Canada awarded 2006 WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

Scottkmlps said:
Great to see it'll be back in Canada in 2 1/2 years. It says Halifax will make a bid, as could London, Ottawa and Vancouver. Wouldn't mind seeing it come to Kamloops.
http://www.slam.ca/Slam030918/chl_worlds-cp.html

Halifax won't get it. They would be morons to bid.

Unfortunately, Kamloops has no hope in hell, as is the case for here in Prince George. PG and Kamloops submitted a joint bid for the 1999 WJHC that was given to Winnipeg, but the IIHF has this fetish for a minimum 10,000 seat arena for every tournament. The last Canadian city with less than that to host this tournament was Red Deer in 1995. The Centrium fits just over 6,000.

Realistically, I think Vancouver has the best chance to host the 2006 World U20 Championships.

Personally, this is a junior hockey championship, and it should be held in a junior hockey city. Although Vancouver does have the Giants, when I think of a junior hockey city, I think of places like Red Deer, Kamloops, Prince George, etc. Not the big metropolitan areas where the NHL dominates.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Though that article doesn't mention it, Canada will likely host the men's WC's in 2008. They were applying for the 2007 tournament (Winnipeg and Halifax as candidate cities), but since 2008 is 100th "birthday" of the IIHF, it was thought more suitable to host the tournament then. The 2007 WC will be in Russia.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Jussi said:
Though that article doesn't mention it, Canada will likely host the men's WC's in 2008. They were applying for the 2007 tournament (Winnipeg and Halifax as candidate cities), but since 2008 is 100th "birthday" of the IIHF, it was thought more suitable to host the tournament then. The 2007 WC will be in Russia.

Not quite so. Originally it was speculated that the anniversary tournament would be hosted by Switzerland where the IIHF headquarters are located. Most (if not all) of IIHF's sponsorship deals expire after 2007 and that way they can negotiate something different for the special case that Canada is because of broadcasting times.

Triple Klutz

Laituri said:
Not quite so. Originally it was speculated that the anniversary tournament would be hosted by Switzerland where the IIHF headquarters are located. Most (if not all) of IIHF's sponsorship deals expire after 2007 and that way they can negotiate something different for the special case that Canada is because of broadcasting times.

Fisel, himself, has said he wants it in Canada in 2008 because of the anniversary. I think it's pretty much a given that it will be here, especially now that the Canadian bidders for 2007 backed off in the end. As for Halifax getting the world juniors in 2006, no chance. The tournament will sell out no matter where it's held in this country.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Triple Klutz said:
Fisel, himself, has said he wants it in Canada in 2008 because of the anniversary. I think it's pretty much a given that it will be here, especially now that the Canadian bidders for 2007 backed off in the end. As for Halifax getting the world juniors in 2006, no chance. The tournament will sell out no matter where it's held in this country.
I agree. It could be held anywhere and it would sell out. Halifax just had it so I think Vancouver has a great shot at it. It has never been in B.C. has it.

BCCHL inactive

canucksfan said:
I agree. It could be held anywhere and it would sell out. Halifax just had it so I think Vancouver has a great shot at it. It has never been in B.C. has it.

Nope, but it's been to Alaska ;) . Here is the history (locations) of the World U20 Championships:

1977 - Bystrica/Zvolen, Czechoslovakia
1978 - Montréal, Canada
1979 - Karlstad, Sweden
1980 - Helsinki, Finland
1981 - Fussen, Germany
1982 - Minnesota, USA
1983 - Leningrad, Soviet Union
1984 - Norrkoping/Nykoping, Sweden
1985 - Helsinki/Turku, Finland
1986 - Hamilton, Canada
1987 - Piestany, Czechoslovakia
1988 - Moscow, Soviet Union
1989 - Anchorage, USA
1990 - Helsinki/Turku, Finland
1991 - Saskatoon, Canada
1992 - Fussen/Kaufbeuren, Germany
1993 - Gavle, Sweden
1994 - Ostrava, Czech Republic
1995 - Red Deer, Canada
1996 - Boston, USA
1997 - Geneva/Morges, Switzerland
1998 - Helsinki/Hameenlinna, Finland
1999 - Winnipeg, Canada
2000 - Skelleftea/Umea, Sweden
2001 - Moscow/Podolsk, Russia
2002 - Pardubice, Czech Republic
2003 - Halifax, Canada
2004 - Helsinki/Hameenlinna, Finland

DR. Holiday

Van said:

Unfortunately, Kamloops has no hope in hell, as is the case for here in Prince George. PG and Kamloops submitted a joint bid for the 1999 WJHC that was given to Winnipeg, but the IIHF has this fetish for a minimum 10,000 seat arena for every tournament. The last Canadian city with less than that to host this tournament was Red Deer in 1995. The Centrium fits just over 6,000.

Realistically, I think Vancouver has the best chance to host the 2006 World U20 Championships.

Personally, this is a junior hockey championship, and it should be held in a junior hockey city. Although Vancouver does have the Giants, when I think of a junior hockey city, I think of places like Red Deer, Kamloops, Prince George, etc. Not the big metropolitan areas where the NHL dominates.
Halifax doesn't hold 10,000 does it? I was there for the tourny and thought it was slightly less.

Also look for Ottawa to make a strong bid. Ottawa or Vancouver are my guess. Hey everyone out west should be going to North Dakota next year as well.

Triple Klutz

DR. Holiday said:
Halifax doesn't hold 10,000 does it? I was there for the tourny and thought it was slightly less.

It seats something like 10,200.

evman150*

It was stated in the Times Colonist (Victoria BC) the other day that Victoria may make a bid for the 2006 WJC.

The new arena will seat around 7500. Is that big enough for the WJC?

That would be so cool if we got it. Wow.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
leafssuck said:
You can't really compare money made in Halifax and in Winnipeg beause Halifax has the unfair advantage of inflation so we'll look at who put more asses in the seats:

Halifax 242 173
Winnipeg 173 453

Looks like Halifax can sell almost 70 thousand more seats...

Go Hailifax. I was at both the Bronze and Gold medal games last year and it was the best atmosphere I have ever been apart of. If Canada had only won i think I'd still be there partying.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I would love to have the WJC in Vancouver, or even Victoria. The chance to go out and see these kids in the flesh would sure be a treat, and hockey is getting bigger and bigger here, with Vancouver having both NHL and WHL franchises, and Victoria getting an ECHL team. Having the WJC here would be awesome. But the other locations mentioned would surely do great as well.

~Canucklehead~

sensfan18

Nov 8, 2002
London/Ottawa
Visit site
Let's end the discussion now. It is going to be in our Nation's capital. Ottawa just narrowly lost to Halifax last time and this time around they will do whatever is necessary to land it. Ottawa is one of the best cities for supporting junior hockey in the wolrd. The Civic Centre, Corel centre, and the Bob (Gatineau's arena) could all be used. Anyone else getting their hopes up are in for a great disappoinment.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
They should build a rink in the skydom in Toronto. It would be the most horrible place for a game but it would sell out no doubt for the medal games.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I was able to talk to some of the people representing the Saskatoon bid the other night. They are very, very confident in their bid and it looks like Bridge City could be a leading candidate for the tournament again. Key reason: volunteers in Saskatoon are like no other.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
This morning I got my 2006 WJC tickets for Saskatoon's bid. Blue line, 7 rows up. Word is that the entire bottom bowl is nearly already sold out.

Saskatoon 2006.:teach:

littleD

Nearly a dozen Canadian cities are bidding for the 2006 world junior hockey tournament. Edmonton, Halifax, Hamilton, London/Kitchener, Ont., Winnipeg, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Saskatoon, Toronto and Vancouver have all announced their intention to bid for the event. Hockey Canada received letters of intent and a $7,500 deposit from the 11 cities wanting to host the world under-20 tournament that starts in December 2005 and concludes in January 2006.

Source

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Van said:

Ahem .....Kelowna... Skyreach center...

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I'd love for the WJC to be held in Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax. Because I selfishly live in the area.

But in fairness, it might be better to see it held in the West since it was at the extreme Eastern portion of the country last time.

Regardless, if Montreal wins (and they probably won't) I will dance with joy and invite two or three HF posters who plan to travel to attend to stay at my home free of charge* :p

*Offer limited to people I don't find offensive and/or stupid

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
I'd love for the WJC to be held in Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax. Because I selfishly live in the area.

But in fairness, it might be better to see it held in the West since it was at the extreme Eastern portion of the country last time.

Regardless, if Montreal wins (and they probably won't) I will dance with joy and invite two or three HF posters who plan to travel to attend to stay at my home free of charge* :p

*Offer limited to people I don't find offensive and/or stupid

tv wise it is farer to have it in the east as martimers wouldn't have to wait till midnight to catch an 8 o'clock start ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad