Ed Jovanovski
Scott Niedermayer
Chris Pronger
Wade Redden
Robyn Regehr

Ed Belfour
Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo

I say both teams are pretty even - I would say 1996 looks better on paper, but hey, they only won silver :teach:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm also pretty sure that Bourque turned down the invitation to play for Canada for the World Cup. My question would be where was Patrick Roy?

~Canucklehead~

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Patrick Roy has a noble history of turning his back on his country. I believe the only time he ever played was the Nagano Olympics.

Not surprising they'd pass him over in 1996.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
how about that for strength down the middle.
lemieux
gretzky
lindros
messier

at the time, they probably thought they had the 4 best centers of all time on one team. Lindros didnt pan out, but i would put those 3 at the top of my list. The amazing part as none had fallen off the map yet. Messier was the only one under 100 points, and he only played 74 games, and got 99 points. I cant believe they lost, thats unbelievable, not to mention their defensive core. Just an unbelievable team on paper

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
canucklehead17 said:
I'm also pretty sure that Bourque turned down the invitation to play for Canada for the World Cup. My question would be where was Patrick Roy?

~Canucklehead~

Probably blackballed for the way in which he left the Habs for the Avs.

leafaholix*

PecaFan said:
Patrick Roy has a noble history of turning his back on his country. I believe the only time he ever played was the Nagano Olympics.

Not surprising they'd pass him over in 1996.
Yet he lives in Canada now... not wanting to raise his family in the States.

It's not a Brett Hull situation... it was hockey related I'm sure, much like Salt Lake.

ishouldbeworking

May 14, 2004
canucklehead17 said:

~Canucklehead~

Roy wasn't invited.

Patrick Roy is still feeling Glen Sather's sting from being left off the World Cup roster. Roy says he's happy team Canada lost the World Cup, "because it will force them to pick the best players instead of the general manager's favorites."

And I think Paul Kariya missed the '96 WC due to an injury.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
2004 > 1996

I think that this year's World Cup team is great. I have seen a lot of people slighting it but it has extreme talent. Not to say that 1996 team didn't but now you have players like Iginla, Heatley, Thornton, Marleau and Doan. They can score and beat down a defense. Its the changing of the guard in Canadian hockey, out with the old and in with the new. This team is going to roll over some teams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->