Can Ottawa keep their core with a cap or without one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

degroat*

vanlady said:
Wrong, every major franchise organization in North America has a fiscal resposibility clause. It gives the franchisor the right to shut you down or fine you if you run a deficit. This is not a cap, it is called a budget, something that every responsible business has. Vancouver, Edmonton, Boston and other teams run this way why not the big boys too?

I'd appreciate some proof that the NHL has such a clause. Thanks.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
vanlady said:
Share revenues with a strict luxury tax and the league will be fine.

Sure, why not.

Oh... wait... the players don't want that. A strict tax works too much like a cap in their minds.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
dawgbone said:
Sure, why not.

Oh... wait... the players don't want that. A strict tax works too much like a cap in their minds.

The players have propose a luxury tax and Bettman has said that a luxury tax does not work.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:
The players have propose a luxury tax and Bettman has said that a luxury tax does not work.

Not at 20% on the dollar, and the union has already said that it views a stiff tax as a cap.

degroat*

John Flyers Fan said:

Even if the owner would accept a tax, hinting that the league might accept one would be a mistake on Bettman's part.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Stich said:
Even if the owner would accept a tax, hinting that the league might accept one would be a mistake on Bettman's part.

And that's why we'll have no hockey this year.

A stiff luxury tax would be a better option for the NHL than a hard cap IMO. The luxury tax provides money for revenue sharing, while the a salary cap does not.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
vanlady said:
I have a question then, why doesn't the league just put in franchise financial rules about deficits and just skip the CBA issue all together. It's not like other franchise companies don't do it. Force GM's and owners into living within a budget, institute revenue sharing and the issue is taken care of without messing with the CBA

Doesn't such a proposal fly in face of all of your beliefs about crooked owners and creative accounting? Or does it not count if it may benefit the players?

Essentially, that is exactly what the league is proposing by "cost certainty"....

degroat*

John Flyers Fan said:
And that's why we'll have no hockey this year.

A stiff luxury tax would be a better option for the NHL than a hard cap IMO. The luxury tax provides money for revenue sharing, while the a salary cap does not.

Just because a salary cap isn't a revenue sharing program within itself doesn't mean that there won't be revenue sharing. Each of the league's 6 proposals included revenue sharing to some extent. If the players felt it wasn't enough, they could force the league to share more if they were to accept a cap.

Here's the thing though... under a cap, less revenue sharing would be necessary because the same payroll of $X would get a team better players under a capped system than it would get under a taxed system. This is because under a luxury tax, the player market is still set by the high spending teams.

YellHockey*

dawgbone said:
Except that the rich teams can continue to set salary levels higher than everyone else. It's not the best teams setting the markets, it's the richest teams.

The rich teams don't set the salary levels. It is set by the teams that own the rights to the best players.

The best players set the salaries for those under them.

Right now teams like Calgary and Tampa Bay have had more influence on salary levels then any other team. Are they rich teams?

And why would a rich team deliberately raise the market value for a player? It would be throwing away money and really stupid. There is no benefit for a rich team to pay any more then the market rate for a player.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
BlackRedGold said:
And why would a rich team deliberately raise the market value for a player? It would be throwing away money and really stupid. There is no benefit for a rich team to pay any more then the market rate for a player.

Not always a stupid move... Pro sports are excellent tax shelters for billionaires... What accountant could reasonably argue that Holik isn't worth $9 million, for example... The Rangers can convincingly justify the Holik expense... It's on the books, fully disclosed, and it's legit... However, the owners true motives (like all of our true motives), may never be known or disclosed... IMO, the owners have it in them to do such a thing (even though it may not be the best thing for the game)...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
dawgbone said:
Except that the rich teams can continue to set salary levels higher than everyone else. It's not the best teams setting the markets, it's the richest teams
This sounds like what would happen, but its not totally accurate when we observe what happened. Rich teams dont set the market for rookies as they are capped.

After the first 3 years of a players mandatory 3 years of 2 way contracts, they have 2 years with no arbitration rights and only qualify for a 10% raise in their qualifying offer, which is a fair amount if the players is progressing as hoped. If he's not, working hard to find a system so you can get him cheaper without putting him on waivers hardly seems valuable.

When players get the right to arbitration after 5 years and until they are a UFA, the big markets may be able to afford higher salaries, but why would they? Toronto could afford to pay Kaberle $4mil, but they fought not to. The fact right now is the current setters of the arbitration eligible salary bars are players from Canadian team: Iginla for forwards, Jovo-Redden for defensemen, Théo for goalies, No ranger or red wings in sight. And the union offered to knock those comparable 5% as an OPENING offer.

Arbitration doesnt always mean big markets set the person who will be the comparable. Small markets can set it first and then the big markets will gladly follow as they are required to.

UFA's, accept whatever they get offered. Sports will have to learn to live with this decision of the courts and not try always for end-runs around it.

One of the owners 6 propsed concepts for a new salary structure was centralized negotiation of salaries. Now obviously this cant be done with UFAs, but a compromise should be able to be made where the RFAs are paid out of a capped revenue shared pot, and negotiations exist between the agent and the league rather the agent and the team. Probably a tough sell for the players but maybe there is room in there to find something.

vanlady said:
a fiscal responsibility clause in the franchise agreement.
Now there's an idea eh. When Ottawa was in bankruptcy protection, the league ran us like this, we still managed to make deadline day transactions.

Im still unsure what I think of the concept of a "strict" luxury cap. I'd think we'd want an "effective" one. If spending disparity is natural for teams to cycle through, then why is the cap needed to restrict spending, isnt the purpose to raise the most money?

copperandblue said:
Essentially, that is exactly what the league is proposing by "cost certainty
Not quite. I'd think the responsibility clause ensures they dont spend more than that. The cost certainty ensures the players play for that.

stitch said:
Just because a salary cap isn't a revenue sharing program within itself doesn't mean that there won't be revenue sharing. Each of the league's 6 proposals included revenue sharing to some extent.

Here is a link to the 6 proposed concepts.
The Owners 6 Proposals

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I in the Eye said:
Not always a stupid move... Pro sports are excellent tax shelters for billionaires... What accountant could reasonably argue that Holik isn't worth $9 million, for example... The Rangers can convincingly justify the Holik expense... It's on the books, fully disclosed, and it's legit... However, the owners true motives (like all of our true motives), may never be known or disclosed... IMO, the owners have it in them to do such a thing (even though it may not be the best thing for the game)...

I've always wondered about that line of thinking. What advantage is there for Rangers/owners to do this?

a) Pay Holik $9m and get $0 for themselves

b) Keep all $9m, ignore Holik, pocket $6m and pay $3m in corporate taxes.

Would you rather
a) $0
b) $6m

Is there some special sports franchise tax rebate or 250% tax deduction that I don't know about?

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Jag68Vlady27 said:
How is the NHL system better for fans?

The same way the MLB system is better for the fans... the Fans in Boston, New York, etc... love it.

And that is exactly where the NHL will head. I'd rather not watch MLB on ice, but that's just me.

Brent Burns Beard