Can Laine Score 50 in 50?

Can Laine Score 50 in 50

• Total voters

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Would love to setup a poll. Can this kid score 50 goals in 50 games at some point in his career. I mean it looks so easy right now and it won't always be that way. But he's making goalies look like dog meat, and good ones at that. Wonder what people think?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
No, Laine Has the potential to score 35-45 in 50 maybe but that would take a lot of stamina and confidence for him to do such a thing.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I think Ovie had like 48 in 50 at some point.

It's very unlikely, but technically it could happen.

Reactions: Peggy

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Laine will become a Generational Monster Scoring Super Star....

Acronym: GMSSS = Generational Monster Scoring Super Star...

Its actually scary to think what this teen kid will do in his twenties...

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yes he could, but more likely not. I think he probably has a few 60 goal seasons in him, but who knows if anyone in this era has a shot at a 70 goal season it is him.

The thing that's so difficult to assess here is that Laine is only 19 years old. Also it seems like he's moving and hustling a lot better. He's definitely moving a lot faster now.

I would not at all discount Laine scoring 70 goals in 1 or 2 seasons -- but I think for sure he'll have numerous 50 goal seasons.

The bad part this year now is-- will he cost $ 10 mil plus now ?? -- I think so. I'd rather have seen him score around 40 is this year, and sign him for $ 8 mil. I'd hate to see it get to where we get into Laine for $ 11 or 12 mil-- like McDavid.

This kind of "star contract" really throws off our contract equilibrium, and doesn't allow us to keep "all" our upper middle players, and keep our "depth." Look how the Hawks and Oilers are suffering this year with 1 or 2 guys eating up a big percentage of the Cap space.

Last edited:

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

The thing that's so difficult to access here is that Laine is only 19 years old. Also it seems like he's moving and hustling a lot better. He's definitley moving a lot faster now.

I would not at all discount Laine scoring 70 goals in 1 or 2 seasons -- but I think for sure he'll have numerous 50 goal seasons.

The bad part this year now is-- will he cost $ 10 mil plus now ?? -- I think so. I'd rather have seen him score around 40 is this year, and sign him for $ 8 mil. I'd hate to see it get to where we get into Laine for $ 11 or 12 mil-- like McDavid.

This kind of "star contract" really throws off our contract equilibrium, and doesn't allow us to keep "all" our upper middle players, and keep our "depth." Look how the Hawks and Oilers are suffering this year with 1 or 2 guys eating up a big percentage of the Cap space.

Agree with your post. The more successful Laine is at scoring over the last 16 games the more millions it will cost the Jets to resign him long term. If Laine gets more then 10M this will only hurt the Jets long term because we will have to trade away good young talent to stay within the cap. Hope Laine will put winning ahead of money and sign for 8M or less.

Reactions: GNP and Ippenator

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Laine will become a Generational Monster Scoring Super Star....

Acronym: GMSSS = Generational Monster Scoring Super Star...

Its actually scary to think what this teen kid will do in his twenties...

So, a gemssi.

gemssi.jpg

(Rupicapra rupicapra, a goat animal)

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
10 to 12 mil.

Is McDavid , crosby Kane malkin and toews territory.

Those guys have hardwares and have lead the league sometime before getting paid.

I love my Laine but
8M is a good salary for him.8 yrs.

10M is not happening unless he scores 60 this year ;)

Looks like the kid is not greedy also. The way he conducts himself on and ofd the ice.

I was hoping 7-8M that is a hometown discount if that ever happens. Unlikely though.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Always thought that he has potential for 70-100 goals at his prime if set-up man is good enough and Statsny is more than that.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

The thing that's so difficult to access here is that Laine is only 19 years old. Also it seems like he's moving and hustling a lot better. He's definitley moving a lot faster now.

They are suffering this year, but they where also cup winnners a couple of times. It would be nice to have superstars for a bargain price, but that is not how the market works. You just have to make it worth it when you sign your star players, and the Jets timing is perfect with this group right now. The window wide is open.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
In todays NHL??? In todays NHL you actually score more goals
and its easier to score goals as well it seems.

Anyone here paying attention to this season?.
W. Karlsson pacing for 40+ goals is a dead giveaway, if you ask me.

4-10 years ago, i doubt even Laine could of scored more than 50 in a full season.
Nowadays,...during this era, in the next few years (one more new team)
goal scoring goes even more up, 30-40 goals becomes a norm,
50 goal marker gets beaten with more players each year (after this season
and seasons to come).

Laine at his prime, we can only guess where his ceiling ends up,
scoring 50 in 50? looks more likely than not, i say.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's very unlikely. But meh, 1% chance is still something that can happen a reasonable amount of time. So I think it's enough for me to call it possible.

It really wouldn't be the first time that a player shoots at 50% above his career average, for example. And at 30 shooting% Laine could score a ton of goals.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Agree with your post. The more successful Laine is at scoring over the last 16 games the more millions it will cost the Jets to resign him long term. If Laine gets more then 10M this will only hurt the Jets long term because we will have to trade away good young talent to stay within the cap. Hope Laine will put winning ahead of money and sign for 8M or less.
I seriously hope this way too. So far he has given me the impression that he is a humble and understanding person in these kind of issues. The team and winning for the team are that important for him, so I at least dare to hope that he could sign for 8M per season. Of course if it is really so that even the player’s union has at least some say in it, it might lead to 10M per season or even more. But I still dare to hope for 8M...

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I voted No but would like to add the addendum of, maybe one day.

Right now, I can't see anyone really getting close. I do however think scoring is on the way up. So, if it goes up enough and 50 in 50 is a possibility, he'd probably be at the top of my list to do it.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
he'll reach 50 in 82 some years i'm sure, but no not 50 in 50, not in this era.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Yes, when the league finally makes the nets larger to compensate for all the mammoth tenders that have taken over the position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad