Can We Now Annoint Kyle Turris The Lone 5 Star Prospect ?

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Philly should take Alzner; leave Turris for the Kings. ;)
We do have Pitkanen, Picard, Coburn, and Parent as well as 2 2nd round defenseman last season (Ratchuk and Bodrov) as well as a 3rd round pick from 2005 Oskars Bartulis in the system. The Flyers will take best available and I have a feeling that it will be a forward. Turris, Kane, Voracek, or Cherepanov will be the Flyers pick, IMO (possibly ranked in that order).

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
What makes people think Philly will get the 1st pick overall? There is a draft lottery after all...

Haha now that would be funny... To be one of the 2 worst teams in the NHL and not even get a top-2 pick. Man just the Kings luck someone hits the draft win and skips all the way to 1... ahhah

O well. Bet we take Couture then...

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
So who Is the number one prospect ?

I don't even think anyone else is being considered at this point other than Turris. At this stage, I will be stunned if he is not the #1 Pick.

Most in the business say that Kane or Cherepanov is the number one prospect at this point in time. If Turris goes #1, it will be because the team picking likes him a bit better than the others, not because anybody thinks he is head and shoulders above the rest of the draft class.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
I was watching a game the other day (I forgot which one) and they mentioned that most scouts are of the opinion that the first 15 picks are going to be solid players, after that there's a very big dropoff in talent.

That being said, if the Kings end up with the #2 pick, I am hoping for either Turris, Kane or Van Riemsdyk.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Rediculously skinny. I know the captain of the Burnaby team, he says Turris' 170 listing is generous - more like 6'1'' 165, but that can be worked on - juicing right before you step into the NHL isn't uncommon.

I would say the 6'1 listing is equally generous. When I spoke with Kyle last week I'd guess he's 2-3 inches taller than me, and I'm generously "listed" at 5'9. And I'll flat out say, I don't buy that he's 170 lbs.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Rediculously skinny. I know the captain of the Burnaby team, he says Turris' 170 listing is generous - more like 6'1'' 165, but that can be worked on - juicing right before you step into the NHL isn't uncommon.
Thats almost what Sakic was like before he stepped into the NHL (body wise).

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Yea, especially with Philly picking first... no way they draft a Ruskie first! They'll probably look down the list for some goon with a bit of a nose for the net and take him.

philly has to win the lottery before they can pick first. it could possibly be whoever is second last. kings i believe that picks first.

Mythology

Jan 14, 2006
Philly picked a small winger #1 last year in Claude "I forgot his name" Giroux. Not that it would stop them from picking Kane, but I do think it makes it more likely they pick a 6' center if they rank both players real close.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Haha now that would be funny... To be one of the 2 worst teams in the NHL and not even get a top-2 pick. Man just the Kings luck someone hits the draft win and skips all the way to 1... ahhah

O well. Bet we take Couture then...

Not as bad as being 2nd in the draft ready to pick Malkin then Washington jumping over you into 1st and knocking you into 3rd place......

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
To answer the original question: No, Turris is not the lone "five star prospect" in this draft. I'm sure some team(s) has him rated as the number one player, but not the majority. IMO, a guy like Kane has a better chance of being drafted in that position.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
i would call considering Turris the only 5 star prospect a reach. These three guys are close in terms of overall package: Kane,Turris,Alzner.

Yes it is correct philly could pass the kings in the standings or finish last and lose the lottery. the three names above would be the guys i would focus on. If LA does pick first and takes Turris, i think we should go with Alzner. We already have a small RW with similar style in Giroux. You can never have too many defensive prospects.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Maybe I'm the only noticing the buzz, but Turris is gonna go ahead of Kane.

A helpful hint: if you are the only one noticing it then it's not "buzz." :)

Turris looks like a solid prospect but I don't know of any rating service that has him ranked first, so it's certainly not "across the board" as you said in the first post. And don't read too much into the fact that Holmgren has been to see Turris play. He'll see every top prospect if he hasn't seen them already.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
No way is Turris head and shoulders above everyone else. He's playing a way lower standard of hockey, so it's hard to figure out where to rank him.
And for everyone saying this is a weak draft, didn't people say the same thing last year and that's turning out to be a pretty good crop of players...

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Yea, especially with Philly picking first... no way they draft a Ruskie first! They'll probably look down the list for some goon with a bit of a nose for the net and take him.

Lets take a look at some of the Flyers recent first round picks, shall we?

Simon Gagne
Justin Williams
Joni Pitkanen
Jeff Woywitka
Steve Downie
Claude Giroux
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter

Of that list, only Downie could be described as "some goon with a nose for the net", and considering where he was drafted, its looking like a very good pick regardless.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Is it just me or is this draft gonna be one hell of a fun day??

It is so unpredictable...after the top 10 picks it is going to be a free for all. Probably a lot of "off the board" style picks.

I know 2008 is way deeper, but it just seems like 2007 will be fun to follow because of the unpredictablty factor.

fighterflea1*

I would say the 6'1 listing is equally generous. When I spoke with Kyle last week I'd guess he's 2-3 inches taller than me, and I'm generously "listed" at 5'9. And I'll flat out say, I don't buy that he's 170 lbs."

On the basis of your discussion, do you have any idea how long he might want to be at U. of Wisconsin?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
On the basis of your discussion, do you have any idea how long he might want to be at U. of Wisconsin?[/QUOTE]

It's always pretty much impossible to tell. Players simply don't know how long they're going to spend in the NCAA before they get there.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Off-topic question. If the Flyers draft that well, then why do they suck so bad?

This will be the first year since 93/94 that the Flyers don't have a +.500 record. I think they've been one of the more succesful franchises over the last decade or more.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The thing that scares me the most about Turris is his apparent commitment to spending 4 years at college. You simply cannot pick a guy #1 overall who isn't going to make the jump until 22 or 23 years of age. With the UFA age at 27, I don't think you can risk drafting a guy that high when you may only have him for 4 or 5 years. I know that a lot of guys say they're going for 4 years and leave after 1 or 2, but a Jack Johnson situation would be disappointing from the perspective of a fan of the team who picks him.

He won't spend 4 years at Wisconsin.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
He's skinny, which is probably the main reason that he's a year or two away minimum. Wisconsin has a great hockey program and I have no doubt that Kyle will add the weight and the muscle necessary in order to make the transition to the NHL in short time.

The thing that scares me the most about Turris is his apparent commitment to spending 4 years at college. You simply cannot pick a guy #1 overall who isn't going to make the jump until 22 or 23 years of age. With the UFA age at 27, I don't think you can risk drafting a guy that high when you may only have him for 4 or 5 years. I know that a lot of guys say they're going for 4 years and leave after 1 or 2, but a Jack Johnson situation would be disappointing from the perspective of a fan of the team who picks him.

That's OK, it gives us a shot at Stamkos/Doughty next year, and maybe Taveras the following one;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad