Canada didn't deserve to make the final...

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
You know what I think? I think we should desperately look for any reason, however idiotic and insignificant, that Canada didn't deserve to be in the final (for the 3rd straight year) and how almost every other team got 'screwed' somehow. Lets ignore (for a moment, or a whole tournament if you will) the overwhelming depth advantage and skill advantage in every position that Canada holds over every other team, and lets try to find other reasons that justify how Canada could be so consistently good. Any other reason.

By the way, did anyone notice Zetterberg punch the ref today after a scuffle with a Czech player behind the net in the first period? :rant: Should have been suspended along with the whole Swedish team. I think the refs must have been out to get the Czech Republic and thats why there was no call. I have another idea, lets focus on this incident for nearly 2 full weeks and bring it up in every situation, regardless of whether it is related to the discussion at hand.

Did I not say some people were setting up excuses for not winning?
I think some people need to start focusing on hockey, sometimes there are bad calls, thats the way it goes, its part of the game. Deal with it. The level of discourse around here has gotten pretty bad.

PredsFan77*

One would wonder what you would be doing, if the tides were turned.

Oil_slick9416*

therealdeal said:
You know what I think? I think we should desperately look for any reason, however idiotic and insignificant, that Canada didn't deserve to be in the final (for the 3rd straight year) and how almost every other team got 'screwed' somehow. Lets ignore (for a moment, or a whole tournament if you will) the overwhelming depth advantage and skill advantage in every position that Canada holds over every other team, and lets try to find other reasons that justify how Canada could be so consistently good. Any other reason.

By the way, did anyone notice Zetterberg punch the ref today after a scuffle with a Czech player behind the net in the first period? :rant: Should have been suspended along with the whole Swedish team. I think the refs must have been out to get the Czech Republic and thats why there was no call. I have another idea, lets focus on this incident for nearly 2 full weeks and bring it up in every situation, regardless of whether it is related to the discussion at hand.

Did I not say some people were setting up excuses for not winning?
I think some people need to start focusing on hockey, sometimes there are bad calls, thats the way it goes, its part of the game. Deal with it. The level of discourse around here has gotten pretty bad.

the canadians are goons and cheat against russia :sarcasm:

you've pretty much hit the nail on the head :clap:

Oil_slick9416*

Epsilon said:
I'll set the over/under on the number of posts before this gets closed at 10, and I'll bet the under.

By the way, it seems that a certain collection of fairly homerish posters want to think that everyone complaining about the Nash incident is "whining" or "out to get Canada". For anyone who thinks this is true, the reality is that a large number of people discussing that incident are Canadians who feel that incidents such as those, and the way it was handled, hurt the integrity of the game. Nationality has nothing to do with it; the action is what is important. In the Nash thread you will find condemning him and the IIHs response many posters who cheer for Canada during international events.

i'll bet over

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
You know what? The Nash non-call was a bad call. Everyone is right when they say he should be suspended. You know what? He wasnt suspended, he won't be suspended, and if you want to believe your team would have won had he been suspended, go ahead. But he wasnt, get over it. And as far as asking 'if the shoe were on the other foot,' don't be so naiive. Pretty much every tournament assembled, including the olympics, over the past 60 years, has had rules and timing made to specifically penalize Canada (and the USA.) So if you want to ask what I'd do if the shoe were on the other foot, I'd suck it up, as Canada has been doing for 60 years. But the truth is that Canada is a better hockey nation in general, and yes, Canada is not invincible. They can, have, and will lose games. But if Canada wins, try looking towards skill, talent, depth and heart as reasons, not the odd bad call, because if you want to be unbiased, you better admit those go both ways ALL THE TIME.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
I have lost alot of my respect for some of the canadian posters here, people brinf up things like the nash incident and the refereeing and all that some people here cna come back with in response is "we're canada, we're the best.... if they didn't do anything about it stop whining..." The point is that as in the Nash incident it WAS intentional it SHOULD have been a suspension but some people just can't swallow the fact that a canadian would do something like that!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Finn said:
I have lost alot of my respect for some of the canadian posters here, people brinf up things like the nash incident and the refereeing and all that some people here cna come back with in response is "we're canada, we're the best.... if they didn't do anything about it stop whining..." The point is that as in the Nash incident it WAS intentional it SHOULD have been a suspension but some people just can't swallow the fact that a canadian would do something like that!

It's also worth nothing which country's officials, media, and fans did the most whining during both the 1998 and 2002 olympics.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
therealdeal said:
You know what? The Nash non-call was a bad call. Everyone is right when they say he should be suspended. You know what? He wasnt suspended, he won't be suspended, and if you want to believe your team would have won had he been suspended, go ahead. But he wasnt, get over it. And as far as asking 'if the shoe were on the other foot,' don't be so naiive. Pretty much every tournament assembled, including the olympics, over the past 60 years, has had rules and timing made to specifically penalize Canada (and the USA.) So if you want to ask what I'd do if the shoe were on the other foot, I'd suck it up, as Canada has been doing for 60 years. But the truth is that Canada is a better hockey nation in general, and yes, Canada is not invincible. They can, have, and will lose games. But if Canada wins, try looking towards skill, talent, depth and heart as reasons, not the odd bad call, because if you want to be unbiased, you better admit those go both ways ALL THE TIME.

oh please, oyu have to be kidding me!! how have they made rules to "penalize the US and Canada"? the world cup... they actually gave a clear advantage to US and Canada in order to have more chance for a all North American final

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Epsilon said:
I'll set the over/under on the number of posts before this gets closed at 10, and I'll bet the under.

By the way, it seems that a certain collection of fairly homerish posters want to think that everyone complaining about the Nash incident is "whining" or "out to get Canada". For anyone who thinks this is true, the reality is that a large number of people discussing that incident are Canadians who feel that incidents such as those, and the way it was handled, hurt the integrity of the game. Nationality has nothing to do with it; the action is what is important.

Yeah, what he said.

Oh, and I'll bet over :D

Backin72

Jul 9, 2004
Winnipeg
Finn said:

Go eat a steak, you'll feel better.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Finn said:

What are you talking about? He should have been suspended, he wasnt. Move on. Shouldnt have happened, but it did. There have been many bad calls in hockey, they will continue. But this is a dead issue.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
As the Canucks have played I don't think they deserve a spot in finals, regardless of the Nash incident. Anyone can go back and read the game threads and see what most canadiens thought about their team.

Feb 24, 2004
Finn said:
oh please, oyu have to be kidding me!! how have they made rules to "penalize the US and Canada"? the world cup... they actually gave a clear advantage to US and Canada in order to have more chance for a all North American final

What do you call the World Championships? Large Ice Surface, European Fans, and every year not in North America. So one year in US and Canada isn't going to make a difference

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Finn said:

Different ice surface (we invented the game, if you remember) shootouts, rules/refs that heavily penalize physical style of play which canada dominates, not allowing Canada to use pro players, while allowing every Euro team to do so, shootouts which arent even part of the game, this tournament going on while all of Canada's top players are still playing...

Gimme a break, open your eyes. The Canada Cup was invented by us BECAUSE it was the only tournament we could have an advantage. It was created because we wanted a chance to play in Canada, and use our pros. Big deal, thats one tournament out of what, 4?

Does anyone remember when Canada was stripped of a bronze because the IIHF wanted to 'promote the game' in Europe so you could compete, so they changed the rules of the tournament after the tournament was over? Geeze, its been 60 years of getting screwed. Don't tell Canadians to try and see the other side of things, we are the other side 90% of the time. I'm not defending Nash or the decision, but its done, it was done 2 weeks ago, and continuing to complain about just makes you look petty and bitter.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
leafs4thecup said:
What do you call the World Championships? Large Ice Surface, European Fans, and every year not in North America. So one year in US and Canada isn't going to make a difference

That the NHL doesn't use the IIHF size ice surface is their own business. It's not a rule to "penalize North Americans". NCAA college hockey has incorporated rules that are different from the NHL. As for the WHC not being in the North America, that's because the NHL doesn't want it to be.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Epsilon said:
That the NHL doesn't use the IIHF size ice surface is their own business. It's not a rule to "penalize North Americans". NCAA college hockey has incorporated rules that are different from the NHL. As for the WHC not being in the North America, that's because the NHL doesn't want it to be.

Whether its purpose was to penalize NA teams doesnt matter. It does. The rules have penalized Canada for 60 years. We dealt with it.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Finn said:

Keep in mind that some (maybe even most) Canadians agree with you, so maybe you could put the word "some" in bold next time.

Oh and some non Canadian posters irritate with this Canada cheats BS when "Canada" is not the one officiating the games and handing out the suspensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->