can sam gagner fall all the way to the Bruins?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't see why not, considering Kane, Voracek, Turris, and Cherepanov will almost certainly be the first four picks...... with Van Riemsdyk and Alzner also more likely candidates for the top 5. That leaves Ellerby, Gagner, Couture, or whoever else for Columbus to choose from. Then Boston picks next. They will get one of those guys. I think Couture would be a better pick for you guys though.

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
That leaves Ellerby, Gagner, Couture, or whoever else for Columbus to choose from. Then Boston picks next. They will get one of those guys. I think Couture would be a better pick for you guys though.

Logan Couture has had a very fast start (in 2 games) in the Under 18 tourney.....I wonder if his stock will rise.........weren't he and Esposito considered Top 5 locks a year ago or so ?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It depends on how Gagner fares in the playofs. He's doing very well so far as is Kane, but what's important is a player that can come through at the right times of the year. Have him be a big part of the Memorial Cup tournament - or even a Mem cup win - and I think you'll see him easily at #5

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It depends on how Gagner fares in the playofs. He's doing very well so far as is Kane, but what's important is a player that can come through at the right times of the year. Have him be a big part of the Memorial Cup tournament - or even a Mem cup win - and I think you'll see him easily at #5
I agree. The two biggest obstacles for Gagner to drop to 8 are Washington at 5 and Columbus at 7. If Turris, Kane, Voracek and Cherepanov are the top 4, it wouldn't suprise me if the Caps took Gagner. GMGM likes players with good bloodlines and Gagner would make a great future second-line center for them.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I doubt very much that will happen. Both Washington and Columbus would love to have him, I would think.

But then again, I've been surprised before on draft day.

The other question is, if Gagner does fall to No. 8, will Boston be smart enough to pick him? He's an awful lot like Marc Savard in terms of skill set, they might not think they need him.:sarcasm:

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
I agree. The two biggest obstacles for Gagner to drop to 8 are Washington at 5 and Columbus at 7.

One of the only things McLean has done right in Columbus is taking nash from London in the 1st Round....if he's given the chance to grab another Knight up there, he will jump at getting Gagner.

. Have him be a big part of the Memorial Cup tournament - or even a Mem cup win - and I think you'll see him easily at #5

It's no longer a slam dunk that the Knights will even be in the Mem Cup.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
There's a good chance one of Gagner or Couture will be there when the Bruins pick at #8, and to be honest I'd be hapy with either one.:)

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
The other question is, if Gagner does fall to No. 8, will Boston be smart enough to pick him? He's an awful lot like Marc Savard in terms of skill set, they might not think they need him.:sarcasm:

Say what you want about the Bruins but they've been pretty successful under their current amateur scouting department at identifying talent in the draft. I think Gagner will go to Columbus.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
A reliable "little bird-dog" told me that Columbus will take Gagner if he is there when they pick, period.
Of course, that all hinges on whether or not MacLean is still with Columbus in his capacity as GM, but since he's still there today, he most likely will be for the draft also.

X0ssbar

A reliable "little bird-dog" told me that Columbus will take Gagner if he is there when they pick, period.
Of course, that all hinges on whether or not MacLean is still with Columbus in his capacity as GM, but since he's still there today, he most likely will be for the draft also.

I'm not so sure about that. *If* MacLean is still here he has mentioned many many times that if the right deal is there he will not hesitate to move this pick. As a Columbus fan who has followed their drafts very closely, this is the first time MacLean has ever mentioned moving the pick outright for an established NHL player which he has also publicly stated.

However, if they do decide to hang onto the pick I could see them taking this kid...although I hope they strongly consider a guy like Couture. I think we can use his overall skill set more at this time than a playmaker like Gagner as he reminds me of Brassard quite a bit. Of course you can never have to many playmaking centers I guess.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Honestly, I can see a team selecting Gagner early this draft based more upon his recent play in the playoffs than his regular season, and of course those NHL 'connections' which some prefer to call bloodlines, does not hurt him.

He is playing somewhat hot & cold in these playoffs, but when he's hot, he is a standout on the ice especially in crucial PP situations for London.
Of course he benefits greatly from his father being one of his coaches & being handed more icetime than almost any junior player could handle, but so does Patrick Kane. Gagner lives & sleeps in his family home so he benefits from that more than most juniors including Kane.
But when it comes to playing the game on the ice, all season Gagner has demonstrated an ability to produce offence, while maturing along the way.
I honestly don't expect to see him "drop" out of the top 5.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
there is no denying his talent. it worries me a little that he has been absolutely steamrolled a couple of times this season- including a couple of concussions.

great hands and vision on the plus side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad