Canada awarded 2006 WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Van said:
I look at the other side of the coin. If the average sized cities had such success, then imagine what a bigger city could accomplish.

I still say that no matter how good bids are from the other cities, Vancouver has one thing that nobody else can claim....the Olympics. To have the World U20 Championships in Vancouver as the first major pre-Olympic event will be the main point of Vancouver's bid.

And besides that, Vancouver has GM Place and Pacific Coliseum..two major arenas, and the Burnaby 8-rinks for practice facilities. And there is also Victoria, only a 2-hour ferry ride across the strait, with a new 7,500 seat arena themselves. I think if you put Victoria and Vancouver as a joint bid, they would be unbeatable.
Theoretically, one would have to think that a bigger city could out-sell a smaller city.

However, when looking at potential host cities, I have to believe the IIHF cares more about local junior hockey than it does cities with Olympics and NHL action. If anything, I think Vancouver is at a disadvantage compared to Halifax and other cities with only junior teams because they have an NHL team which would draw attention away from a WJC tournament. What do people in Vancouver care about a tournament of under-20 no-namers when they can see all the big name NHLers? If the WJC went to BC, I believe it would be in Kelowna or Kamloops, not Vancouver.

I should also mention that if the Halifax Metro Center had more seats, those record-setting attendance and revenue numbers would be even higher. That arena was jammed pack.

Putting the WJC in a city like Vancouver is risky, even if it is a much bigger city, because there would be competition with the Canucks and the 2010 Olympics (which I bet hockey fans are already budgeting for).
Putting the WJC in a city like Halifax, a junior hockey hotbed, is a guaranteed success.

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
FlyersFan said:
Theoretically, one would have to think that a bigger city could out-sell a smaller city.

However, when looking at potential host cities, I have to believe the IIHF cares more about local junior hockey than it does cities with Olympics and NHL action. If anything, I think Vancouver is at a disadvantage compared to Halifax and other cities with only junior teams because they have an NHL team which would draw attention away from a WJC tournament. What do people in Vancouver care about a tournament of under-20 no-namers when they can see all the big name NHLers? If the WJC went to BC, I believe it would be in Kelowna or Kamloops, not Vancouver.

I should also mention that if the Halifax Metro Center had more seats, those record-setting attendance and revenue numbers would be even higher. That arena was jammed pack.

Putting the WJC in a city like Vancouver is risky, even if it is a much bigger city, because there would be competition with the Canucks and the 2010 Olympics (which I bet hockey fans are already budgeting for).
Putting the WJC in a city like Halifax, a junior hockey hotbed, is a guaranteed success.

Exactly my point about the advantage going to the smaller cities. But Van is right, the city would have to have at least one arena at 10 000

BCCHL inactive

Upchuck19 said:
First of all Van, this story is old it was in Kelowna papers 7-10 days ago so I doubt I can find a link. I was talking to office staff in the Rockets so it's a for sure thing.

Where is your confirmation or link that the IIHF doesn't want to have cities that far apart? Bus travel is 4-5 hours on good roads.

A lot happens down south hear that oviously you guys in PG don't hear about. There was a site for worldjuniors2006.com, that isn't up right now. You may think your in the know in Kelowna, but your not Van!

I never claimed I was.

I don't need a link to say that the IIHF won't like even 4-5 hours between cities....it is common sense. That is simply too much travel for such a short-term event.

I will go out and say it now. If Vancouver bids with Victoria or alone, they will win. If they bid with Kelowna/Kamloops, they will lose. There is simply too many resources on the Mainland/Island (GM Place, Pacific Coliseum, Victoria Arena) to risk making the IIHF spend a lot of money to travel teams 5 hours into the interior.

FlyersFan said:
If anything, I think Vancouver is at a disadvantage compared to Halifax and other cities with only junior teams because they have an NHL team which would draw attention away from a WJC tournament. What do people in Vancouver care about a tournament of under-20 no-namers when they can see all the big name NHLers? If the WJC went to BC, I believe it would be in Kelowna or Kamloops, not Vancouver.

The tournament would not be in competition with the Canucks and Olympics. The Canucks would help market the tournament without a doubt. A tournament with NHL support would rake in the cash like nothing else....and this would be a pre-Olympic event. The Vancouver Olympic Committee would have some involvement in promoting this event.

Kamloops and Kelowna don't have big enough arenas to be the main draw for this tournament in Canada. A 6,000-7,000 seater just doesn't work anymore.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Van said:
Kamloops and Kelowna don't have big enough arenas to be the main draw for this tournament in Canada. A 6,000-7,000 seater just doesn't work anymore.
Agreed. I don't think those cities would get the WJC either, I was just saying that IF the tournament went to BC, I think it would go to a city with junior hockey only. I agree that, in Canada, it has to go to a 10,000 seat venue.

In 1996, the WJC was in Boston, and I believe I heard/read that that tournamant had horrible attendance and, generally speaking, was one of the worst WJC tournaments ever (someone correct me if I'm wrong) because of competition with professional sport (Bruins, Celtics). Since 1996, the WJC have not gone to a city in North America with an NHL or other professional franchise. Because of this, I really don't see the WJC going to Vancouver in 2006, unless they can convince the IIHF that with all the local junior hockey content (Vancouver, Kelowna, Kamloops, Prince George, and even Seattle and Spokane), a WJC would not be hindered by big-time sporting events (ie: the Canucks and upcoming Olympic action, which I bet die-hard hockey fans are already budgeting for) like I believe it was in Boston.

One of the major reasons for Halifax's success was that the WJC was THE biggest hockey (and general sporting) event to ever hit the Maritimes. There was just so much hype about it. If you had WJC tickets, you felt like you were the king of the world, and you wouldn't have traded them for anything. They were even selling WJC merchandise in Fredericton. I still see people wearing the 2003 WJC t-shirts at my local YMCA. For the WJC to be a major success like it was in Halifax, I think you have to put it somewhere where it will be considered the single greatest hockey event to ever come to that region, as it was here in the Maritimes. If the Canucks make the playoffs in 2006, the WJC would be nealry forgotten. I'm not saying a WJC in Vancouver would not be successful, I'm saying that it would not better, or even equal, the 2003 Halifax WJC.

Last edited:

BCCHL inactive

FlyersFan said:
In 1996, the WJC was in Boston, and I believe I heard/read that that tournamant had horrible attendance and, generally speaking, was one of the worst WJC tournaments ever (someone correct me if I'm wrong) because of competition with professional sport (Bruins, Celtics). Since 1996, the WJC have not gone to a city in North America with an NHL or other professional franchise. Because of this, I really don't see the WJC going to Vancouver in 2006, unless they can convince the IIHF that with all the local junior hockey content (Vancouver, Kelowna, Kamloops, Prince George, and even Seattle and Spokane), a WJC would not be hindered by big-time sporting events (ie: the Canucks and upcoming Olympic action, which I bet die-hard hockey fans are already budgeting for) like I believe it was in Boston.

I hate to pull out the Canada vs. USA gun, but I have no choice. ;)

This tournament is a holiday tradition in Canada. Hockey fans from all walks of life, in big or small cities, young people and old people, etc....as long as they have access to a television, they will get up at all hours of the night to watch Team Canada play.

In the United States, lets face it...this tournament is not marketed like it is in Canada. Hockey fans do not follow the U20 team religiously like Canadians follow Team Canada.

You may be very right in saying that the Celtics and Bruins ruined Boston's World U20 party....but the Canucks and Olympics will only help such a tournament in Canada.

You may also be right about people budgeting for Olympic tickets, but there are also many, many people across Canada who will travel cross-country to watch this tournament (and yes, a Newfoundlander will travel to Vancouver for this tournament, just like people from BC travelled to Halifax last year) . There will be many people who cannot afford to budget for the Olympics (like me) who would jump at the chance to catch a pre-Olympic event like this tournament.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Van said:
This tournament is a holiday tradition in Canada. Hockey fans from all walks of life, in big or small cities, young people and old people, etc....as long as they have access to a television, they will get up at all hours of the night to watch Team Canada play.

I woke up at 5:30 AM to watch Canada/Switzerland....I mean really, I could have just waited for the replay later in the day...

:shakehead

bindlerotor

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Common Sense?

Van said:
I don't need a link to say that the IIHF won't like even 4-5 hours between cities....it is common sense. That is simply too much travel for such a short-term event.

2003 was actually Halifax and Sydney ~ four hours apart.

The entire B pool (or whichever one Canada wasn't in) stayed and played in Sydney, so travel was not an issue - just one trip to hfx for the medal round.

btw, Centre 200 in Sydney only holds about 4500.

BCCHL inactive

bindlerotor said:

The entire B pool (or whichever one Canada wasn't in) stayed and played in Sydney, so travel was not an issue - just one trip to hfx for the medal round.

Maybe so, but Halifax holds over 10,000. Having only 4,500 as the secondary arena is alright....6,000-7,000 just isn't big enough to be the main drawing arena.

Kelowna to Vancouver is an easy 5-6 hours at this time of year. It is just too far, especially with all the resources in the Vancouver area. Why travel to Kelowna for 6,500 seats when you can take a ferry ride to Victoria for 7,500 seats?

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
bindlerotor said:

Great answer - I was about to agree with Van, but I think that the size of the centre and even the rink may not be as much of a factor for the round robin, so long as there is a reasonable rink for the medal round.

I still think that a major centre has the leg up this time, and if Vancouver is organized for the bid with Victoria, that is a combination that really works.

I just hope that Vancouver can put the event on with some style and real interest - there is a tendency for the lotuslanders to ignore sports events of all kinds and I am not convinced that there would be a great deal of support for non-Canadian games.

YellHockey*

All this talk about BC is going to be moot because Ottawa is the best choice to hold the event.

It's the best junior hockey market in Canada.

It has a 18,500+ seat arena for the big games.

It has a 10,500 seat arena for the other games.

There is more then enough hotel space to meet the demand.

It's done a great job at hosting the Memorial Cup.

There are over 9,000 seat deposits takenand has been rising at over 1000 deposits each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad