulin and Zubov didn't participate in the 2004 World Cup so it obviously shouldn't count either. ;)

Reks

Oct 23, 2006
Fetisov and Drozdetsky (best soviet forward at the Olympics a few months earlier) didn't play in 84 Canada Cup either. Fetisov was injured. Drozdetsky was in a conflict with Tikhonov.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com

FYI - Khabibulin played in '02 (and I think Fedorov did as well) - in fact, most of the available players chose to play in '02 since the team was being coached by Fetisov, Yurzinov and Tretiak.

EDIT: yes, Fedorov was also on that team. Here was the Russian roster: Yegor Podomatsky, Danny Markov, Alexei Kovalev, Vladimir Malakhov, Alexei Zhamnov, Sergei Gonchar, Darius Kasparaitis, Pavel Datsyuk, Igor Kravchuk, Oleg Tverdovsky, Pavel Bure, Igor Larionov, Sergei Fedorov, Alexei Yashin, Nikolai Khabibulin, Boris Mironov, Sergei Samsonov, Valeri Bure, Maxim Afinogenov, Ilya Bryzgalov, Ilya Kovalchuk, Andrei Nikolishin,Oleg Kvasha
Yes, Olympic 2002 and Saint-Petersburgh 2000 are exceptions.
You know, there is even new word appeared in Russian hockey - "refusers".
Zubov, Fedorov, Mogilniy, Khabibulin etc.. They refuse to play at WC (and at some OG), but come to really big tournaments like OG..
So what I'm talking about - there is no difference it "best players were not there because they didn't want" and "best players were not there because they couldnt".
Both ways are stupid. You should count all tournaments (who cares what players country could get? It is their problems)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad